PS5 predictions

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 05, 2018, 08:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

DerNebel

It'll be announced this year.

darkknightkryta

Xevross

It'll be announced this year.
They should only do that if its releasing like Feb 2020 or earlier. No point announcing PS5 during a holiday season when PS4 could still be selling well. It wouldn't be much of an impact, but announcing PS5 before the holiday sales are done would hurt the PS4 at least somewhat.

DerNebel

Feb 10, 2019, 03:11 PM Last Edit: Feb 10, 2019, 07:46 PM by DerNebel
They should only do that if its releasing like Feb 2020 or earlier. No point announcing PS5 during a holiday season when PS4 could still be selling well. It wouldn't be much of an impact, but announcing PS5 before the holiday sales are done would hurt the PS4 at least somewhat.
Holiday sales will be notably down and largely rely on promotions anyways, just like the rest of the year. Also look at how investors reacted after this quarters results. Imagine how they'll react during an entire year of dropping sales, with no information on the future given.

The rumor is that the original plan was to release the PS5 in 2019, which was then pushed back due to several factors (sales of the PS4, software...), so I would not be surprised if Sony decided to release the PS5 next spring but would be shocked if Sony attempted to drag out this entire year without talking about next gen.

Xevross

Holiday sales will be notably down and largely rely on promotions anyways, just like the rest of the year. Also look at how investors reacted after this quarters results. Imagine how they'll react during an entire year of dropping sales, with no information on the future given.

The rumor is that the original plan was to release the PS5 in 2019, which was then pushed back due to several factors (sales of the PS4, software...), so I would not be surprised if Sony decided to release the PS5 next spring but would be shocked if Sony attempted to drag out this entire year without talking about next gen.
I guess its whichever strategy you think would be best. Do you have a pretty poor year, announce almost nothing, and let PS4 sell what it can with a price drop. Then you launch straight into PS5 and have an incredible 2020. This wouldn't strangle any life out of PS4, with people perhaps holding off on games and systems since a PS5 has been announced, probably with BC. But a slow news year would lower playstation's overall momentum, and perhaps do harm to PS5s initial sales.

I think the best strategy will be announcement of PS5 at PSX in December or very early Jan, then launch in the first half of 2020. Basically what Nintendo did with Switch, which worked really well. I think dates and timings will depend on GoT, TLOU and DS though. If at least 2 can come out in 2019 then I think Sony are fine with waiting until 2020 to talk PS5.

the-pi-guy

It just feels like PS is in a weird place, because it doesn't really feel like there are enough PS4 games to fill in the space till PS5 releases.  

I basically see it going one of two ways:

PS5 showing late this year, releasing early 2020.  Show off the big launch titles.  I feel like that's probably the best thing to do, because it'll make the gap smaller.  

Otherwise I think Sony will try repeating their PS4 launch year.
Announce it early 2020.  Basically spend 8 months hyping up titles.  

Xevross

It just feels like PS is in a weird place, because it doesn't really feel like there are enough PS4 games to fill in the space till PS5 releases.  

I basically see it going one of two ways:

PS5 showing late this year, releasing early 2020.  Show off the big launch titles.  I feel like that's probably the best thing to do, because it'll make the gap smaller.  

Otherwise I think Sony will try repeating their PS4 launch year.
Announce it early 2020.  Basically spend 8 months hyping up titles.  
Yep its going to be one of these two. And I think it entirely depends on when their studios can have their games ready. They want to have a good launch, so should wait until there's at least a couple big launch exclusives. My guess would be Horizon 2 and something from Japan studio (which would be extremely similar to PS4 launch). But if that's going to take too long then PS4 could have a real dry patch which would hurt the brand.

I think the best case scenario is 2 of GoT, TLOU and DS launch this year. That means 2019 would be Days Gone, Dreams +2 of those 3, which would be an excellent year. Then the remaining title launches early 2020, and PS5 launches a few months later or at the same time with that title being cross gen like BOTW for Switch.

Go Up