F2P Titanfall battle royale out tomorrow

Started by Legend, Feb 03, 2019, 04:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Feb 04, 2019, 09:05 PM Last Edit: Feb 04, 2019, 09:12 PM by Xevross
Eh, gameplay is barely like Titanfall at all. Looks like any other BR to me. Shame.

(Eurogamer) Titanfall 3 is NOT in development. Apex Legends is the main focus. | ResetEra

Update

_

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-surprise-release-and-why-there-are-no-titans

McCoy's answer also confirms what many already suspected: Titanfall 3 isn't in development, and Apex Legends is its current Titanfall focus. (Respawn is also working on Jedi: Fallen Order, an under-wraps Star Wars game it briefly announced last year.)

Back in fall 2017, a Respawn source told Kotaku's Jason Schreier "Titanfall 3 was well into development" and would release by the end of 2018. The reason for the hurry was that the modified version of Valve's Source engine (used by the previous Titanfall games and reportedly also Apex Legends) - "was starting to feel dated", and "Titanfall 3 might not feel or look as good if it came out too much later" - which, clearly, it did not.

This fits with what McCoy explained to me: that progress towards Apex Legends began after Titanfall 2, when the developer experimented with battle royale, "decided this wasn't going to be a mode", and chose to make Apex Legends "a game on its own". It certainly feels like Apex Legends could have been a battle royale mode for Titanfall 3.  Click to expand...  Article also talks about why Titans are not in the game, why Apex is set in the Titanfall universe, why the game was not marketed ahead of launch and a lot more. You should definitely try to read it through all your tears.  
And they're making this instead of Titanfall 3. Oof, this bad news for a lot of people. Titanfall is basically dead, killed by an attempt at chasing the BR craze.

[/size]

Jesus, was this EA's decision?

Legend

That's not going to help with reception. Nothing about this game makes me expect it'll be a financial success so hopefully it doesn't kill Titanfall. Or maybe Titanfall 3 was having issues and was killed for its own reason. In that case this is cooler than having no Titanfall related thing at all.

Xevross

That's not going to help with reception. Nothing about this game makes me expect it'll be a financial success so hopefully it doesn't kill Titanfall. Or maybe Titanfall 3 was having issues and was killed for its own reason. In that case this is cooler than having no Titanfall related thing at all.
Its a BR game which the general BR crowd seems to be loving so far, so I think it will be successful. TF2 wasn't very successful, I think a lot due to the terrible release date. I expect this will make more money, and they'll stick to running this as a live service instead of TF3. Let's not forget that Respawn are also making a new Star Wars game, I don't think they can do all three.

the-pi-guy

Vince Zampella | "We are also working on more Titanfall for later in the year (yes, I said the T word)." | ResetEra

*Not a VR title

Tons of things planned for @PlayApex in the future. We are also committed to listening to player feedback.

We are also working on more Titanfall for later in the year (yes, I said the T word). We love being able to experiment in this crazy universe!  Click to expand...  Come on TF1 rerelease/update with crossplay on all platforms.

Bring back the king!  
[/size]

ethomaz

Feb 05, 2019, 07:39 PM Last Edit: Feb 05, 2019, 07:41 PM by ethomaz
I thought it was a Titanfall gameplay in battle royale format.

Actually is a Titanfall with Overwatch gameplay in battle royale format.

Feels weird.

Its a BR game which the general BR crowd seems to be loving so far, so I think it will be successful. TF2 wasn't very successful, I think a lot due to the terrible release date. I expect this will make more money, and they'll stick to running this as a live service instead of TF3. Let's not forget that Respawn are also making a new Star Wars game, I don't think they can do all three.
The problem is that they are using Overwatch gameplay with powers and all instead what they had with Titanfall.
It is basically not made for Titanfall players.

You can't even use transversal jumps and run over walls.

Legend

It'd odd they excluded titans. It could have worked out perfectly if Titans needed to be called in from specific points on the map and couldn't be called until enough people had died.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

I thought it was a Titanfall gameplay in battle royale format.

Actually is a Titanfall with Overwatch gameplay in battle royale format.

Feels weird.

The problem is that they are using Overwatch gameplay with powers and all instead what they had with Titanfall.
It is basically not made for Titanfall players.

You can't even use transversal jumps and run over walls.
Eh, looks like its still Titanfall mechanically. The gunplay and movement is all from Titanfall, its just lacking wall running and double jumps. And its hardly "overwatch gameplay" for having different heroes/ legends that have a few abilities. Literally hundreds of games have done that.

You can run up walls a little bit, you can slide quite far as well. Its still got a lot of the fast traversal from Titanfall, its just missing those two things. They removed the double jumps and wall running after testing, saying it didn't fit well and the game was better without them, fair enough.

And the other big thing from Titanfall they're missing is obviously the Titans. I'm not sure on this one, I feel like they could have fit them in somewhere. Maybe as cargo drop style things where players fight over using them. They'd be powerful but with a fairly exploitable weakness. idk though, it looks fun and fluid but I think it needs a little bit more to be unique, and Titans may be that. I imagine they've thought a lot about where Titans might fit in, I hope they do it eventually.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Feb 05, 2019, 10:34 PM Last Edit: Feb 05, 2019, 10:35 PM by Xevross
A new premium TItanfall game is coming late this year, a "twist" for the franchise | ResetEra

Hmm, maybe it'll tie into Apex Legends in some way to use that player base, but it'll be something more unique.

This is definitely promising, they're experimenting with TF as a franchise, trying to mix it up. I hope it works out. If their SW game is successful then Respawn is gonna be huge.

the-pi-guy

Ludicrous Speed

I have no faith in Titanfall 3 MP after what they did with 2. This on the other hand is a really good BR game, easily the best one I have played so far.

Go Up