PS5 VRR rolls out this week

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 25, 2022, 07:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Variable Refresh Rate support for PS5 is rolling out this week - PlayStation.Blog

In the coming weeks, the PS5 versions of these titles will receive game patches enabling VRR support:

Astro's Playroom
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Destiny 2
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
DIRT 5
Godfall
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Resident Evil Village
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Tribes of Midgard
As an added option, you can also choose to apply VRR to PS5 games that don't support it. This feature may improve video quality for some games. If this results in any unexpected visual effects, you can turn off this option at any time. Please note that results may vary depending on the TV you're using, the game you're playing, and the visual mode you've selected for a particular game (if it supports multiple modes). For more details on VRR settings, check out this page: How to enable and adjust 4K resolution on a PS5 console

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Insomniac is a beast by the way.

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered Update 1.007 Patch Notes; Adds VRR Support & More This April 25

Adding VRR, a 40hz mode to Spider-man remastered

Legend

Any news on how good it is? Like I want vrr for sub 30 games!

Dr. Pezus

Yay finally! I loo forward to testing dirt 5 with it. I notice some drops in it, will be interesting to see if VRR changes that

the-pi-guy

Because our titles are already built to have very stable frame rates, the main effect of the VRR system setting will be to slightly increase dynamic image resolution targets.
https://support.insomniac.games/hc/en-us/articles/5544958618509-What-is-VRR-support

I'm having a hard time understanding how that works.

But I guess this is a benefit for having developer control for VRR.
From what I understand Xbox games don't have a way of interacting with VRR.

Legend

https://support.insomniac.games/hc/en-us/articles/5544958618509-What-is-VRR-support

I'm having a hard time understanding how that works.

But I guess this is a benefit for having developer control for VRR.
From what I understand Xbox games don't have a way of interacting with VRR.
Probably just allows them to be a bit more aggressive. It's impossible to predict exactly how long it'll take to render the next frame, so a conservative resolution is normally used to avoid any frame drops.

the-pi-guy

Probably just allows them to be a bit more aggressive. It's impossible to predict exactly how long it'll take to render the next frame, so a conservative resolution is normally used to avoid any frame drops.
That does make sense.

the-pi-guy

1.) I like how "in the coming months" = 1 month to the day almost.

2.) It's a little funny how many people seem to think this is some kind of magic 60 fps mode.  

3.) Insomniac might be Sony's best purchase. It's absurd how they put out new games and new patches for random stuff.

SWORDF1SH

This is all very nice but I don't have a TV of monitor that supports VRR  :'(

Dr. Pezus

This is all very nice but I don't have a TV of monitor that supports VRR  :'(
I have the LG C1 which is apparently great with VRR so I've been looking forward to it

kitler53

my tv does not support VRR and it's fairly new.   i wouldn't get a new tv over this feature so it will be a good 10 years before i see it in my home.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

my tv does not support VRR and it's fairly new.   i wouldn't get a new tv over this feature so it will be a good 10 years before i see it in my home.
What TV do you have?

kitler53

What TV do you have?
i dunno.  samsung something something from about 2 years ago.  4k HDR which was the flavor of the day at the time.  VRR became a thing (afaik) about a year later.

there is always a "next thing".  i find most of them not as cool as the hype implies.   HDR was,.. not anything to brag about now that i have it.   I'm certain VRR is the same.   

even though VR makes me a bit motion sick and thus something i wouldn't want for constant viewing,.. at least there is like an actual improvement (or at least difference) in the viewing experience.  my old tv was moved to the other room and as far as i'm concerned my new TV is indistinguishable from my old (~8 years old now) TV despite being only 1080p and not HDR.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Any news on how good it is? Like I want vrr for sub 30 games!

Seems like it only covers 48-120.

A bit disappointing.

i dunno.  samsung something something from about 2 years ago.  4k HDR which was the flavor of the day at the time.  VRR became a thing (afaik) about a year later.

there is always a "next thing".  i find most of them not as cool as the hype implies.   HDR was,.. not anything to brag about now that i have it.   I'm certain VRR is the same.
Some older TVs have added VRR. Some 2018 TVs have VRR.

And eh, I don't think that's the best take on what VRR is. It was never the next greatest thing. It's a minor feature. It's also arguably a lame feature, because it's mostly there to prevent an issue.

It's like having a minivan where the back door goes up a little higher. You're not going to notice anything is different, except you might notice that you're hitting your head less frequently.

And if you're someone who wasn't noticing they were hitting their head on the old van, then it isn't going to make much of a difference.