Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I'm glad i'm not super into star wars.  Haven't seen any in theaters, but i'll likely enjoy it when I watch on digital/bluray.

Wow that reminds me, episode 9 might be the first I don't see in theaters outside of 4-6.

That's kinda sad  :'(

Xevross

Wow that reminds me, episode 9 might be the first I don't see in theaters outside of 4-6.

That's kinda sad  :'(
Well it is the way it is, loads of people didn't see Solo in theatre as well. I'm glad SW is taking a few years break now, because I don't know if I'd have any desire to see a 2020 SW film in the cinema.

I'm just kinda tired at this point, Star Wars has nothing new or fresh to do or say. TLJ tried and was trashed to hell and back for it, the fans won't change so this won't change either. The bigger problem is now that they're struggling toeven make great, memorable films. Solo was good fun but not memorable at all, Rise is just really incompetently made (although I doubt I'll forget the film with how many baffling decisions there are).

At least Mandalorian is great fun to watch. Seems like the SW IP is much more suited to TV shows nowadays, I guess letting actual hardcore SW fans do their own thing helps as well.

Legend

Well it is the way it is, loads of people didn't see Solo in theatre as well. I'm glad SW is taking a few years break now, because I don't know if I'd have any desire to see a 2020 SW film in the cinema.

I'm just kinda tired at this point, Star Wars has nothing new or fresh to do or say. TLJ tried and was trashed to hell and back for it, the fans won't change so this won't change either. The bigger problem is now that they're struggling toeven make great, memorable films. Solo was good fun but not memorable at all, Rise is just really incompetently made (although I doubt I'll forget the film with how many baffling decisions there are).

At least Mandalorian is great fun to watch. Seems like the SW IP is much more suited to TV shows nowadays, I guess letting actual hardcore SW fans do their own thing helps as well.
I don't have Disney + so don't spoil me if I'm wrong but it seems like the key right now is to make movies and shows that are fully separate from "Star Wars." Throw in an awesome cameo like Darth Vader in Rogue One where it is 100% fan service but that's it.

Xevross

B+ cinemascore for star wars. Good god that's bad, a big franchise blockbuster even getting an A- is sketchy but a B+... Wow. That's the worst for any star wars film, also lower than all MCU films for example. TLJ and TFA both got an A.

Xevross

Disney reporting a $90m OD for star wars. So about $50m true Friday.

Insiders currently putting Saturday at about $49m... that's horrible. Saturday less than Friday is only ever excusable on a full holiday Friday. Saturday should really be at the very least a 5% bump over friday... perhaps that B+ is kicking in

Xevross

Overseas opening looks worse than it did on Friday, it seems Saturday is similarly poor in a lot of places. Both big insiders saying OS debut looking 195-200m, so perhaps a global opening of $375m for Star Wars. Holy guacamoley, that's quite far under 1/3 of Endgame's opening earlier this year and in fact it now looks almost certain Skywalker's total will be less than Endgame's opening weekend.

How the mighty fall.

BananaKing

Yaaaaaaasssss

Yaaaaaaaaasssss

Let it die!

Hopefully the starwars franchise wont be milked as much as it is now and can fudge off a little. At some point it was starwars everywhere, from movies, to games to series and it was annoying.

the-pi-guy

Yaaaaaaasssss

Yaaaaaaaaasssss

Let it die!

Hopefully the starwars franchise wont be milked as much as it is now and can fudge off a little. At some point it was starwars everywhere, from movies, to games to series and it was annoying.
You mean you aren't a fan of the yearly star war movies, and several big budget games that were announced just over the past few years.  

BananaKing

You mean you aren't a fan of the yearly star war movies, and several big budget games that were announced just over the past few years.  
No I'm absolutely loving it. I love that talented studios are all put on making games within the same IP and milking it too

Xevross

Dec 22, 2019, 04:25 PM Last Edit: Dec 22, 2019, 04:29 PM by Xevross
Yaaaaaaasssss

Yaaaaaaaaasssss

Let it die!

Bit harsh!

No I'm absolutely loving it. I love that talented studios are all put on making games within the same IP and milking it too
We've had barely any SW games the last few years. I loved Jedi Fallen Order so I'm excited for more. Its a franchise that suits games very well and studios can still be very creative and have decent freedom due to the extent of the universe.

Anyways here's what Disney's going with for official estiamtes: $175.5M dom and $373.5M worldwide opening. What a decline from the heights of TFA, wowzas. 12th biggest dom opening of all time... jeez you'd have made a lot of money if you bet on this opening outside the top 10. Incredibles 2 did $7m better!

Legend

I feel this way about movie ip games so so much. They can end up being great and a few a year are fine but I really don't want them to become the norm.

Xevross

Monday looking like $28-30m for Star Wars. The first good day for it, the best monday drop out of all 4 christmas SW films. It would have been alarming if not though since its the closest release to christmas out of all of them. TFA is probably the best comparison in this case (only 2 days earlier release) and that had a 34% drop on Monday.

BananaKing

I feel this way about movie ip games so so much. They can end up being great and a few a year are fine but I really don't want them to become the norm.
Yeah they usually suck and it's a waste of time. Not sure if spiderman is considered a movie tie in or not but that's the only game I'd consider worth it. There is a finite number of talented game studios. And wasting so many of them on an IP is just... sad.

Legend

Yeah they usually suck and it's a waste of time. Not sure if spiderman is considered a movie tie in or not but that's the only game I'd consider worth it. There is a finite number of talented game studios. And wasting so many of them on an IP is just... sad.
I wanna see the Avatar game at e3 next year. That could be cool imo since it will probably just use Pandora as a setting. Or it will really suck.

BananaKing

I wanna see the Avatar game at e3 next year. That could be cool imo since it will probably just use Pandora as a setting. Or it will really suck.

From what I seen, the gameplay seems fun, but they went for a looter genre, which IMO kinda sucks, I wish they would have had a proper single player and a separate multiplayer from it. Something more in the line of RDR2 ir GTA5.

A 10~ hour campaign for an avengers game doesnt sound exciting at all.

Go Up