Deep Learning Super Sampling is possibly the biggest game changer in decades

Started by Legend, Feb 06, 2020, 05:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

On very close inspection you can tell the native 4K is better but the difference is so small its crazy. As DF keep saying, it seems native 4K is a waste now. If PS5 really is focusing on a "fake 4K" approach like this then that's a big win.

kitler53

i agree with legend,.. the 4k is quite noticably different once i full screened it.   don't get me wrong DLSS did a dang impressive job.   I think DLSS did really, really well with the objects in the foreground.   but everything further back is in various states of pretty bad.   The stairs on the left look like an "impressionist" painting honestly.   it's soo undefined.

i still think DLSS has a future but an upscale from 1080p seems far more reasonable.  that resolution is already pretty standard these days and shouldn't be hard to hit with any modern hardware.  

when the GPU isn't rendering pixals what else can it do?   like if developers seriously upscaled 720 renders to 4k with DLSS where would all that power be put to use?    or is this just to get 120 fps...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

i agree with legend,.. the 4k is quite noticably different once i full screened it.   don't get me wrong DLSS did a dang impressive job.   I think DLSS did really, really well with the objects in the foreground.   but everything further back is in various states of pretty bad.   The stairs on the left look like an "impressionist" painting honestly.   it's soo undefined.

i still think DLSS has a future but an upscale from 1080p seems far more reasonable.  that resolution is already pretty standard these days and shouldn't be hard to hit with any modern hardware.  

when the GPU isn't rendering pixals what else can it do?   like if developers seriously upscaled 720 renders to 4k with DLSS where would all that power be put to use?    or is this just to get 120 fps...
I wasn't saying consoles would render at 720p.  

This is just to demonstrate how much quality can be picked up despite a 9x pixel count.

I think 1080p/1440p -> 4K would be most likely. At that point it's a lot closer to native quality.

Ray tracing would be a big thing.  

Legend

i agree with legend,.. the 4k is quite noticably different once i full screened it.   don't get me wrong DLSS did a dang impressive job.   I think DLSS did really, really well with the objects in the foreground.   but everything further back is in various states of pretty bad.   The stairs on the left look like an "impressionist" painting honestly.   it's soo undefined.

i still think DLSS has a future but an upscale from 1080p seems far more reasonable.  that resolution is already pretty standard these days and shouldn't be hard to hit with any modern hardware.  

when the GPU isn't rendering pixals what else can it do?   like if developers seriously upscaled 720 renders to 4k with DLSS where would all that power be put to use?    or is this just to get 120 fps...
GPU power could be used to render more frames per second, increase the quality of rendered frames (more expensive shaders, raytracing...), or do more compute work (fluid simulation, ai...).

the-pi-guy

Would be nice if the OP did a better job making a comparison.

-pixel by pixel
-more resolutions so that we can see how 1080p/1440p improve the recreation.

Go Up