PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Xevross

Sep 04, 2020, 06:57 PM Last Edit: Sep 04, 2020, 06:59 PM by Xevross
yes, but clearly that upward estimate was due to covid-19 clearly have a positive impact on the demand for video game products.   when sony made the lower forcast covid had not yet closed america if i remember correctly and thus sony's estimate was based on the rules for a "normal market".   but sony was crystal clear at the time,.. they expected demand to be lower due to higher price of the hardware.   thus i don't think it is unfair to expect a price higher than $400 for ps5.  costs will not have suddenly become significantly lower recently.  sony's adjustment was due to clear and measurable evidence of an increase in demand for video game products due to the covid lock downs and self isolation.
I don't think anyone is expecting $400 for the regular PS5. PS5 could be $500 and what Sony said would make sense. It would also make a lot of sense if they weren't planning a digital console when they released the first estimate. It did take everyone by surprise in June, which suggests it wasn't in the planning for long. It wouldn't need to be planned for long either since its just PS4 with no disc drive. You wouldn't need much notice to start the production of it.

Perhaps Sony saw the opportunity of the pandemic and the competition of series S and later decided to make the digital edition which would be much cheaper and allow them to double the order of consoles. Just a theory, we don't really know enough about this. What we do know is Sony is making 10 million consoles this year and will want to quickly sell them all. If PS5 is really expensive I don't think they will.