Embracer Group have embraced Crystal Dynamics, other Square studios

Started by the-pi-guy, May 02, 2022, 09:37 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I would largely disagree.

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts are each a much bigger deal than Tomb Raider.

Uncharted and Tomb Raider are fairly similar, and Sony already has the bigger franchise of the two.

Eidos-Montreal/Deus Ex wasn't super successful.  Guardians of the Galaxy was the most notable thing they had done, but it was severely damaged due to Avenger's game.

This was despite Eidos launching Guardians of the Galaxy last year.
They aren't money printing machines, but they fit Sony's portfolio and have potential. At the very least they could be solid support studios for Sony's other projects since they have AAA and Unreal experience.

Tomb Raider as an IP I agree isn't that interesting for them, unless Sony can also get the movie rights.

the-pi-guy

They aren't money printing machines, but they fit Sony's portfolio and have potential. At the very least they could be solid support studios for Sony's other projects since they have AAA and Unreal experience.
That's true, but at the same time I have to imagine that Sony is interested in diversifying.

Sony has been shelling out for exclusivity with Final Fantasy. Square has a pretty big hold on Japanese RPGs.

the-pi-guy

Banana's favorite man:

Sony acquiring Square was the big rumor. But I CANNOT confirm that. And I continue to not know.
Just the way these things work, no one wants to talk to us about acquisitions because prison.

BananaKing

I told you he was alluding to it.

If Sony buys square it would be the dumbest aquisition ever.

kitler53

depends on how much. 

SE is good but could improve under better management. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

They already pay Square for Forspoken, Final Fantasy VII, XVI exclusivity, and probably others.

Not to mention they'd get Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, lots of A/AA games.
They're keeping the Life is Strange, Just Cause IPs.

It's not the best acquisition ever, but Square has been huge for Sony historically and even now they're still a pretty big deal. Even if they're not up your alley. :P

darkknightkryta

SIE won't buy Square.  Sony the parent would.  Square has a large hand in anime and Sony seems to be consolidating the anime space.  The game division is just bonus that they can hand off to SIE.

BananaKing

Most if not all of SE's games come to playstation. If MS buy them SE and their IPs will die. Their games will come to playstation regardless. Honestly I dont know why Sony spends so much on timed and full exclusive FF games.

Its a horribly mismanaged company anyways that takes forever to release games.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Nice title

Legend

Crystal Dynamics takes control of its most beloved games : Games

Eidos-Montréal now owns the games it developed : Games

Funny way to try and make these studios feel independent. Maybe there is some truth to it though.

kitler53

both articles were just public notices of the transfer of "data" ownership from SE.  what a nothingburger. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up