Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Apr 23, 2019, 05:54 PM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 05:59 PM by Xevross
And so it begins. Endgame grosses $26.2m from midnights in China. Almost 3x previous all time record held by Fast 8.

Dr. Pezus

And so it begins. Endgame grosses $26.2m from midnights in China. Almost 3x previous all time record held by Fast 8.
That's crazy

Xevross

Apr 23, 2019, 07:21 PM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 07:40 PM by Xevross
Midnight showings have finished and it sounds like the Chinese loved it. 9.1 Maoyan rating (the main metric for audience reception in China). IW started at 8.6 and went up to 9.0 in the end.

Edit: this doesn't mean Endgame will go up, IW was review bombed from the start due to the trade war and recovered well. Hard to tell if Endgame will go up or down. Also funny that maoyan score is only posted when there's a certain number of reviews, IW took until 1pm China time to be posted but this went up straight after midnights, shows how many people watched it.

Double edit: Douban rating started at 9.3/10. That's insane, Douban is normally very harsh for example IW is only 8.1/10. I think Douban is more limited and people who rate on there are more like proper critics with some sort of verification process.

In short: China really loved Endgame.

Xevross

Apr 23, 2019, 10:47 PM Last Edit: Apr 24, 2019, 12:54 AM by Xevross
98% RT after 85 reviews for Endgame.

Amazing!

Maoyan up to 9.2, film is about to go bonkers in China. $1B WW opening here we come.

Xevross

Apr 24, 2019, 07:54 AM Last Edit: Apr 24, 2019, 08:33 AM by Xevross
Maoyan up to 9.3 which is literally god tier, film is going mad on opening day so far. Midnights adjusted up to $27.7m as well (more than triple previous all time record). Openind day heading for about $110M including midnights, absolutely ridiculous. China is going to gross a shame load for Endgame with a 9.3 score, Avatar WW suddenly got a bit more likely. As if we didn't know it already, we're about to witness a truly historic BO run.

Here's the final china presales graph, pretty.

Also small market but Endgame had doubled the previous best all time opening day in Indonesia, by mid-morning.

Xevross

Major Asian markets Endgame launched in today:

South Korea
China
Australia
New Zealand
Indonesia

New record opening day in every single one of them. Previous best in SK and China were local films, aus and NZ were TFA and Indonesia was IW.

Xevross

Apr 25, 2019, 02:44 AM Last Edit: Apr 25, 2019, 03:51 AM by Xevross
Well I enjoyed it, didn't love it. First 2 hours were quite slow, felt like the first hour should have been its own film or on the end of Infinity War instead. More I think the closer I get to loving it, gonna watch it tomorrow.

First Europe numbers: Italy Opening Day 5.168m euros, Infinity War was ~2.9m. Infinity War OD was a national holiday, Endgame was not. Insane, Europe is exploding for Endgame as much as Asia it seems.

Xevross

Well I enjoyed it, didn't love it. First 2 hours were quite slow, felt like the first hour should have been its own film or on the end of Infinity War instead. More I think the closer I get to loving it, gonna watch it tomorrow.
Fell in love second time round. Film has pacing issues and not enough action (barely any in first two hours) but apart from that its the perfect culmination of the MCU.

Legend

Fell in love second time round. Film has pacing issues and not enough action (barely any in first two hours) but apart from that its the perfect culmination of the MCU.
Haha you watched it two days in a row?

Interesting that it has so many non action scenes. Usually I feel like two parters tend to have the first film the slower one (Deathly hallows for example).

Xevross

Haha you watched it two days in a row?

Interesting that it has so many non action scenes. Usually I feel like two parters tend to have the first film the slower one (Deathly hallows for example).
Yeah, did the same with Infinity War as well.

It is interesting, although the way its done means Endgame was always going to be the slower of the two parts. The snap at the end of IW means they need to spend a while showing the reactions of all the characters and the world before it moves on with things, and that takes time. About an hour, in fact.

Xevross

$169m official estimate for Endgame opening day wednesday, in 25 markets. Take away China and its $62m, compared to $39m like-for-like in IW (up 58%). If +58% for OS-C holds all weekend we're looking at an opening of $1.2b (with Dom and China about $300m each), which is genuinely unfathomable, however that percentage is very likely to drop. Reminder: current record WW opening is $640m.

Dr. Pezus

$169m official estimate for Endgame opening day wednesday, in 25 markets. Take away China and its $62m, compared to $39m like-for-like in IW (up 58%). If +58% for OS-C holds all weekend we're looking at an opening of $1.2b (with Dom and China about $300m each), which is genuinely unfathomable, however that percentage is very likely to drop. Reminder: current record WW opening is $640m.
Can it break the 1b opening barrier??

Xevross

Apr 25, 2019, 09:54 PM Last Edit: Apr 25, 2019, 09:56 PM by Xevross
$1b is almost locked at this point, as mad as it sounds. China is heading for ~$315m, add Domestic and it will be $600m (on the low end of estimates). Then even just matching IW elsewhere would make it to $982m and like I said its currently running +58% on the markets that made the $382m in OS-C.

$1.1b looks like the target right now. Still could land anywhere $950-1300m depending on how things go, but even the low end is a ridiculous achievement.

the-pi-guy

Apr 25, 2019, 09:56 PM Last Edit: Apr 25, 2019, 09:58 PM by the-pi-guy
It'll probably be close. 

--------------------
The Onion:

LOS ANGELES--Shedding light on a possible key plot point of the upcoming film Avengers: Endgame, an emerging theory among fans of the Marvel franchise suggests the key to beating Thanos could be nothing, nothing at all, because he isn't real and none of this exists, sources reported Tuesday. "They left plenty of Easter eggs hinting at it in the first three Avengers movies, so it's pretty obvious--the way to counter Thanos' power now that he has all the infinity stones must be to simply realize he's CGI and that it's just a movie," Avengers fan Raoul Bengston wrote in an online forum, detailing the potential implications of the villain being completely imaginary, including the possibility that the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe could itself be a wholly fabricated world devised decades ago by comic book writers. "Imagine what it would mean if, instead of T'Challa and Peter Parker disintegrating at the end of Infinity War, they turned out to be fictional characters portrayed by professional actors Chadwick Boseman and Tom Holland, who ultimately survive because the infinity stones aren't real? Could be quite a game-changer." At press time, the majority of fans on the forum had begun to tear into the new theory, deeming it "far-fetched" and "unrealistic."
New 'Avengers' Fan Theory Suggests Key To Beating Thanos Could Be Nothing Because He Not Real And None Of This Exists

Xevross

It'll probably be close. 

--------------------
The Onion:

New 'Avengers' Fan Theory Suggests Key To Beating Thanos Could Be Nothing Because He Not Real And None Of This Exists
By gawd, they solved it!

Also I don't think it'll be close, I'm currently on the $1.1b opening train although that's still very tentative :D

OS-C is short for overseas minus china by the way, so everywhere outside of domestic and china markets.

Go Up