The specs are out, predict launch prices!

Started by Legend, Mar 18, 2020, 05:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Xbox Series X: $699

PS5: $499

My thinking is that since Microsoft supposedly also has lockheart, they don't need XSX to be priced competitively with PS5. Might as well make a solid profit off it.

PS5 could be sold cheaper but I don't think Sony wants to lose too much money per system sold.

darkknightkryta

Ps5 will probably be in the middle.  I would imagine 399 usd for ps5.  499 for Xbox X and 299 for the 1080p Xbox

the-pi-guy

Xbox Series S: $299
PS5: $399
Xbox Series X: $499

I kind of thought having two consoles would be smart, but right now I'm really wondering if that's the case.  

If the consoles are priced too close, I almost wonder if that would lead to fewer sales.  People could decide to wait for the Series X, or go for closer priced but similar PlayStation.  

If they are priced too far, that could work, but it might end up feeling like the second console wasn't really worth having.  

kitler53

Xbox Series S: $299
PS5: $399
Xbox Series X: $499
I generally agree with this.  

If they are wrong it would be to me that ps5 is $450 based on that BoM from zhuge.  It all depends on how much money sony's willing to lose on the hardware.  maybe the series x is too low too,.. i dunno.  i'm not good at this sort of thing.

what i do know is that at these predicted price points the ps5 is the most appealing to me regardless of fanboyish.  the (rumored) series S seems pointless to any current gen owner as it really isn't an upgrade at all (rumored).  the series x feels too expensive even if its competitively prices for the hardware.  also,.. ps5 at twice the SSD speed is prioritizing the most exciting promise of next gen,... elimination of load times,... and therefore is better hardware to me then xbox's extra terraflops.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I think everything is going to be expensive this year. The systems are beefy and given the global climate I don't think either company wants to lose a lot of money per unit sold.

Xbox Series S is seemingly stronger than Xbox One X. It could not be sub $349 in my opinion. I'd bet $399.

the-pi-guy

Xbox Series S is seemingly stronger than Xbox One X. It could not be sub $349 in my opinion. I'd bet $399.
Most of the rumors point to it being ~4TF.
Basically on par with Xbox One X, due to architecture improvements.
It feels like a cheaper to produce Xbox One X, not a better one. 

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

XSS $249
PS5 $449
XSX $599

Something like that, not put much thought into it. PS5 will be about $100-150 cheaper for sure and Sony will have to get their marketing right.

kitler53

XSS $249
PS5 $449
XSX $599

Something like that, not put much thought into it. PS5 will be about $100-150 cheaper for sure and Sony will have to get their marketing right.
$100 to $150?!?  

maybe i just don't know how to read specs but they don't look $150 different to me. 

BananaKing

499 for both Xb1 and PS5
349 for Lockhart

Legend

Most of the rumors point to it being ~4TF.
Basically on par with Xbox One X, due to architecture improvements.
It feels like a cheaper to produce Xbox One X, not a better one.  
Xbox One X is still around $349 with a game or like $449 with the sshd bundles.

I think the ssd will offset other price reductions.

Launching at $299 would be a great deal imo.

Xevross

$100 to $150?!?  

maybe i just don't know how to read specs but they don't look $150 different to me.
More expensive CPU and GPU are rather big and I think Sony are going to take a bigger hit on losses at launch. Perhaps $150 is too much but they will be $100 apart, if not PS5 is in trouble.

BananaKing

More expensive CPU and GPU are rather big and I think Sony are going to take a bigger hit on losses at launch. Perhaps $150 is too much but they will be $100 apart, if not PS5 is in trouble.
Ohh it wont. That 1.7tf difference is overblown. The mass market wont care about that when games are gonna look almost identical.

Brand, exclusives, marketing, and price will play a much bigger factor here

If price is the same then they are equal footing there. But other aspects will.play a much bigger difference than a teraflop number

Dr. Pezus

Ohh it wont. That 1.7tf difference is overblown. The mass market wont care about that when games are gonna look almost identical.

If price is the same then they are equal footing there. But other aspects will.play a much bigger difference than a teraflop number
Yes and tf doesnt tell the whole story either about performance

kitler53

i just want to see what this SSD structure really does for games and i keep wondering is xbox capable of doing similar things as what cery discussed in his GDC address despite its slower SSD?

if cerny's promise of being able to wipe out and replace the entire 16 Gb of ram "instantaneously" is really true then ps5 would basically have "infinite" ram.  to me that sounds like a bigger affect on visuals then 1.7 tf.   but then,.. can multiplat development even make use of it?  if a game on xbox is mandated to support the xbox one than it seems like taking advantage of this is not possible in multiplats without a lot of ps5 optimization.

vgchartz has thrown around the phrase "secret sauce".   i hate to agree with the haters but until sony shows a game utilizing their SSD it that's all this is.