What are your favorite car brands?

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 08, 2019, 03:34 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Some people love their Fords and hate Chevy's.  
Others love their Chevy's and hate Fords.  
Personally I don't care for either.

I really love the idea of a Tesla, but I can hardly afford it.

Overall the brand that I stick with is Toyota.

BananaKing

I love Porsche. It's just so elegant

Legend

I like Bugattis and teslas. Mclaren is also great.

Legend

Oh and semi related but since it was asked a while ago, my 1996 explorer has 143,000 miles.

kitler53

i hate cars.  the world would be a better place without them. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Oct 13, 2019, 09:31 PM Last Edit: Oct 13, 2019, 10:52 PM by Legend
i hate cars.  the world would be a better place without them.
I don't really care about cars outside of the really expensive ones, but I think about this a lot actually.

Countless lives have been lost due to cars both directly and indirectly yet instead of it being viewed as a necessary evil, it's barely talked about. Plus roads are unbelievably stupid. Like ~1/4 of all developed land in America is roads. It costs trillions of dollars, is bad for the environment, and is bad for people. All the electric scooters that popped up in metro areas are dumb but it feels like we are finally at a point in time where roads will decrease in usage instead of increase. Uber usage has apparently dropped significantly in Denver since they arrived.

Xevross

i hate cars.  the world would be a better place without them.
I don't really care about cares outside of the really expensive ones, but I think about this a lot actually.

Countless lives have been lost due to cars both directly and indirectly yet instead of it being viewed as a necessary evil, it's barely talked about. Plus roads are unbelievably stupid. Like ~1/4 of all developed land in America is roads. It costs trillions of dollars, is bad for the environment, and is bad for people. All the electric scooters that popped up in metro areas are dumb but it feels like we are finally at a point in time where roads will decrease in usage instead of increase. Uber usage has apparently dropped significantly in Denver since they arrived.
This is definitely very true, cars are one of the worst things the human race has invented in temrs of impact on human health and the environment. The sooner we reach all electric self-driving cars only, the better.

That being said, McLaren are bae.

the-pi-guy

This is definitely very true, cars are one of the worst things the human race has invented in temrs of impact on human health and the environment. The sooner we reach all electric self-driving cars only, the better.

I am right there with ya.  

nnodley

Speaking of cars.  I'm keeping the Tesla.  i'll make it work because why not and i see it as an investment to not have to worry about gas and a lot of maintenance as i get it paid off

But yeah i love teslas!!

kitler53

you don't really think electric is a solution do you?  just because it doesn't run on gas doesn't mean it doesn't run on gas.  the electricity that runs a tesla was almost certainly made by burning gas.  yes a industrial combustion turbine is a lot more efficient than a car's but it is still a massive amount of emissions.   

what we really need to do is have a massive culture shift that shames and critiques everyone's every day decisions.  do you really need a straw to get that liquid from a glass to your mouth?   do you really need your cheese slices individually wrapped?  is that poorly executed single use mcdonalds toy really worth it?  

and the far bigger ones like,.. do you really need to move to the suburbs to have a good life?  driving 35 miles to work,.. hating all that lawn work you now have to do,.. 

it's "cool" to hate the oil and gas industry but they don't do business with themselves.  they fullfill our "need" to drive, to have single use plastics.  we are all pieces of shame in every thing we do.

Xevross

you don't really think electric is a solution do you?  just because it doesn't run on gas doesn't mean it doesn't run on gas.  the electricity that runs a tesla was almost certainly made by burning gas.  yes a industrial combustion turbine is a lot more efficient than a car's but it is still a massive amount of emissions.  

what we really need to do is have a massive culture shift that shames and critiques everyone's every day decisions.  do you really need a straw to get that liquid from a glass to your mouth?   do you really need your cheese slices individually wrapped?  is that poorly executed single use mcdonalds toy really worth it?  

and the far bigger ones like,.. do you really need to move to the suburbs to have a good life?  driving 35 miles to work,.. hating all that lawn work you now have to do,..

it's "cool" to hate the oil and gas industry but they don't do business with themselves.  they fullfill our "need" to drive, to have single use plastics.  we are all pieces of shame in every thing we do.
Well obviously not, we need complete conversion to clean, renewable energy as soon as possible. I'm really wish it was a standard to have solar panels on every new building that's constructed, that alone would be a really big shift.

Straws are always battleship, I try to avoid them. If people really like straws they should buy themselves a metal one like a few of my friends have done. Food waste is one of the biggest problems in modern society, which you didn't mention, I can't believe the amount of food that normal people waste. I try my best to make sure I eat every bit of food I buy, I plan my meals so that nothing will go past its use by date and shame like that. Its so easy to do, but people just don't care. I also cut beef out of my diet and the only meat I eat now is checken, apart from occasionally some bacon on things.

I think most people live in suburbs because they can't afford prices in the centre of cities. I'll be the same in a year, probably commuting into a city centre from suburbs, but I'll be using public transport.

People are just too lazy and fall back on convenience. If everyone made a shift in their lifestyle it would be a massive change, but people are either uneducated about what they can do, don't care or are lazy. I'm guilty of that as well, sometimes I don't check exactly what I can recycle, I buy products that come in way too much plastic even though there's probably alternatives, I'm not going veggie because I love chicken too much. Still, I'm probably doing a lot more than the average person out there.

the-pi-guy

you don't really think electric is a solution do you?  just because it doesn't run on gas doesn't mean it doesn't run on gas.  the electricity that runs a tesla was almost certainly made by burning gas.  yes a industrial combustion turbine is a lot more efficient than a car's but it is still a massive amount of emissions.  
Some people have solar panels and batteries to charge their Tesla's.  The actual electricity generation being clean is a pretty much solved problem.  Even though we have a long ways to go before converting the entire grid to that.    

The bigger concern I'd have with electric cars is whether we can really manufacture those cars without releasing carbon dioxide, or whether we can make them from sources that are abundant, as well as environmentally friendly.

what we really need to do is have a massive culture shift that shames and critiques everyone's every day decisions.  do you really need a straw to get that liquid from a glass to your mouth?   do you really need your cheese slices individually wrapped?  is that poorly executed single use mcdonalds toy really worth it?  
With straws at least, there are non-plastic options.  
Some companies are making hemp straws and seaweed straws that are supposed to be entirely biodegradeable.  

and the far bigger ones like,.. do you really need to move to the suburbs to have a good life?  driving 35 miles to work,.. hating all that lawn work you now have to do,..
The US needs a massive overhaul with their public transport.

kitler53

Oct 14, 2019, 04:01 PM Last Edit: Oct 14, 2019, 04:12 PM by kitler53
just so no one thinks i'm too high and mighty,.. i'm also a climate failure.   i live in the suburbs.  while i take public transit to work my wife drives a gas guzzling mini van because "kids".  i've been trying to reduce my beef consumption as of late but i still eat it.  i have 2 ps4's. 

i've tried to make some sustainability choices in certain places like getting a reel lawn mower and going LED for all my light bulbs but overall i'm still failing the earth.  i'm just very sad and angry about it. 

@Xevross - food waste is easily the most wasteful thing in my life.  or maybe not but it is the most frustrating part because there is almost nothing i can do to improve in this area.

Dr. Pezus

Tesla and German cars like Benz, volkswagen, BMW.

Also Volvo!

SWORDF1SH

Ones with a horn. What can I say? I like horns!