Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I'm definitely at the point you were talking about.

I feel like SSM out Naughty Dogged Naughty Dog.  
Spoiler tags

Which point are you talking about?

the-pi-guy

Spoiler tags

Which point are you talking about?
Well I was actually talking about two different things that I didn't really separate. So just in case i wasn't clear:
Spoiler for for Kitler's point:
<br>I&#39;m assuming he means when Kratos goes home to get his blades. It&#39;s right around the midpoint. &nbsp;And I can&#39;t imagine another big thing will happen so quickly. &nbsp;<br>

Spoiler for for the latter comment:
<br>I just feel like Santa Monica really got what made The Last of Us awesome, in ways that The Last of Us 2 just didn&#39;t get. <br>

darkknightkryta

Finished Kunoichi/Nightshade.  I had to use gameshark for the last 2 levels, but, oh well.  Game was harder than Shinobi, which I managed to get to the last boss. 

the-pi-guy

Finished Kunoichi/Nightshade.  I had to use gameshark for the last 2 levels, but, oh well.  Game was harder than Shinobi, which I managed to get to the last boss.  
I just realized that gameshark is a thing of the past.

Xevross

Well I was actually talking about two different things that I didn't really separate. So just in case i wasn't clear:
<br>I&#39;m assuming he means when Kratos goes home to get his blades. It&#39;s right around the midpoint. &nbsp;And I can&#39;t imagine another big thing will happen so quickly. &nbsp;<br>

<br>I just feel like Santa Monica really got what made The Last of Us awesome, in ways that The Last of Us 2 just didn&#39;t get. <br>

I totally get what you mean by that second point.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>TLOU2 excelled in quality of dialogue and the production values related to voice acting, animation and stuff like that, which really made the story compelling. However GOW felt like a more coherent and continuous story like the first TLOU which really got you engaged with the characters and their relationships and helped make the big moments super impactful, but this is the one area where TLOU2 failed.<br>

kitler53

yep. that is the event I was speaking of.  it made me so very, very happy. 

not sure if it changed you mind on bloodborne being number 1 but at least know you can give GoW a reasonable ranking now.  that event is Soo game changing that now you've seen the full experience. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

I just realized that gameshark is a thing of the past.
Yeah, I bought it to beat Star Ocean 3, which is the worst game I ever played in my life.

the-pi-guy

Finished God of War's story.

The story was so much better than the first 1-3 games.
Gameplay was incredible.

It's still crazy how different this game is from it's predecessors.

With this SMS has established themselves as one of my top 3 developers.

What to play next though? 

Legend

Gameplay was incredible.

MGSV!

kitler53

Gameplay was incredible.

no matter what you pick it will feel like a let down.  I'd pick something in a completely incomparable genre so no comparisons can be drawn.  platformer. turn based RPG. rythum game. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

I'm playing through Doom Eternal and its just... eh. I don't get how people love a game like Doom, for me its just so boring, its incredibly monotonous. The entire game is just the same combat encounter over and over and over, the environments are slightly different but always just the exact same gameplay loop.

The first Doom was the same for the entire second half, I guess the first half was fun because Doom was new to me. Now its not and I'm already bored to death with it after a game and a half.

Legend

I'm playing through Doom Eternal and its just... eh. I don't get how people love a game like Doom, for me its just so boring, its incredibly monotonous. The entire game is just the same combat encounter over and over and over, the environments are slightly different but always just the exact same gameplay loop.

The first Doom was the same for the entire second half, I guess the first half was fun because Doom was new to me. Now its not and I'm already bored to death with it after a game and a half.
Doom and those types of games aren't my cup of tea either. I lose interest super fast once a game stops surprising me.

Dr. Pezus

Doom was a bit samey but I feel like it didn't overstay its welcome too much. It's always introducing new stuff like weapons, upgrades, enemies and ramping up the challenge while you're at it. It's fast paced and challenging while being rewarding

Xevross

Doom was a bit samey but I feel like it didn't overstay its welcome too much. It's always introducing new stuff like weapons, upgrades, enemies and ramping up the challenge while you're at it. It's fast paced and challenging while being rewarding
Yeah you described the first game there and I agree its a very good game. It starts to go stale in the second half because it stops introducing new weapons and enemies but it doesn't outstay its welcome, like you said, so it finished before I could actually get bored. I just felt let down by the second half of the game getting so repetitive.

The problem with Doom Eternal is that its all the same, the weapons are the same ones you had in the last game, a lot of the enemies are the same, the core systems are the same. So what made Doom interesting, there constantly being something new, is just not present here at all. It just feels like the second half of Doom stretched out over an even longer game, which is why I'm so bored of it.

The challenge doesn't even ramp up in Doom Eternal either, its actually getting easier. The few changes they've made to the game are actually for the worse, which doesn't help, but it made the start of the game where you only have a couple of guns and not all the unlocks like the flame belch just stupidly hard, now the game just gets easier and easier as you unlock more stuff, adding another reason for the disinterest I have.

I'm not sure if I'm even gonna carry on with it, this is another case where I'm baffled by the review score, I don't know what people see in this game. Yes its obviously very competently made overall and is fun if you just really enjoy the Doom core gameplay loop but it doesn't offer anything more.

Legend

Yeah you described the first game there and I agree its a very good game. It starts to go stale in the second half because it stops introducing new weapons and enemies but it doesn't outstay its welcome, like you said, so it finished before I could actually get bored. I just felt let down by the second half of the game getting so repetitive.

The problem with Doom Eternal is that its all the same, the weapons are the same ones you had in the last game, a lot of the enemies are the same, the core systems are the same. So what made Doom interesting, there constantly being something new, is just not present here at all. It just feels like the second half of Doom stretched out over an even longer game, which is why I'm so bored of it.

The challenge doesn't even ramp up in Doom Eternal either, its actually getting easier. The few changes they've made to the game are actually for the worse, which doesn't help, but it made the start of the game where you only have a couple of guns and not all the unlocks like the flame belch just stupidly hard, now the game just gets easier and easier as you unlock more stuff, adding another reason for the disinterest I have.

I'm not sure if I'm even gonna carry on with it, this is another case where I'm baffled by the review score, I don't know what people see in this game. Yes its obviously very competently made overall and is fun if you just really enjoy the Doom core gameplay loop but it doesn't offer anything more.
A lot of people were let down by doom eternal. Era has a thread about it every few weeks, or at least it feels like it haha. Most of them loved the first game though.

Go Up