Tencent raising billions for purchase

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 21, 2021, 03:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Legend

Yuck.

Tencent is involved with a lot of cool games but I don't want to see them buy something huge.

kitler53

i hate tencent.   fudge them.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Well, its better than Microsoft at least.

Legend

Well, its better than Microsoft at least.
Gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

kitler53

i'm going to have to agree with your disagreement.

i want a winnie the pooh video game and i'm never going to get it now.

Xevross

Why? Xbox suck with studio management, and the studios will probably make games for fewer platforms/ people. Xbox buying anything is a lose-lose.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Tencent are fairly hands-off with what they buy, they just do it to keep rapidly growing their value and portfolio.

DerNebel

Yea I'll take Tencent buying a publisher over MS any day of the week.

Legend

Why? Xbox suck with studio management, and the studios will probably make games for fewer platforms/ people. Xbox buying anything is a lose-lose.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Tencent are fairly hands-off with what they buy, they just do it to keep rapidly growing their value and portfolio.
Tencent owns a part of Reddit, Frontier Developments, and Epic. Nothing felt like it changed from my point of view. I don't doubt that whatever they buy will be mostly unaffected. Compared to Microsoft, the only issue is that Tencent allegedly has ties to the Chinese government.

I don't think Xbox is a lose lose. Consolidation is bad imo, but exclusives are good. So far it looks like they are empowering their new studios instead of harming them.

Xevross

Tencent owns a part of Reddit, Frontier Developments, and Epic. Nothing felt like it changed from my point of view. I don't doubt that whatever they buy will be mostly unaffected. Compared to Microsoft, the only issue is that Tencent allegedly has ties to the Chinese government.

I don't think Xbox is a lose lose. Consolidation is bad imo, but exclusives are good. So far it looks like they are empowering their new studios instead of harming them.
Exclusives are only good when they're from a studio that was created and fully funded by the company itself. A first party buying any studio nowadays is basically just dropping a load of money to say never release your games elsewhere. Its more okay if it was a close partner studio that was basically just making exclusives anyway, and of course the extra investment and security is good, but you can get that from being bought by any big company.

That's why I'd give Tencent the edge over Microsoft. I think I'd be upset about a dev I like being bought by either of them, but Tencent would make me less upset.

kitler53

allegedly?!?

the-pi-guy

Tencent is a poorly executed company, but in a gaming sense i'd prefer them.  In a moral sense though, it's easily MS.  

Legend

allegedly?!?
The Chinese government is doing ethnic cleansing among other horrible things. I don't really know Tencent's record however.

Legend

Exclusives are only good when they're from a studio that was created and fully funded by the company itself. A first party buying any studio nowadays is basically just dropping a load of money to say never release your games elsewhere. Its more okay if it was a close partner studio that was basically just making exclusives anyway, and of course the extra investment and security is good, but you can get that from being bought by any big company.

That's why I'd give Tencent the edge over Microsoft. I think I'd be upset about a dev I like being bought by either of them, but Tencent would make me less upset.
So far it feels like Microsoft is investing in the studios and improving their games, not just paying for exclusivity. I think Bethesda will be the real test though. They were already huge and it'll be hard for Microsoft to make it not feel like what you're describing.

the-pi-guy

I doubt it, but 2021 anything can happen.