Resident Evil MetaVIIIc

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 24, 2021, 07:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

darkknightkryta

I'm near the end.  I'll say, the game is fantastic.  If it was third person, it would be almost as good as 4.  Games just get reviewed more harsher nowadays

Xevross

May 09, 2021, 08:16 PM Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 08:19 PM by Xevross
I'm near the end.  I'll say, the game is fantastic.  If it was third person, it would be almost as good as 4.  Games just get reviewed more harsher nowadays
That last sentence isn't true at all. Mid-high 90s are more hard to come by due to more outlets reviewing and more possible bogey scores, but I don't think overall average scores have dropped at all. An 84 is an 84,  you just like it more than the average reviewer.

darkknightkryta

That last sentence isn't true at all. Mid-high 90s are more hard to come by due to more outlets reviewing and more possible bogey scores, but I don't think overall average scores have dropped at all. An 84 is an 84,  you just like it more than the average reviewer.
I don't really look at reviews anymore, but what high profile game gets significantly higher than 90?  I genuinely ask that question cause I don't even know what big release there was these past few years other than The Last of Us 2 and God of War.  I guess Spider-man as well?  Though I wouldn't rate Spider-man higher than Resident Evil 8.

Xevross

I don't really look at reviews anymore, but what high profile game gets significantly higher than 90?  I genuinely ask that question cause I don't even know what big release there was these past few years other than The Last of Us 2 and God of War.  I guess Spider-man as well?  Though I wouldn't rate Spider-man higher than Resident Evil 8.
Spider-Man has an 87.

SMO, BOTW, RDR2, P5, GOW, TLOU2, Hades, Dinivity OS2, RE2 Remake, HL Alyx, Demon's Souls Remake, SSBU, FH4, Disco Elysium, SOTC Remake, Flight Sim, Celeste are all games with 92+ since 2017. There's even more on 90-91.

the-pi-guy

I know early on, last gen with Knack and Killzone there was a feeling that critics were being tougher that gen.  

And in some respects I think there's a bigger push to "use the entire scale", and there are more reviewers so we aren't seeing as many cases of a game getting a 99 with 13 reviews any more.  

But overall, I don't think we have really seen a notable shift in review scores.  

the-pi-guy

It's also important to keep in mind that games are tending to take longer to make.  I feel like this is particularly notable for the studios that make the games that hit 90+.  
Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica studio are tending to take longer.  

And on some level I think there's an issue with higher expectations. ~85 is a great game.  

Go Up