Im counting on elden ring to save open world gaming

Started by BananaKing, Apr 27, 2021, 02:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

BananaKing

I am getting a bit sick and bored with the repeated formula open world games have now days.

Exploration is for the most part a repeated loop of walking around, to find an exclamation mark on your map, which will send you on a linear quest (with bad dialogue/writing  most of the time) which will reward you with some XP, a bit of cash, and some supplies that you can basically find scattered across the map.

What happens next? Nothing. What happens if you don't do it? Nothing. What happens if you start but don't finish? Nothing.

I get it, they offer mini stories for the player to experience. But its getting boring when that's all games have to offer.

The witcher 3 did the exclamation mark thing a lot, and let's be honest it popularised it. But the thing is, every quest (for the most part) had you making some sort of decision, sometimes it had an affect on the world, and sometimes it had an affect on the main story. And most of them were all well written.

Now open world games have taken that, dumbed it down, And here we are. Exploring open worlds has no meaning. And now back to my main point, elden ring. If there is one thing that from software knows what to do, its exploration. Adding secrets and meanings behind that exploration. I hope they breakaway from this now tedious format and offer something fresh, something that will make other devs take notice that open world exploration can be more than an exclamation mark.

kitler53

you basically sumed up why i've never loved open world games.  i've always thought they were boring compared to linear for all that. horizon was saved by fantastic combat gameplay but it would have been better not as an open world game.  GoW hit the right balance for me with open/linear gameplay. 

not sure i'd say fromsoftware is an expert at exploration.  their games have been very linear.  albeit with fantastic level design but linear all the same. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Apr 27, 2021, 12:11 PM Last Edit: Apr 27, 2021, 12:13 PM by Xevross
Spider-Man is an open world I've super loved recently, and that's because its Spider-Man. Ghost of Tsushima was really great, I loved the exploration stuff they did there and the world unlocking in stages. Breath of the Wild hit a magic formula that no other game has emulated, out of the formula/ Ubisoft open world types HZD is the peak for me.

From Software might not be the best one to rely on considering this is their first real go at proper open world.

I'm waiting to see what Guerrilla do with HFW

BananaKing

Im relying on from because this is their first take on open world, and they are in a position to do exploration in a new way compared to how other devs do it

To me the best open world design is RDR2 without a doubt. They had all these dynamic events, little stories, interesting things to explore and secrets. Yes, they still had some of the "question/exclamation mark" type quests. But those all had great cut scenes and stories. Effort was put into it. And in a little way sometimes they had an affect on the world.

But yeah, open world games used to indicate the magic of exploring and going anywhere and finding all types of new things. Now you know what you're getting exactly wherever you go.

Legend

Im relying on from because this is their first take on open world, and they are in a position to do exploration in a new way compared to how other devs do it

To me the best open world design is RDR2 without a doubt. They had all these dynamic events, little stories, interesting things to explore and secrets. Yes, they still had some of the "question/exclamation mark" type quests. But those all had great cut scenes and stories. Effort was put into it. And in a little way sometimes they had an affect on the world.

But yeah, open world games used to indicate the magic of exploring and going anywhere and finding all types of new things. Now you know what you're getting exactly wherever you go.
I think RDR2 has one of the worst open worlds despite how fun exploration is. The world itself is amazing and incredibly detailed but you're only supposed to do what the devs want you to do. I tried to bring an outlaw back to camp instead of turning them in and it just puts up an invisible wall for example.

Now Death Stranding though, that's the future of open world. Or at least one future. Traveling between locations is just as important as what you do when you get there.