Xbox Live Gold Price Doubles. Update: Decision Reversed and F2P Games No Longer Need Gold

Started by Xevross, Jan 22, 2021, 02:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

well that settles that.   i'm going to be quite mad if sony follows suit.   i'll take sony's $70 pricing model on games over this.  i can hold out easy enough for a game to drop it's price.  i can't do that so easily for subs.
Yeah doubling of a sub price is really bad. The price hike of games in the US was "only" +17% which is obviously a lot smaller, and games will probably be found for similar prices on sale for those who wait.

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Matt on Era
MS is no longer in the Xbox business, they are in the Game Pass business. Every other part of their game strategy has been or will be made to support the health and reach of Game Pass.

kitler53

i'm reading the response to this and am impressed at how bad it is.   seems like people are finally figuring out xbox is the only platform that makes you pay to play free-to-play titles.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

Really weird that they didn't see that coming

Legend

What the heck?

That's great but how could something like this happen?

kitler53

What the heck?

That's great but how could something like this happen?
greed. 

i'll bet they could have gotten away with $70 or even $80.  $120 (or double) is just too big of a jump all at once.  ms is massive,. you'd think they had a customer psychologist in employment. 

this price jump will happen somewhere else now.  ms is going to bleed money once all their new studios start putting their games on gamepass. they need to find somewhere else to make it back or post massive losses for a while as they hope gamepass subs increase to 100+ million. 

the-pi-guy

Zhuge has a Twitter thread about this.

Quote from: Marano, post: 56980109, member: 41549

Quote from: Marano, post: 56980118, member: 41549

kitler53

I still don't think gamepass is viable. his thread reenforces that.  if they can't convert a huge portion of their gold subscribers on xbox how are they going to convert the mainstream. 

Xevross

Jan 24, 2021, 02:53 PM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2021, 03:29 PM by Xevross
I still don't think gamepass is viable. his thread reenforces that.  if they can't convert a huge portion of their gold subscribers on xbox how are they going to convert the mainstream.
For it to be successful they need to convince millions upon millions of casual gamers to get it. It needs to become as huge as Netflix.

And they're not there yet at all. Hardcore gamers may be buying into it, but xbox don't gain anything from this, in fact it might be a net loss as hardcore gamers could be saving money with game pass compared to buying their games full price from xbox.

Game pass is extremely high risk, and not just for xbox. If they acquire lots of IPs and studios for it then others have to respond. If the "value" of game pass becomes expected from everyone, other places may also have to take risky strategies that lower their profits just to compete. Its risky for the entire industry.

I have many reasons to ignore game pass, I'm not supporting any of this. A sub model is just not what I want for the gaming industry.

kitler53

For it to be successful they need to convince millions upon millions of casual gamers to get it. It needs to become as huge as Netflix.

And they're not there yet at all. Hardcore gamers may be buying into it, but xbox don't gain anything from this, in fact it might be a net loss as hardcore gamers could be saving money with game pass compared to buying their games full price from xbox.

Game pass is extremely high risk, and not just for xbox. If they acquire lots of IPs and studios for it then others have to respond. If the "value" of game pass becomes expected from everyone, other places may also have to take risky strategies that lower their profits just to compete. Its risky for the entire industry.

I have many reasons to ignore game pass, I'm not supporting any of this. A sub model is just not what I want for the gaming industry.
there are huge differences between the music/movie industries and the game industry but the main one is gamepass isn't a great value for a huge potion of the gaming community.

when netflix took off the alternative was cable at like $180 per month (in my area).  $10 per month was an amazing value.

huge portions of the gaming community (even just the portion of gamers that buy consoles) don't spend $180 a year on games.  they play f2p games like fortnight.  they buy one game a year like CoD or Fifa.   or they buy quite a few games but by them on sale instead of day-1 (like i do).   the "tie ratio" for ps4 was better than most consoles at 11 games sold per console.   11/6 is less than 2 games per year "on average".   the average gamer is not spending $180 a year on games.   it's going to be a much harder sell to the average gamer to pay for to get more compared to netflix which was pay massively less to get the same and get it in a way that is much convenient (on demand) and gets rid of commercials.  netflix literally had everything going for it and even then it  took a decade to grow to a place where they could be profitable.

Xevross

Jan 24, 2021, 05:49 PM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2021, 05:51 PM by Xevross
there are huge differences between the music/movie industries and the game industry but the main one is gamepass isn't a great value for a huge potion of the gaming community.

when netflix took off the alternative was cable at like $180 per month (in my area).  $10 per month was an amazing value.

huge portions of the gaming community (even just the portion of gamers that buy consoles) don't spend $180 a year on games.  they play f2p games like fortnight.  they buy one game a year like CoD or Fifa.   or they buy quite a few games but by them on sale instead of day-1 (like i do).   the "tie ratio" for ps4 was better than most consoles at 11 games sold per console.   11/6 is less than 2 games per year "on average".   the average gamer is not spending $180 a year on games.   it's going to be a much harder sell to the average gamer to pay for to get more compared to netflix which was pay massively less to get the same and get it in a way that is much convenient (on demand) and gets rid of commercials.  netflix literally had everything going for it and even then it  took a decade to grow to a place where they could be profitable.
Yeah definitely. Game pass has a great start due to appealing to people that view it as amazing value and are actually saving money with it. There's not many of those people left now though, they've got to try and convince people to actually spend more than the otherwise would for this new service. That's why they're doing stuff like buying Bethesda, so they have lots of big games coming out on there day 1.

The more games they have that come to GP on day 1, and possibly more importantly the more diverse the line-up is, the more people will see game pass as good value and jump onboard. But I'm not sure if its financially possible to do that. Dumping $1bil to increase the value of game pass would only pay itself off within 5 years if it convinced ~1.5 million people to permanently sub to game pass. And every million subs you add, the next million is harder to convince as you reach a more casual audience.

Legend

Not to take away from Daniel's analysis, but the TLDR is:

Microsoft wanted a lot more money.

I think that was crystal clear and this attempted price hike should tarnish their "player positive" perception for years, just like Xbox One's DRM. It's ludicrous that they thought extorting players into gamepass was a good idea.

the-pi-guy

Not to take away from Daniel's analysis, but the TLDR is:

Microsoft wanted a lot more money.

I think that was crystal clear and this attempted price hike should tarnish their "player positive" perception for years, just like Xbox One's DRM. It's ludicrous that they thought extorting players into gamepass was a good idea.
Well of course they want to make more money. The interesting bit is how they are planning to get there.  

MS is in an interesting position.  They still feel like a traditional console with the Series X and yet we hear constantly about how they don't care about traditional gaming anymore.  

It's weird to me hearing how we are essentially in a post Xbox world.

the-pi-guy

What if MS put game pass on PS5 and let people play first part y XSX games?  MS expands their Gamepass, Sony doesn't lose game market share.

Go Up