Celeste or Hollow Knight? You choose for me.

Started by kitler53, Jan 04, 2021, 10:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

What will kitler53 play next?

Celeste
Hollow Knight

kitler53

Which will be my next game?   voting ends in 4 hours when i start gaming for the night.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I haven't played either, so Rain World (which I have also not played).

Xevross

They're quite different. Hollow Knight is much longer, focused on combat and metroidvania stuff. Celeste is just a fast paced platformer all about platforming.

Both very hard, but Celeste has checkpoints at the start of every screen, and each screen is like 5-10 seconds to get through if you get it right, I guess its like Super Meat Boy. Its a weird kind of difficulty. Hollow Knight is very much a Dark Souls 2D.

kitler53

They're quite different. Hollow Knight is much longer, focused on combat and metroidvania stuff. Celeste is just a fast paced platformer all about platforming.

Both very hard, but Celeste has checkpoints at the start of every screen, and each screen is like 5-10 seconds to get through if you get it right, I guess its like Super Meat Boy. Its a weird kind of difficulty. Hollow Knight is very much a Dark Souls 2D.
I'm going in blind into either game so this is the most description I have.  both sound awesome but I'm just about to start dark souls 3 on Thursday with my coop date night friend.    ...so maybe I hope celeste wins.  not sure if 2 souls llike games as once is good for my sanity. 

kitler53

i probably shouldn't talk yet because i've only downed the first boss but i'm not seeing the "dark souls 2D" part.  it is very, very metroidvania to me.  difficulty isn't that high imo.  i'm finding the "hit things to get energy to restore health" mechanic to be very forgiving.  now that i have a distance spell i guess i could see myself wasting all of my energy like that but still,.. plenty of health to go around so far.  

i found myself annoyed at the whole mapping system so i said fudge it and a grinded out all of the upgrades from the shop so that i could have a standard metroidvania map.   so that didn't exactly make my first nights play fantastic but still it was pretty good.

Xevross

i probably shouldn't talk yet because i've only downed the first boss but i'm not seeing the "dark souls 2D" part.  it is very, very metroidvania to me.  difficulty isn't that high imo.  i'm finding the "hit things to get energy to restore health" mechanic to be very forgiving.  now that i have a distance spell i guess i could see myself wasting all of my energy like that but still,.. plenty of health to go around so far.  

i found myself annoyed at the whole mapping system so i said fudge it and a grinded out all of the upgrades from the shop so that i could have a standard metroidvania map.   so that didn't exactly make my first nights play fantastic but still it was pretty good.
It's not as hard as dark souls, I meant more in its structure. It's about finding your way unlocking new routes/ shortcuts to the next main boss. And if you die you have to fight your way back to your body to recover your soul and Geo.

There's some bosses that are very hard and will take you quite a few attempts like in Dark Souls, but Hollow Knight eases you in a lot more.

I rated both of these games very highly, I think they're both fantastic. But I do think more fondly of hollow Knight looking back.