VizionEck turns 7!!!

Started by Legend, Aug 21, 2020, 04:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

VizionEck LLC was founded August 21, 2013. Exactly one console generation later, VizionEck turns 7.

This gen was filled with delays but it was also filled with incredible growth. I released a game for PS4, PSVR, Steam, and steam vr, all as a solo developer. It's insane looking back on that fact, even though it was just a side project.

VizionEck the game has gone through years of development hell. From 2014 to ~2017, I was not in a good mental state. I became obsessed with turning my niche indie game into a game that pleased everyone and was goty caliber. That led to development restarting multiple times and a massive amount of feature creep. I escaped that though and split the game into Cube Royale and Adventure.

I recently made a dev blog post about the state of Cube Royale. TLDR: current plan is to keep it in the vault a little longer, and then make it free for any owner of one of my games.

VizionEck Adventure is in a really good position. It's literally a different game now, built upon the original concept. Large alien spaceship that the player explores without hand holding. Development has moved to next gen but I will downport it to PS4 if reasonable.

All in all, that completes my review of the generation. My big game did not release and my small game did not release, but my tiny one did and that's good enough for me! The company has made back its investments and is entering next gen in a very capable position.

In the spirit of the next 7 years, here's a mindless prediction of how next gen might go. There is essentially zero thought put into this, so have fun!

Big fantasy game-Forged Odyssey
Big space game-VizionEck Adventure
Huge fantasy game-X
Huge space game-Y

Maybe the more realistic prediction is that I'll only manage one release for next gen  ::)

the-pi-guy

. I became obsessed with turning my niche indie game into a game that pleased everyone and was goty caliber. That led to development restarting multiple times and a massive amount of feature creep. I escaped that though and split the game into Cube Royale and Adventure.
I'm glad to:
1.) Hear that you've moved on from that
2.) Say that I don't have the same problem.  8) proudly say no one will like my game except for teachers and weird people who like this sort of stuff.

the-pi-guy

But for real. You should be proud. You've come a long way and have some very cool projects under your belt. I'm very much looking forward to your other projects.
I'm a tad envious as I wish I had done more in the past.

Legend

@the-Pi-guy

Thanks!

I joke that the first 4 years were a college replacement (no degree but no debt). Now everything feels much more business focused. Screw learning, I need to make money to eat lol.

Forged Odyssey and the new VizionEck Adventure are designed to punch above their weight and feel like they have huge scopes instead of actually having huge scopes.