Skull & Bones - Ubisoft's nightmare

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 20, 2021, 05:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Jul 20, 2021, 05:33 PM Last Edit: Jul 20, 2021, 05:35 PM by the-pi-guy
A few people said it was cursed. Others simply had no idea what they were supposed to be making. "Nobody knew what the fudge they were doing," said one former developer.

Skull & Bones development began back in 2013, as a multiplayer expansion to Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag that would release as a post-launch update, three sources with knowledge of the project's origins said. The expansion soon took on a life of its own, however, morphing into a full blown MMO-like spin-off with the working title Black Flag Infinite, and later a brand new pirate game called Skull & Bones.
interviews with more than 20 current and former Ubisoft developers, as well as those with knowledge of the game, its troubled development, and the studio leading production on it, tell a different story. Skull & Bones never had a clear creative vision behind it, suffered from too many managers vying for power, and was plagued by almost annual reboots and mini-freshes, they said. Years into development basic questions around the game's core design still haven't been nailed down, even as ambitions for the would-be game-as-a-service continue to mount within Ubisoft's head Paris office
https://kotaku.com/first-it-was-an-assassins-creed-expansion-now-its-ubis-1847326742?utm_campaign=Kotaku&utm_content=1626793253&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

Legend

I'm sure it will be good once it finally ships  :'(

kitler53

lol, you still think this will ship..

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

lol, you still think this will ship..
What can I say, I'm a sarcastic guy.

Dr. Pezus

It's a sinking ship

Legend

It's a sinking ship
It's strange that the article says management is still ambitious. I'd imagine at this point they'd just want to cut together a minimum viable product and call it a day. That approach worked great for Freelancer. Chris Roberts kept delaying it to increase the scope until Microsoft took over and shoved a product out the door.

BananaKing

I wish they would figure this game out and release it already.