PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

The "AAA" ranking is kind of dubious on some level. It is an inflating/changing value, that requires a fairly arbitrary cut off point. Some games are obviously AAA like Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo.  If those aren't AAA, then nothing is.  

But once you go away from the very top end, I think it gets harder.  Someone could say that The Last of Us part 2 wasn't AAA, because it didn't cost $150 million like GTA did.  
I can't remember who said it, but someone said something along the lines that $100 million games was cut off for AAA, and at the time it would have meant that Uncharted 3 or the Last of Us wouldn't be considered AAA? (Can't remember exactly and wasn't able to find the article)

I can definitely understand Ratchet and Clank, Returnal not being AAA, but they don't feel AA to me either.  

Demon's souls is a tricky one. If it were made from scratch I would definitely call it a AAA game, but it's almost like a AAA game with a AA budget.

the-pi-guy

Sony has zero AAA next gen exclusives announced.

Meanwhile Avatar and Suicide Squad are next gen only. It's crazy that it's possible 3rd parties will jump to next gen faster than Sony.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/several-playstation-channels-states-ubisoft-massives-avatar-is-coming-to-ps4-recently-cancelled-last-generation-version.442582/
Several PlayStation channels states Ubisoft Massive's Avatar is coming to PS4 (recently cancelled last generation version?)

Legend

Jun 15, 2021, 03:05 PM Last Edit: Jun 15, 2021, 03:18 PM by Legend
Game was set to release in 2020 so that makes sense. Meanwhile Sony delays GOW from 2021 to 2022 and adds PS4 lol.

edt: but I doubt it was as recent as the last month causing multiple versions of the trailer to be sent out.

Xevross

Game was set to release in 2020 so that makes sense. Meanwhile Sony delays GOW from 2021 to 2022 and adds PS4 lol.

edt: but I doubt it was as recent as the last month causing multiple versions of the trailer to be sent out.
Remains one of the dumbest decisions ever in my mind.

Dr. Pezus

Remains one of the dumbest decisions ever in my mind.
Not as bad as releasing PS3 only games the year after PS4 released

SWORDF1SH

Is GoW going to PS4 really a big issue? Unless they had to scrap features to take it to PS4, it really doesn't matter if it goes to PS4.

Legend

Fine for the game, stupid for the business.

GOW2 turned out amazing.

Is GoW going to PS4 really a big issue? Unless they had to scrap features to take it to PS4, it really doesn't matter if it goes to PS4.
It's not a big issue, but yeah they are probably scaling back the PS5 version by releasing on PS4.

Dr. Pezus

GOW2 turned out amazing.
Well yeah and GT6 was pretty dang good but it had me wishing the whole time they had just made a PS4 version.

SWORDF1SH

Jun 15, 2021, 05:12 PM Last Edit: Jun 15, 2021, 05:15 PM by SWORDF1SH
Or releasing Gran Turismo 6 a month before PS4 console launch with no PS4 version planned or ever made.

GOW2 turned out amazing.
It's not a big issue, but yeah they are probably scaling back the PS5 version by releasing on PS4.
If they are scaling back then I'm totally against it. What sort of things will they scale back on? Won't it be as simple as making the PS5 version and then dialing back of resolution and features to get it to run on PS4?

Legend

Or releasing Gran Turismo 6 a month before PS4 console launch with no PS4 version planned or ever made.
If they are scaling back then I'm totally against it. What sort of things will they scale back on? Won't it be as simple as making the PS5 version and then dialing back of resolution and features to get it to run on PS4?
Everything can be solved with money. In the case of Titanfall last generation, Bluepoint handled the 360 port and thus the game wasn't affected.

Sony could do that but most likely the PS4 and PS5 versions will be internally linked. Why spend the time prototyping a feature that only works on PS5 when the PS4 version is "good enough?" This matters in visuals but primarily matters for gameplay and level design.

You know how games have elevators and squeezing between rocks to hide loading? Those are pretty obvious but in reality almost every part of a game level is designed to function like this. Mountains are placed to block views, curves are used to slow the player down, etc. The limitations of the hardware are directly linked to how the world is arranged. It'd be very expensive for Sony to have a different version of environments on PS4 and PS5. Unless Sony is ok with the PS4 version running really poorly, they'll find a compromise somewhere in the middle of what each system is capable of and then work from there.

SWORDF1SH

Everything can be solved with money. In the case of Titanfall last generation, Bluepoint handled the 360 port and thus the game wasn't affected.

Sony could do that but most likely the PS4 and PS5 versions will be internally linked. Why spend the time prototyping a feature that only works on PS5 when the PS4 version is "good enough?" This matters in visuals but primarily matters for gameplay and level design.

You know how games have elevators and squeezing between rocks to hide loading? Those are pretty obvious but in reality almost every part of a game level is designed to function like this. Mountains are placed to block views, curves are used to slow the player down, etc. The limitations of the hardware are directly linked to how the world is arranged. It'd be very expensive for Sony to have a different version of environments on PS4 and PS5. Unless Sony is ok with the PS4 version running really poorly, they'll find a compromise somewhere in the middle of what each system is capable of and then work from there.

I suppose it also depends when and how the decision to include PS4 was made. Do you think it was more Sony asking if a PS4 version was possible without compromising the PS5 version to much or Sony telling them to make it work. I'd probably go with the later. Sony doesn't want to ignore that 100M+ install base.

Legend

I suppose it also depends when and how the decision to include PS4 was made. Do you think it was more Sony asking if a PS4 version was possible without compromising the PS5 version to much or Sony telling them to make it work. I'd probably go with the later. Sony doesn't want to ignore that 100M+ install base.
I wouldn't know. It seems the team and Sony agree on making the PS4 version so that's good for them but there are so many variables up till the game is out. For all we know, maybe the game was always cross gen and marketing just wanted to focus on PS5. Best to discuss it without ever mentioning absolutes haha.

the-pi-guy

I kind of figured this out with Jak 2.

It's kind of weird how many game design tricks I noticed with the Jak series. That must mean they're bad tricks? :o
Like Jak 2 has special rooms that effectively worked as loading screens.
It's kind of incredible how when you figure that out, you start to see the other tricks for the same problem.

the-pi-guy

Bought my first PS5 game.
Demon's Souls on sale at Amazon for $50.

Go Up