TV Show Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 07, 2014, 03:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Great episode!

Rewatched last week's episode too. Was better knowing what type of show it was.

Then was worse since this episode was also slow at times.

Ending saved this from being just "good."

Xevross

Brilliant episode but my god am I disappointed and upset for so many reasons. All this build up and the night king goes down like an idiot without killing anyone important or even doing anything like fighting anyone. Where did Arya even come from at the end? I loved that Arya killed him but it was so out of the blue.

Direction was amazing thanks to Sapochnik but dang I hate this plot. Sure the Night King was close to winning but that was so predictable All this build up for such a predictable early ending to the Night King's conquest. No trick up his sleeve, no hidden motive or secret strategy... he was literally just trying to kill Bran just because reasons and then when he got to Bran he just stared at him doing nothing long enough to be stabbed in the back.

Ugh. What a disappointment.

At least Endgame delivered :P

Legend

Apr 29, 2019, 03:06 AM Last Edit: Apr 29, 2019, 03:09 AM by Legend
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Arya killing him was great imo because so much of the episode was spent developing her. If she didn&#39;t lose her confidence it wouldn&#39;t have been as unexpected or rewarding.<br><br>Melisandre teased the end by saying Arya will kill blue eyes and by quoting her dance teacher &quot;not today.&quot; I didn&#39;t catch the full meaning of that (thought it was just part of my repitition theory) at the time but it made sense by the end.<br><br>Also my brother didn&#39;t notice this but they showed Arya running up. A ice guy in the back had his hair pushed from her running past. Also cool callback to her dropping her weapon in training.<br><br>Everything leading up to the last 30 minutes was hit and miss for me. Battle was dark and not that interesting. Fire swords were awesome. Looked like there was no hope. But then no one important died and it just went on and on without death. The fog made it even harder to see.<br><br>Pip, lady mormont, jora mormont, theon, eye patch guy, dothraki leader, and melisandre were the deaths I caught. It was a fair amount but maybe more shouldn&#39;t have made it.<br><br><br>Killing the night king was good imo. I didn&#39;t want that to happen going into this season, but at this point he either had to die tonight, kill essentially the entire north, or die in the first few minutes next week.<br><br><br><br><br>

Xevross

Spoiler for Hidden:

Arya killing him was great imo because so much of the episode was spent developing her. If she didn't lose her confidence it wouldn't have been as unexpected or rewarding.

Melisandre teased the end by saying Arya will kill blue eyes and by quoting her dance teacher "not today." I didn't catch the full meaning of that (thought it was just part of my repitition theory) at the time but it made sense by the end.

Also my brother didn't notice this but they showed Arya running up. A ice guy in the back had his hair pushed from her running past. Also cool callback to her dropping her weapon in training.

Everything leading up to the last 30 minutes was hit and miss for me. Battle was dark and not that interesting. Fire swords were awesome. Looked like there was no hope. But then no one important died and it just went on and on without death. The fog made it even harder to see.

Pip, lady mormont, jora mormont, theon, eye patch guy, dothraki leader, and melisandre were the deaths I caught. It was a fair amount but maybe more shouldn't have made it.

Killing the night king was good imo. I didn't want that to happen going into this season, but at this point he either had to die tonight, kill essentially the entire north, or die in the first few minutes next week.

Agreed on that, Arya killing him is awesome but it was just way too easy. And yeah up to the last 30 minutes it was hit and miss but then the next 20-25 mins were amazing. As soon as the night king survived the dragonfire and raised the dead it was awesome and tense but as soon as everyone was just pinned down and not being killed for apparently no reason you knew what was gonna happen and it kind of ruined the tension for me.

GoT has been doing this for the last few seasons now, build up and tense moments but then fakeouts and nobody dying. This is what normal fantasy shows do, not game of thrones. Nobody important has died in so long, and you don't get worried any more because you can just tell they're gonna be okay. Jorah dying is the only exception but even so you could see that coming as well and he's not important anyway.

Xevross

All that build up for the night king to die in a single 8/10 quality episode. That's the disappointment. No long war, intricate plot or extremely clever twist. No major deaths or consequences. Nothing. All the build up for the night king and what did he do? Kill Jorah Mormont, Theon Greyjoy and a few minor characters. Wow, well done army of the dead you really devastated westeros. :-\

Xevross

Alt Shift X thinks the Night King might come back in some way. If he does then this episode is redeemed and it would be awesome. But if this is the end for the NK and Bran's storyline then yeah what a letdown.

