Laurel vs Yanny

Started by Xevross, May 17, 2018, 02:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Which do you hear, or can you tune in to both?

the-pi-guy

The first time I thought I was hearing both.  Except I was moreso hearing Yaurel.  

But now I can only hear Laurel.  

Xevross

The first time I thought I was hearing both.  Except I was moreso hearing Yaurel.  

But now I can only hear Laurel.  
I've only heard yanny when I listened to one which had its frequency changed. Apart from that I can only hear Laurel. Its to do with which frequencies your brain focuses on, high or low. Yanny is high frequency and Laurel is low.

the-pi-guy

I've only heard yanny when I listened to one which had its frequency changed. Apart from that I can only hear Laurel. Its to do with which frequencies your brain focuses on, high or low. Yanny is high frequency and Laurel is low.
Makes sense.

Kerotan

Laurel most of the time but sometimes I can hear both..

Legend

May 17, 2018, 04:38 AM Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:43 AM by Legend
Yammy

edt: ok I put it into audacity to mess with it and now it makes perfect sense.

Xevross

Yammy

edt: ok I put it into audacity to mess with it and now it makes perfect sense.
Yeah, its nice that it has an easy explanation. Its taken over the internet like the dress did, but this is much less creepy and has a simple explanation.

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

May 17, 2018, 10:59 PM Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:00 PM by the-pi-guy
My younger brothers hear Laurel.  

Dad says it's a dead duck . ;D

Legend

Yeah, its nice that it has an easy explanation. Its taken over the internet like the dress did, but this is much less creepy and has a simple explanation.
The dress one has to do with visual cues which are so ingrained into our brains that it's impossible to change them. This one however is more about your brain actively trying to sort info out so it's much simpler to get people to experience both versions of this effect.

Basically it's this but without the video to push your brain in one direction or the other:

I'm surprised this hasn't gone viral yet:

the-pi-guy

Xevross

We Made a Tool So You Can Hear Both Yanny and Laurel - The New York Times
My critical point is almost at two bars to the right of the centre / seven from the left. I guess I'm about 69% Laurel :D