Microsoft Buys Zenimax/ Bethesda for $7.5B

Started by Xevross, Sep 21, 2020, 01:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Also for £8 a month or £96 a year it means I get access to all of xbox first party output on day 1, which is now 23 game studios.

If I want to play Sony games on day 1 this gen it seems like I'll be paying £70 per game. What a ridiculous offset in value.

DerNebel

Absolutely. Also the xbox/ PS total console sales has remained almost exactly flat since the first gen they were competing.:

PS2 155-160M + xbox 24M = ~180M
PS3 ~88M + X360 ~87M = ~175M
PS4 ~120M + XB1 ~55M = ~175M

I don't see any possibility that xbox doesn't grow this gen, I'm predicting 75M. I think due to series S total sales will grow for the first time due to more people owning both consoles, but some of that will still be a steal from playstation. Unless there's something unforseen which dramatically grows the console market this gen, PS4's 120M is the ceiling for PS5 I think. And I also see no scenario where PS5 is behind the PS4 launch aligned within at least the first two years.

About all that buying, that would be nuts. Microsoft have a lot of money but they don't want to go all in on xbox without evidence that its going to work out. Bethesda is huge already, that's probably it for a long time.
Well yeah I guess it is similar, Sony are making some mistakes and are being somewhat complacent but this is also a huge move from Microsoft. Its a combination of both. Microsoft want xbox with game pass to become the netflix of gaming but even more dominant with no real rival services. Looks like right now that its going to happen. Game Pass will be monstrous in a few years time and will start making a lot of money.
I don't see Sony as complacent at all. They just don't have the same billions of loose change lying around as MS.

the-pi-guy

Sep 21, 2020, 03:32 PM Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 03:39 PM by the-pi-guy

I don't see Sony as complacent at all. They just don't have the same billions of loose change lying around as MS.
They might not have spare change lying around.
But they can almost certainly afford a company or two on this scale.  

I hate this whole thing.  
Next up Sony should buy Take Two.  

DerNebel

I hate this whole thing.  
One or two, maybe. Meanwhile Microsoft could easily buy 10 or 20, if they really wanted to.

This whole thing sucks donkey sucker and I'd like to tell all those assholes who decided market consolidation of this kind was something worth circlejerking and celebrating to go fudge themselves.

kitler53

I hate this whole thing.  
i do not like that idea but to survive i think sony might have to.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Legend

How much profit has xbox one made this gen? $7.5 billion is huge.

Even if Zenimax was going to be like Sony online and do their own thing, this isn't good. We need lots of independent pubs to have a healthy industry.

I hope Bethesda stays awesome and I hope Sony doesn't respond by buying their own pub.

the-pi-guy

Sep 21, 2020, 04:35 PM Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 04:38 PM by the-pi-guy
This really sucks.

If Starfield and TES VI are not still coming to PS5, I'm going to be pissed.  At the very least from MS and Bethesda it sounds like that probably won't change.

But ugh.  Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

This is probably the worst gaming news I've ever heard. I still can't believe it.  It's one of those absurd rumor things that you just don't believe because it's too absurd.  

Also irritating that people are now comparing Sony buying IG to this.  It's not even in the same universe.

How much profit has xbox one made this gen? $7.5 billion is huge.

Even if Zenimax was going to be like Sony online and do their own thing, this isn't good. We need lots of independent pubs to have a healthy industry.

I hope Bethesda stays awesome and I hope Sony doesn't respond by buying their own pub.
Sony should respond with "guess who is opening up 10 more studios?"

Cute Pikachu

Seems like Nintendo is the only one who doesn't acquire stuff these days lol. But this is a humongous acquisition. I don't like it. I would like a Sony Take Two acquisition either. This is gross imo
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Dr. Pezus

What. The. Eff.

Also, that's way too cheap for a huge dev like Bethesda.

I guess MS saw the Deathloop exclusivity deal and decided they'd do one better lol

the-pi-guy

How will Sony respond?  (Assuming they will).

I think it would make sense to buy some smaller studios. And open up a few more.

kitler53

How will Sony respond?  (Assuming they will).

I think it would make sense to buy some smaller studios. And open up a few more.
sony has already said they have their eyes open for new acquisitions.   they might acquire someone but:
1. it's not entirely a reaction to this news
2. the deal won't be 1/10th at big

Legend

sony has already said they have their eyes open for new acquisitions.   they might acquire someone but:
1. it's not entirely a reaction to this news
2. the deal won't be 1/10th at big
Maybe sony will do a deal 1/10000th as big.

(Hit me up Sony)

kitler53

Maybe sony will do a deal 1/10000th as big.

(Hit me up Sony)
would break the internet..

Go Up