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

Spoiler alert
Sorry I thought we were allowed to spoiler talk about aired episodes in here :P

Dr. Pezus

Sorry I thought we were allowed to spoiler talk about aired episodes in here :P
Not a few hours afterwards! It doesn't air here until like 1 AM lol

Xevross

Apr 29, 2019, 05:17 PM Last Edit: Apr 29, 2019, 06:09 PM by Xevross
Cross post from Era:

Spoiler for Hidden:
The direction of the episode was brilliant, Sapochnik did the best with the script he was given. The acting was also brilliant. Music was sensational. The problem for me is its just ruined because I don&#39;t feel any tension or suspense watching this show any more, because the writing is straight garbage. The number of times characters have been almost killed and then miraculously saved at the last minute these last few seasons is just comical at this point. Whenever I see any characters in a position like that I just automatically assume they&#39;re fine and I don&#39;t feel suspense at all. <br><br>I hoped this episode would be different as Sapochnik nailed it with his last two episodes, BoB was the last time I felt genuinely scared in a battle (when Jon was trapped and suffocating) and Winds with the sept blowing up I felt so much suspense in the build up, but this episode really missed the mark. I think episode 6 last season was the nail in the coffin in this regard, for me, after they all managed to escape that alive.<br><br>Any characters that do die, like Jorah and Beric in this episode are stabbed and injured straight away and its obvious where its going, the show draws out their deaths for emotion and makes it really obvious they&#39;re dying. Just makes it so there&#39;s no shocks any more.<br><br>You knew as soon as everyone was pinned down at the end but not being killed for... reasons... (I guess the wights suddenly decided hugs &gt; killing after all nameless guys were dead?) that the NK was about to be killed to save them all. Arya appearing out of nowhere didn&#39;t surprise me at all as a result, rather than being on the edge of my seat and being scared for all these characters, I was just sitting there waiting for that moment I knew was coming.

Dr. Pezus

Apr 29, 2019, 09:54 PM Last Edit: Apr 29, 2019, 10:00 PM by Dr. Pezus
All that build up for the night king to die in a single 8/10 quality episode. That's the disappointment. No long war, intricate plot or extremely clever twist. No major deaths or consequences. Nothing. All the build up for the night king and what did he do? Kill Jorah Mormont, Theon Greyjoy and a few minor characters. Wow, well done army of the dead you really devastated westeros. :-\
To be fair most of the north died there lol

Alt Shift X thinks the Night King might come back in some way. If he does then this episode is redeemed and it would be awesome. But if this is the end for the NK and Bran's storyline then yeah what a letdown.
I doubt he comes back. I do think this isn't the end of Bran's story

Cross post from Era:

Spoiler for Hidden:
The direction of the episode was brilliant, Sapochnik did the best with the script he was given. The acting was also brilliant. Music was sensational. The problem for me is its just ruined because I don't feel any tension or suspense watching this show any more, because the writing is straight garbage. The number of times characters have been almost killed and then miraculously saved at the last minute these last few seasons is just comical at this point. Whenever I see any characters in a position like that I just automatically assume they're fine and I don't feel suspense at all.

I hoped this episode would be different as Sapochnik nailed it with his last two episodes, BoB was the last time I felt genuinely scared in a battle (when Jon was trapped and suffocating) and Winds with the sept blowing up I felt so much suspense in the build up, but this episode really missed the mark. I think episode 6 last season was the nail in the coffin in this regard, for me, after they all managed to escape that alive.

Any characters that do die, like Jorah and Beric in this episode are stabbed and injured straight away and its obvious where its going, the show draws out their deaths for emotion and makes it really obvious they're dying. Just makes it so there's no shocks any more.

You knew as soon as everyone was pinned down at the end but not being killed for... reasons... (I guess the wights suddenly decided hugs > killing after all nameless guys were dead?) that the NK was about to be killed to save them all. Arya appearing out of nowhere didn't surprise me at all as a result, rather than being on the edge of my seat and being scared for all these characters, I was just sitting there waiting for that moment I knew was coming.

Didn't Greyworm die? Also yeah it felt weird seeing both Jaime and Brienne surviving that onslaught when everyone else around them died.

I feel like Dany dying would've been a shock and kind of make sense for the show at the same time. However, it would destroy the eventual feud between her and Jon for the throne

BTW, didn't Jon's dragon die too? That's quite a few semi-major characters

Dr. Pezus

Just think of the effort that went into this episode. Holy fudge, will TV see something like this again soon?

Xevross

To be fair most of the north died there lol
I doubt he comes back. I do think this isn't the end of Bran's story
Didn't Greyworm die? Also yeah it felt weird seeing both Jaime and Brienne surviving that onslaught when everyone else around them died.

I feel like Dany dying would've been a shock and kind of make sense for the show at the same time. However, it would destroy the eventual feud between her and Jon for the throne

BTW, didn't Jon's dragon die too? That's quite a few semi-major characters
Nope, Grey Worm is fine, both dragons are fine, Ghost is fine, everyone with a name in the crypts is fine. I'm not gonna feel any tension or suspense watching the last few episodes, the show has completely shaken off the expectation that any major character could die at any moment.

nnodley

I wasn't sure if the dragon Jon was riding was killed or not.  It fell to the ground with jon falling off and then we only see 1 dragon laying with dany at the end so I figured that was confirmation 1 of them died.  

Xevross

I wasn't sure if the dragon Jon was riding was killed or not.  It fell to the ground with jon falling off and then we only see 1 dragon laying with dany at the end so I figured that was confirmation 1 of them died.  
Well the preview for next episode showed both dragons alive and happily flying around as if no damage was done to them at all... so yeah...

Go Up