Donald Trump has been impeached

Started by the-pi-guy, Dec 19, 2019, 02:25 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

President Donald Trump was impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives Wednesday night, becoming only the third American chief executive to be formally charged under the Constitution's ultimate remedy for high crimes and misdemeanors.

The historic vote split along party lines, much the way it has divided the nation, over the charges that the 45th president abused the power of his office by enlisting a foreign government to investigate a political rival ahead of the 2020 election. The House then approved a second charge, that he obstructed Congress in its investigation.
President Donald Trump impeached by US House on 2 charges

BananaKing

So now that he has been impeached. From what I understand there would be a trail and maybe a vote to remove him as president? Is that going go happen (the process) or no?

the-pi-guy

So now that he has been impeached. From what I understand there would be a trail and maybe a vote to remove him as president? Is that going go happen (the process) or no?
Yeah, the process should be what happens.  It just isn't likely to remove him. Because the Senate which votes is heavily Republican.  It's not because they like him but rather they feel they need to, to advance their goals.  

darkknightkryta

Yeah, the process should be what happens.  It just isn't likely to remove him. Because the Senate which votes is heavily Republican.  It's not because they like him but rather they feel they need to, to advance their goals.  
Wouldn't it be better for them to get rid of him and put another guy in charge?  Someone less ... I guess they're all evil lunatics.

the-pi-guy

Wouldn't it be better for them to get rid of him and put another guy in charge?  Someone less ... I guess they're all evil lunatics.
No.  Because Trump's supporters love him.  
Throwing him under the bus would just mean they'd lose their own spot in the government.