Let's pretend I wanted to develop a game...

Started by kitler53, Nov 19, 2020, 04:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

How would one go about trying to do that?

to be clear the odds of my releasing a game on any platform is about 0.0000001%.   however, i kind of just want to play around with the tools and get an appreciation of the effort required.   i don't want to pay money to pretend to be a game developer so i'm looking for something free.  Unity?  if I had Unity downloaded is that enough or do I need other tools and are those other tools free?

~ kitler53 studios

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

How would one go about trying to do that?

to be clear the odds of my releasing a game on any platform is about 0.0000001%.   however, i kind of just want to play around with the tools and get an appreciation of the effort required.   i don't want to pay money to pretend to be a game developer so i'm looking for something free.  Unity?  if I had Unity downloaded is that enough or do I need other tools and are those other tools free?

~ kitler53 studios
Do you want to learn how to program a game?  Or do you want to learn how to "make" a game?  Those are two different tools.  The later, Unity is great.  The former?  No real way, but I'd suggest monogame.

the-pi-guy

There's lots of ways to go about it.  

Here's one:

Game engine: Unity is popular. Unreal Engine is another big one.
3D modeller: blender is becoming pretty big.
Some kind of editor for textures: photoshop/gmp
Some kind of audio generator

kitler53

Nov 19, 2020, 06:05 PM Last Edit: Nov 19, 2020, 06:07 PM by kitler53
Do you want to learn how to program a game?  Or do you want to learn how to "make" a game?  Those are two different tools.  The later, Unity is great.  The former?  No real way, but I'd suggest monogame.
both?

i "know" how to program but i wouldn't say i'm great at it.  I learned on C and Basic and these days I read (but don't write) C#.   Like i said, i kind of just want to get an appreciation for it so making a very simple game would be fun.   

a long, long time ago i invented a card game.  i had thoughts that might be a good place to start as it is probably a lot less ambitious.

i just don't know what i don't know so i really have no idea how to start "eating this whale".

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

both?

i "know" how to program but i wouldn't say i'm great at it.  I learned on C and Basic and these days I read (but don't write) C#.   Like i said, i kind of just want to get an appreciation for it so making a very simple game would be fun.  

a long, long time ago i invented a card game.  i had thoughts that might be a good place to start as it is probably a lot less ambitious.

i just don't know what i don't know so i really have no idea how to start "eating this whale".
Card game?  I say use Java.  Simple enough to get U.I. elements done.

Legend

Just download unreal engine and mess around. They make it really really easy to make a simple but good looking game.