What are some good game menus?/What makes a good game menu?

Started by Legend, Sep 24, 2014, 08:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Title says it all.

(yes I'm working on VizionEck's menu hahaha)

kitler53

Sep 24, 2014, 08:51 PM Last Edit: Sep 24, 2014, 08:56 PM by kitler53
all comes down to communication.   there is no instruction manual for software these days so you need to be able to clearly communicate a message without any training.

persona pet peeves,.. selection screens that have 2 options and a choice highlight mechanism that makes it impossible to know which item is the selected item.

edit: found a sort of example.   no clue what this game is but the menu selection is very unclear.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

ethomaz

I love Destiny menus because you can access them even in load times... so I can work in my gears while wait to get into the match.

They are simples and easy to use too.

Lacks options like friend tab (needs to add Clans, etc) or Hot Keys to use items (I want to use items faster... even a hot key to change Subclass will be great) but the Design and UI are really top notch for me.

kitler53

pet peeve 2:  windows 8. 

lolol,. but i'm not kidding.   if you control your menus with the d-pad style input i can only move up/down left/right so having icons that don't fit a perfect grid are very annoying to use.  infamous comes to mind as the most recent example of a game i was pissed off at.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Thanks for the answers.

I think I have something cool.