The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Viewing single post

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

kitler53

The camera being included was always very important to my idea of what a VR headset should have, either on the headset or separately.   
A lot of people complain about being excluded from the world, which is important to consider. 

If someone has dogs and babies crawling around, it's a bit more comforting for the headset to be able to let the player know. 
yeah but having the external world mapped into the virtual world is, imo, a huge immersion killer.   clearly i haven't been in a vive myself but the videos they have shown looked really annoying to me.

- the guardian system interupts your VR world which by definition break immersion.
+ the external world is only wireframed in so small details are sure to be lost
+ it is still wired,.. i'm not going to be able to have anyone manage that cord while i play to ensure i don't trip or strangle myself
+ i still don't have a furniture less room of any decent size  i'm willing to dedicate to VR
+ is it really going to be that much better for games?  i mean,.. will all vive games have to take place in an immersive world that is only 15x15 feet or less?  that's a bit less restrictive that having to sit down but still,.. you're playing a sword game have having a great time swinging your sword around battling some demon you go in for the final blow but oh wait,.. top.  back off you're about to hit a wall now... 

i get the appeal of being able to walk around but it just really isn't practical in the current scenario.  it will never be as fun as you think it will be after you finish the first couple of tech demos.  no "real" game is going to be able to use that "chaperon" aspect and still design a fun gameplay experience that lasts more than a few minutes.

not sure what phrase will get coined but vive's chaperon will be limited to a a small walled-garden that will feel is lifeless and limited as a rail-shooters do today.  you want the true open-world sandbox and all you'll get is a sandbox.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens