Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Love love love that phase 4 lineup. Guess I'm gonna be getting disney+ ;D

Also weekend estimates are coming in and Endgame is now officially the #1 film of all time (dom thru. Sunday and overseas thru. friday totals $2.7902b). Huzzah!

TLK estimated $185m dom debut, disney lowballing the Sunday like usual so should end round about $190m in the end. Very good debut, lets see how the legs are.

I watched TLK earlier and really enjoyed it. Its TLK, if you love TLK you'll love this, simple really. You don't think about the lack of colour compared to the original when you're in the film, and the facial animations are fine, you get used to them pretty quick. Timon and Pumba are amazing, they make a few hilarious meta jokes as well.

The original is better if you watch clips side by side but when you're in the theater TLK is still a visual treat, just in a different way. Critics were being super super harsh with this one for sure.

Xevross

Also we can now say with certainty that this year will set the new record for $1B WW grossers.

Endgame and Captain Marvel already there. Spidey and Aladdin are very close and will have it probably next weekend, Toy Story 4 is holding like a champ and will fly past $1b as its yet to open in a few markets. TLK has a big $530m estimated total so far and is also going to fly past the $1b mark, although this was never in doubt. That's 6 films, beating the previous record of 5. Frozen 2 and Star Wars Ep. 9 still to come as well.

Amazing year for the box office, next year is going to be really sad in comparison.

Legend

Are those the real movie names? Some of them sound and look really bad. Also where does Black Panther 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 fit into this?

the-pi-guy

Are those the real movie names? Some of them sound and look really bad.
Yes and no.  

All are real.  Not all of them are movies though.  What if... Is a TV show for an example.  

When I saw IGN share it, I did a double take expecting it to be from The Onion.  
Also where does Black Panther 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 fit into this?
GotG 3 has no release date yet.  

It sounds like both will come after.

Xevross

Jul 21, 2019, 06:14 PM Last Edit: Jul 21, 2019, 06:20 PM by Xevross
Are those the real movie names? Some of them sound and look really bad. Also where does Black Panther 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 fit into this?
Yep! What Pi said. I love all the names, I love that they're getting a bit whack with some of them. Which ones do you think are bad? I can see Shang Chi being a bit eh but I like it.

Fantastic Four, Guardians 3, Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 were all confirmed but given no official title or release date. They are probably 2022-2023 titles. Guardians 3 we know is waiting for James Gunn to finish with Suicide Squad.

Blade was also announced with Mahershala Ali playing the main character, that was given a logo but no more info. So I guess that's gonna be 2022.

Spider-Man could fit in here as well, as that would be announced separately by Sony. Some are suggesting that since the 2021 July slot is free they may put Spidey there and have 4 MCU films for 2021. Either way MCU films for the next 4 years looks like this:

Black Widow (May 2020)
The Eternals (Nov 2020)
Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Feb 2021)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 2021)
Thor: Love and Thunder (Nov 2021)

Spidey 3 (unannounced but likely 2021-2022, Sony want that MCU money)
Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Guardians 3, Blade, Fantastic Four (2022-2023)

Either one of the above will be turned into a Civil War style teamup film or we'll also get a dedicated Avengers teamup film 2022-2023. Looks great to me, I'm super hyped especially for a horror Doctor Strange film with Wanda and a female-led LGBTQ+ Thor film.

Legend

What If is the worst offender in my opinion but as a tv show that is more reasonable.

Loki and Hawkeye just feel lazy. Marvel really likes movies named after the lead character but it's kinda different since these characters have already been in a lot of films and are side characters. A subtitle like Spiderman Homecoming would make more sense to me. Black Widow is the same but for some reason the name works a bit better imo, maybe since she has been treated as mysterious and not an open book.

Wanda Vision sounds like a play on words, like smell-o-vision. Is this a joke they're going for or are they trying to be serious? I just don't get it either way.

The rest are just really wordy besides Eternals. Kinda feels like a modern trend though. We're past the period of having hard gritty titles for movies and are now having ones reminiscent of old adventure novels. I'm sorta down for it.

Xevross

What If is the worst offender in my opinion but as a tv show that is more reasonable.

Loki and Hawkeye just feel lazy. Marvel really likes movies named after the lead character but it's kinda different since these characters have already been in a lot of films and are side characters. A subtitle like Spiderman Homecoming would make more sense to me. Black Widow is the same but for some reason the name works a bit better imo, maybe since she has been treated as mysterious and not an open book.

Wanda Vision sounds like a play on words, like smell-o-vision. Is this a joke they're going for or are they trying to be serious? I just don't get it either way.

The rest are just really wordy besides Eternals. Kinda feels like a modern trend though. We're past the period of having hard gritty titles for movies and are now having ones reminiscent of old adventure novels. I'm sorta down for it.
Well what would you name what if...? I think its a great name for what it is.

Yeah not a big fan of Loki/ Hawkeye's names but they're just TV shows that are gonna be disney+ exclusives, not like their name matters.

Wordy film titles are always weird, they can be a mouthful and risk putting people off. Don't think the MCU has that problem, if anything whacky titles are just gonna make more people interested.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

This is horrific

https://www.resetera.com/threads/kyoto-animation-a-silent-voice-haruhi-free-clannad-on-fire-in-premeditated-arson-attack-update-death-toll-reaches-34-see-staff-post.129650/
Its shocking all round, how it could happen and how it killed so many people. Hopefully Japan's government deals with this way better than UK government did with Grenfell. Fire safety is so important.

the-pi-guy

Its shocking all round, how it could happen and how it killed so many people. Hopefully Japan's government deals with this way better than UK government did with Grenfell. Fire safety is so important.
I just don't understand why someone would do that.  :(

----

On the brighter side Japan might be getting a new number one movie at their box office.  

Shinkai's Weathering With You Film Earns 1.64 Billion Yen in 1st 3 Days - News - Anime News Network

If it keeps it up.  It probably won't though.  Probably front loaded due to his previous movie doing so well.

the-pi-guy

There are as many 2 billion dollar movies right now as there were 1 billion dollar movies in 2007.  

Not bad.

Xevross

Jul 22, 2019, 09:32 PM Last Edit: Jul 22, 2019, 09:34 PM by Xevross
People already talking about Endgame not beating Avatar due to inflation, how tiring. Avatar was boosted so high by a crazy weak dollar in 2009 and the 3d craze. BOT expert/ insider estimates it has global admissions of about 275million, compared to 400m of Titanic before it.

Of course 275m is still massive, it wasn't beaten again until Infinity War came along with about 300m tickets sold. Endgame WW estimate is about 370m, so about 100 million tickets more than Avatar. Shouldn't be a contest between them really.

Go Up