My Game Updates

Started by nnodley, Dec 28, 2017, 04:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

May 18, 2018, 08:35 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:37 PM by nnodley

This is likely going to be the angle on the main menu of the game.  Or something similar.  It's not as dark in the actual game, but for the menu I wanted to have that sort nice contrast between light and dark.  Might tweak it though.

Legend

This is likely going to be the angle on the main menu of the game.  Or something similar.  It's not as dark in the actual game, but for the menu I wanted to have that sort nice contrast between light and dark.  Might tweak it though.
Are you also using this as the starting area, or will the camera have a fade to black when the game starts?

nnodley

May 18, 2018, 11:42 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:44 PM by nnodley
Are you also using this as the starting area, or will the camera have a fade to black when the game starts?
Actually I've thought about that. It is the starting area of the game, but I think the player is going to start in the building and be able to see the outside through the windows.  I'm probably going to play around with both this image or having it inside the building with it starting directly into the game, like GoW and Horizon have done.   I like the idea of both, just need to see which works better.

nnodley

Definitely getting somewhere.  Been pushing mad hard on getting most foliage done so once this section is done the bigger main section I can start really blocking out.  I'm now taking a less is more approach on my foliage shaders.  I'm getting such better results just having basic subsurface, albedo, and roughness tweaks.  Everything foliage wise is mostly base textures from megascans with some darkening here and there.

nnodley

Last image seemed blurry.  Think this is better.

Legend

Last image seemed blurry.  Think this is better.
Were the textures not at full quality settings?

nnodley

Were the textures not at full quality settings?
They were, but the whole image just seemed blurry.  It looks alright on my monitor in engine.  Might have been the upload.   Plus the second one I made into a bullshot. lol  Double the res and downsized to 1080.

Legend

They were, but the whole image just seemed blurry.  It looks alright on my monitor in engine.  Might have been the upload.   Plus the second one I made into a bullshot. lol  Double the res and downsized to 1080.
Haha bullshots are awesome. I oftentimes take screenshots at 16k and downsample.

nnodley

May 20, 2018, 07:16 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:48 PM by nnodley
Haha bullshots are awesome. I oftentimes take screenshots at 16k and downsample.
I just tested how mine ran at 4k on my TV.  Not so hot. lol  It was like 20 to 25 fps at all ultra settings.  Everything at high and foliage at medium it ran locked 30fps.

My main goal is 1080 at 60fps locked at ultra.  It hits that easily so far.  I haven't done any LOD optimizations either so that will help.

Looking at those first 2 images, I just want to delete that from my brain.  That looks shame compared to my newest one.  I honestly thought I would never get to the point I am now.  I'm so so so happy with it now.

Legend

I just tested how mine ran at 4k on my TV.  Not so hot. lol  It was like 20 to 25 fps at all ultra settings.  Everything at high and foliage at medium it ran locked 30fps.

My main goal is 1080 at 60fps locked at ultra.  It hits that easily so far.  I haven't done any LOD optimizations either so that will help.

Looking at those first 2 images, I just want to delete that from my brain.  That looks shame compared to my newest one.  I honestly thought I would never get to the point I am now.  I'm so so so happy with it now.
Yeah your colors have really improved. It feels artistically framed too.

How much control does Unreal give with optimizing? What's the draw call count?

nnodley

Yeah your colors have really improved. It feels artistically framed too.

How much control does Unreal give with optimizing? What's the draw call count?
I'm not really too sure.  I haven't looked into a ton of optimizing. I do know my foliage is the biggest culprit in performance because of overdraw of opacity.  Thats where I have been creating my meshes with more tris to eliminate as much overdraw as possible.

Also I think using Simul TrueSky has helped tremendously because it has it's own GI solution so it's really helped.

Legend

I'm not really too sure.  I haven't looked into a ton of optimizing. I do know my foliage is the biggest culprit in performance because of overdraw of opacity.  Thats where I have been creating my meshes with more tris to eliminate as much overdraw as possible.

Also I think using Simul TrueSky has helped tremendously because it has it's own GI solution so it's really helped.
You're using meshes for leaves and grass instead of textures?

nnodley

You're using meshes for leaves and grass instead of textures?
No I'm building my meshes on top of the texture atlases from megascans.  Everything is made with mesh cards.

Legend

No I'm building my meshes on top of the texture atlases from megascans.  Everything is made with mesh cards.
I think that's more or less what I was thinking.

I'm so lucky I'm on PS4 since I can optimize for specific hardware instead of just general things.

nnodley

I think that's more or less what I was thinking.

I'm so lucky I'm on PS4 since I can optimize for specific hardware instead of just general things.
Yeah I'll have to have some people test mine eventually since I'm working on a GTX 1080 with a Ryzen 8 core, 8gb VRAM and 32 GB Ram.

And yeah i'm doing foliage how its normally done in games.

Go Up