Do you like more accessible games that "streamline" features?

Started by Legend, Jun 15, 2020, 06:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Fallout 4 was simpler than Fallout 3.
Botw lacked a lot of the things previous Zeldas have.

Yet other franchises have gone the other direction.

Uncharted 4 added dialogue choices and a hook.
GOW added RPG mechanics.

What are your thoughts?

Legend

Right now I'm actually tending towards streamlined accessible games. I want there to be depth but I absolutely am not really into micromanagement in most games.

the-pi-guy

I prefer a stupid amount of features.
Give me choices, give me a reason to keep playing longer than I should.  

On the other hand it shouldn't get in the way of the game.

kitler53

i like the stream lining of certain features,.. like when i play a last gen remaster i am immediately reminded how stupid save points were and how much better life with with autosaves.

but as far as the core gameplay goes,.. i like both.  sometimes i want to play and easy game just to relax.  sometimes i want to play a game with a lot of depth,.. mulling over a talent tree is one of my favorite things to do in a game like WoW.

just keep it fun.  there is nothing worse then a system that demands a lot of attention but offers little reward.  if you are going to make me manage my equipment my equipment better have a substantial influence on how my character plays with lot's of "pro/con" things to consider.   there is nothing worse than managing equipment manually when the equipment is too simple like only providing a "+armor" stat so that clearly there is only 1 piece of armor worth wearing in my inventory.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

It really depends on the game and how much I'm into it. For BOTW the more streamlined nature really worked to make the adventure and exploration shine, but a game that's much more combat focused wouldn't benefit from that at all.

Legend

i like the stream lining of certain features,.. like when i play a last gen remaster i am immediately reminded how stupid save points were and how much better life with with autosaves.

but as far as the core gameplay goes,.. i like both.  sometimes i want to play and easy game just to relax.  sometimes i want to play a game with a lot of depth,.. mulling over a talent tree is one of my favorite things to do in a game like WoW.

just keep it fun.  there is nothing worse then a system that demands a lot of attention but offers little reward.  if you are going to make me manage my equipment my equipment better have a substantial influence on how my character plays with lot's of "pro/con" things to consider.   there is nothing worse than managing equipment manually when the equipment is too simple like only providing a "+armor" stat so that clearly there is only 1 piece of armor worth wearing in my inventory.
Death Stranding was great with your second point imo. All the cargo had to be physically on your body and placing different things in different locations had a large impact on the gameplay... but for all intents and purposes it was still just "+balance."

The devs seemingly realized this and put in an auto arrange button. Made the super complicated system super quick and easy.