Steam Deck OLED announced, Steam Deck successor 2-3 years away

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 09, 2023, 06:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Next up, Yang said his team will work on a Steam Deck 2, which will feature a "next-generation" power upgrade but won't be available for at least two or three years. Unlike with many past experiments, Valve appears to be committed to the device for the long term.

"A lot of folks at the company are excited about this product," Yang said. "We are very invested in the Steam Deck."
Bloomberg
Steam Deck 2, 2-3 years away.

nnodley

Nov 09, 2023, 06:50 PM Last Edit: Nov 09, 2023, 06:52 PM by nnodley
i've been so close to buying one.  So might now wait for the OLED

but then i'm like is OLED screen enough to buy that or just buy the 512gb LCD one since its now only $449.  hmmm

Legend

Exclusive startup movie lol

I'll prob buy the cheapest one eventually.

kitler53

2-3 years almost sounds too early.   4 years ought to line up close with ps6.

more than a power upgrade i need steam to take the store/OS more seriously.  it's a pretty lazy port of the PC one and it has sooo much jank in this form factor.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

2-3 years almost sounds too early.   4 years ought to line up close with ps6.

more than a power upgrade i need steam to take the store/OS more seriously.  it's a pretty lazy port of the PC one and it has sooo much jank in this form factor.
Steam big picture mode has been janky forever. Don't expect big improvements anytime soon.

Dr. Pezus

The OLED versions seems to have a few more improvements than just the screen, including the battery life and temperature of the device

the-pi-guy

The Verge
Valve has sold "multiple millions" of its Steam Deck handheld gaming PCs, Valve designers Lawrence Yang and Pierre-Loup Griffais tell The Verge. Given that it just announced a new revision with an OLED screen, the company is probably set to sell a lot more.
Coomer said Valve isn't ready to reveal Steam Deck sales numbers, but it's successful enough for Valve to expand its business as a hardware developer.

Legend

2 million it is, nice.

nnodley

i've made up my mind. I'm buying the 512GB oled version once it releases.   8)