PS5: Holiday 2020, Hatpic Controller, 4k Blu Ray and More

Viewing single post

Started by kitler53, Oct 08, 2019, 01:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for Second Wired:
<br><a href="https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5—Haptics, UI Facelift, and More | WIRED</a><br><br><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">The console, he tells me, will be called PlayStation 5. &quot;It&#39;s nice to be able to say it,&quot; he says. &quot;Like a giant burden has been lifted from my shoulders.&quot;<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">"There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," he says, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">But data adds up too. &quot;If you look at a game like Marvel&#39;s Spider-Man,&quot; Cerny says, &quot;there are some pieces of data duplicated 400 times on the hard drive.&quot; The SSD sweeps away the need for all that duping--so not only is its raw read speed dramatically faster than a hard drive, but it saves crucial space. How developers will take advantage of that space will likely differ; some may opt to build a larger or more detailed game world, others may be content to shrink the size of the games or patches. Either way, physical games for the PS5 will use 100-GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">Either way, physical games for the PS5 will use 100-GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">However, game installation (which is mandatory, given the speed difference between the SSD and the optical drive) will be a bit different than in the PS4. This time around, aided in part by the simplified game data possible with the SSD, Sony is changing its approach to storage, making for a more configurable installation--and removal--process. &quot;Rather than treating games like a big block of data,&quot; Cerny says, &quot;we&#39;re allowing finer-grained access to the data.&quot; That could mean the ability to install just a game&#39;s multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you&#39;ve finished it.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">Regardless of what parts of a game you choose to install and play, you&#39;ll be able to stay abreast of it via a completely revamped user interface. The PS4&#39;s bare-bones home screen at times feels frozen in amber; you can see what your friends have recently done or even what game title they might be playing at the moment, but without launching an individual title there&#39;s no way to tell what single-player missions you could do or what multiplayer matches you can join. The PS5 will change that<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">The controller (which history suggests will one day be called the DualShock 5, though Cerny just says &quot;it doesn&#39;t have a name yet&quot;) does have some features Cerny&#39;s more interested in acknowledging. One is &quot;adaptive triggers&quot; that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing--the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back--or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun. It also boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR&#39;s Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct--and surprisingly immersive--tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">Next, a version of Gran Turismo Sport that Sony had ported over to a PS5 devkit--a devkit that on quick glance looks a lot like the one Gizmodo reported on last week. (The company refused to comment on questions about how the devkit&#39;s form factor might compare to what&#39;s being considered for the consumer product.) Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn&#39;t that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of GT Sport simply didn&#39;t use it.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div>