TV Show Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 07, 2014, 03:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

The Pokemon TV show is very dumb...  

Spoiler for new show:
<br>A magikarp made a jump faster than escape velocity and made it through the atmosphere unable to come down. &nbsp;<br><br>Pokedex: slowpoke lose their tail, but they don&#39;t mind. <br>Character: they lose their tail?! But I guess they don&#39;t mind. <br>

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><br>*Police does no investigative work, gets shown a picture*<br><br>&quot;We now know the whole story. Those guys tricked me!&quot;<br>

kitler53

The Pokemon TV show is very dumb...  

Spoiler for new show:
<br>A magikarp made a jump faster than escape velocity and made it through the atmosphere unable to come down. &nbsp;<br><br>Pokedex: slowpoke lose their tail, but they don&#39;t mind. <br>Character: they lose their tail?! But I guess they don&#39;t mind. <br>

Spoiler for Hidden:

*Police does no investigative work, gets shown a picture*

"We now know the whole story. Those guys tricked me!"

the intended audience is 6-12 year olds.  there are a whole slew of shows just like it my son likes: sonic, stretch armstrong, some various marvel shows targeting kids.  it's easy to follow for a kid that has limited ability to grasp complexities (everything is good or evil) and has limited patience to watch non-action scenes.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Been years since I watched pokemon. Do they still have any of the og characters?

the-pi-guy

Been years since I watched pokemon. Do they still have any of the og characters?
Yeah ash is still there.

the intended audience is 6-12 year olds.  there are a whole slew of shows just like it my son likes: sonic, stretch armstrong, some various marvel shows targeting kids.  it's easy to follow for a kid that has limited ability to grasp complexities (everything is good or evil) and has limited patience to watch non-action scenes.
There are plenty of shows intended for kids that still manage to be smart enough to not ostracize adults.

kitler53

Yeah ash is still there.

There are plenty of shows intended for kids that still manage to be smart enough to not ostracize adults.
gonna have to say no.  kids shows suck.  if you think I'm wrong start listing.  I would have sworn the shows I loved as a kid were better but then i started watching them again as an adult to share with my kid.  they're terrible too.

the-pi-guy

gonna have to say no.  kids shows suck.  if you think I'm wrong start listing.  I would have sworn the shows I loved as a kid were better but then i started watching them again as an adult to share with my kid.  they're terrible too.
Gravity Falls
Gumball

Old spongebob wasnt the worst.  

My son watches Octonauts and that isn't as obnoxiously dumb.  

Legend

gonna have to say no.  kids shows suck.  if you think I'm wrong start listing.  I would have sworn the shows I loved as a kid were better but then i started watching them again as an adult to share with my kid.  they're terrible too.

There are exceptions but yeah...

Although I think the modern art style is pretty bad.

Teen Titans Go! vs. Teen Titans - Official Trailer - YouTube

(Teen titans is not the worst offender, but is a 1 to 1 example)

kitler53

Gravity Falls
Gumball

Old spongebob wasnt the worst.  

My son watches Octonauts and that isn't as obnoxiously dumb.  
those are also targeting an older audience, teens.  I don't know gumball I guess but gravity falls is not really young kid appropriate. 

octonauts is pretty bad too but that is targeting 3-6.  my almost seven year old has outgrown it at least.  

the-pi-guy

those are also targeting an older audience, teens.  I don't know gumball I guess but gravity falls is not really young kid appropriate.
I don't think target audience matters. Spongebob at one point was pretty successful with groups from 3 to 25. Kids thought it was an appropriate show.

I don't think shows should get a pass just because they are targeted for kids.

Like I've said before kids shows should respect the adult too. Most don't and that shouldn't be acceptable.
octonauts is pretty bad too but that is targeting 3-6.  my almost seven year old has outgrown it at least.  
Mostly disagree.  It's nowhere near as bad as something like Peppa pig.  

kitler53

I don't think target audience matters. Spongebob at one point was pretty successful with groups from 3 to 25. Kids thought it was an appropriate show.

I don't think shows should get a pass just because they are targeted for kids.

Like I've said before kids shows should respect the adult too. Most don't and that shouldn't be acceptable. Mostly disagree.  It's nowhere near as bad as something like Peppa pig.  
top: I think "respecting adults" is great but if a show sets out to be a kids show I just don't think it's a priority.  kid shows are generally speaking low budget. 

at the moment,. the badly scripted super hero show is my son's favorite thing ever. he watches Soo many and he greatly prefers it to "better" shows.  

bottom: all in all I thought peppa pig was one of the better kids shows my kids loved.  maybe it is because the loved it for less long. paw patrol was pretty bad. the wiggles was worse.  dora the explorer was terrible. 

if you want a kids show that respects adults the best I've seen is bluey.   it's australian and on disney+.  my kid loves it and honestly,.. I kind of like it too. 

darkknightkryta

There's a difference between family friendly and childish.  Thundercats is family friendly.  Thundercats Roar is childish.  Very few shows have been able to be family friendly recently.  I blame Adventure Time (Which was oddly family friendly).

Dr. Pezus

Holy shame the DOTA netflix show is actually great. Hope some of y'all are watching.

the-pi-guy

Buying the first couple of seasons of The Simpsons and Rick and Morty for my Plex server.

I've watched random episodes of The Simpsons, but I've never really watched it sequentially.  Everyone seems to talk about the first either 9 or 13 seasons as being the best of any TV show, and I missed out on that.

Dr. Pezus

Buying the first couple of seasons of The Simpsons and Rick and Morty for my Plex server.

I've watched random episodes of The Simpsons, but I've never really watched it sequentially.  Everyone seems to talk about the first either 9 or 13 seasons as being the best of any TV show, and I missed out on that.
Simpsons is all on Disney Plus!

the-pi-guy

Simpsons is all on Disney Plus!
I prefer ownership.

Go Up