Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

ツイストパズルシミュレータが日本に行きますか。

Legend

ツイストパズルシミュレータが日本に行きますか。
Haha!

All I could make out was "Japan" and that it was a question, but progress!

はい

the-pi-guy

Haha!

All I could make out was "Japan" and that it was a question, but progress!

はい
どうですか。

Legend

どうですか。
Good. I need to learn a lot more vocab, but I can read duolingo examples pretty well. I'm learning time right now lol.

the-pi-guy

Good. I need to learn a lot more vocab, but I can read duolingo examples pretty well. I'm learning time right now lol.
How's it going?

Legend

Legend

I've resumed learning japanese.

Ohaio

the-pi-guy

I've resumed learning japanese.

Ohaio
*ohayoo

Konbanha

the-pi-guy

Aug 03, 2019, 03:01 PM Last Edit: Aug 03, 2019, 03:05 PM by the-pi-guy
So I'm not actively working on my Japanese rpg, but I'm still trying to think about it. 

I still really love the idea, but there are a lot of challenges.  Like there's a lot of words that are really hard to try to incorporate. To the point where I sometimes feel like a chatbot would almost be easier and more helpful.

Only slightly discouraged, but still working on it in the back of my head. 

------

Also trying to get back into learning Japanese.  I just have to force myself to sit down and get back into it.  It's hard though.

the-pi-guy

So something that probably won't come up with Duolingo, since you probably aren't learning how to write is that Japanese, Chinese have stroke orders.  

So for every character, there's a single order that they should be written.  
Stroke Order - Bottom Stroke Last

Some would say English has this too, but it's not as demanding. Someone writing the letter a in a funny way, will still be understood.
This stroke order serves a few purposes.  

1.)  Character recognition.   Sometimes with especially stylized writings, you'll have a character that will end up looking like another.  But determining which stroke comes before which one can help with figuring out which character was written.

2.)  Character look up.  There are a couple of ways that characters can be organized in a dictionary, and one of them is by using the number of strokes.  
When you get more competent with writing Japanese/Chinese, you can usually tell how many strokes are used in a character.  

So you can look up what characters use 7 strokes, and hopefully you'll find whatever character you are trying to identify.  

3.)  Nice handwriting.  Having a system and having a flow to how you write can help make your characters legible.

Fun fact, Japanese and Chinese have slightly different rules for character writing, so sometimes characters will be written differently in one language compared to the other.  

the-pi-guy

私は日本語でスカイリムを遊んでいます。もっと分かります。でも、まだとても難し。

Legend

私は日本語でスカイリムを遊んでいます。もっと分かります。でも、まだとても難し。
Are you playing Skyrim in Japanese?

the-pi-guy

Are you playing Skyrim in Japanese?
Yep!

the-pi-guy

It feels kind of weird sometimes how difficult it is to learn a language.  

Like language textbooks are like half the size of other texts  and they're mostly for giving people practice.  

And yet they take twice as long to learn.

It makes sense but it's weird to think about sometimes

the-pi-guy

A lot of the time, I think about how much I don't know.  Like I felt like I would never go to Japan just because there's so much I wouldn't know how to say.  

Now that I've met someone I can talk to, it feels different.  I'm thinking about all the stuff I can say and it feels like a lot now.

Go Up