Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

True but PS5 has sold 800k+ in the UK at this point so this first week figure is hardly supply limited.
Digital would have to be at least 67% of sales for this to turn into a good result, its possible but unlikely.
i dunno, Pi just said it had low shipments and sold out everywhere and since i like that narrative i'm going to believe it until it becomes true.   i mean,.. i didn't look at all but i didn't find any retailer selling it so that's pretty strong evidence that it can't be purchased physically anywhere...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

i dunno, Pi just said it had low shipments and sold out everywhere and since i like that narrative i'm going to believe it until it becomes true.   i mean,.. i didn't look at all but i didn't find any retailer selling it so that's pretty strong evidence that it can't be purchased physically anywhere...
It did sell out in many places but it wasn't super super hard to find. Amazon UK sold out and I saw reports of supermarkets not having it, but it was still available on GAME and other places.

I think it does indicate that Sony didn't expect it to do much better than that though, so its hard to judge this performance.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Switch is gonna smash the Nintendo record.

Xevross

Switch in the last year is just completely bonkers, and still a bit lower than the DS peak in terms of unit sales. That must have been a sight to behold.

First party software and profit driving though the Switch is unmatched in video game history.

Dr. Pezus

Switch in the last year is just completely bonkers, and still a bit lower than the DS peak in terms of unit sales. That must have been a sight to behold.

First party software and profit driving though the Switch is unmatched in video game history.
It was unbelievable lol

the-pi-guy

That must have been a sight to behold.
It certainly was.  

- man with 2 DS's.

Legend

It certainly was.  

- man with 2 DS's.
I kept my launch DS. DSi was an abomination.  8)

BananaKing

Another massive split for a game on PS compared to xbox. Lets add it to the list. If this continues we can probably start attributing this to gamepass possibly

Xevross

May 10, 2021, 01:53 PM Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:57 PM by Xevross
Another massive split for a game on PS compared to xbox. Lets add it to the list. If this continues we can probably start attributing this to gamepass possibly
Lol yeah, it definitely seems like its coming true. For context:

Resident Evil: Village is the third biggest PS5 launch so far | UK Boxed Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

RE8 physical (~52k debut) platform splits:

49% PS5 (~26k)
31% PS4 (~16k)
20% XB (~10k)

PS5 is a software beast already, this is why people talking about install bases on games launching on PS5 suffering for it are just talking bollocks. PS5 owners are the most engaged group of gamers out there right now and are spending a lot of money.

Xevross

Also poor Returnal dropping 84% in its second week after an already bad debut. Sony have killed this game with its price tag.

RE8, a much bigger and established franchise (obviously) is out a week later and easily found £20 cheaper than Returnal when hunting for their best prices. No wonder Returnal is doing badly.

the-pi-guy

May 10, 2021, 02:11 PM Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:13 PM by the-pi-guy
RE8, a much bigger and established franchise (obviously) is out a week later and easily found £20 cheaper than Returnal when hunting for their best prices. No wonder Returnal is doing badly.
I'm now apparently so used to the thought of PS5 games being $70, that I actually got excited when I saw Resident Evil for $60.

Wow

Maybe Sony will do a reversal on this.

BananaKing

Sony need to do a reversal on the price, and need to understand that the failures of these games isn't due to lack of demand. But sonys pricing method.

Miles morales wasn't 70. Demons souls was. Look at the difference in sales. Demons souls was a highly anticipated game, from a series that sells well. But it underperformed compared to expectations. Now retournal is doing bad numbers. Despite scoring really well.

Bluepoint and house marque are excellent devs. I hope Sony don't stop working with them because the performance of these games.

Also, sony can't keep up with PS5 demand, you can't blame these games for failing when not everyone who wants these games can't get them because they can't get a PS5

kitler53

Lol yeah, it definitely seems like its coming true. For context:

Resident Evil: Village is the third biggest PS5 launch so far | UK Boxed Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

RE8 physical (~52k debut) platform splits:

49% PS5 (~26k)
31% PS4 (~16k)
20% XB (~10k)

PS5 is a software beast already, this is why people talking about install bases on games launching on PS5 suffering for it are just talking bollocks. PS5 owners are the most engaged group of gamers out there right now and are spending a lot of money.
that 10k on xb is: xbox one and xbox series s and xbox series x.

wow.   if i were a third party like SE i'd start using these terrible statistics to my advantage:

"data shows that your customers won't play our game unless it comes to gamepass.   we required 500 million to put our game on gamepass day-1 to achieve our revenue goal.  failure to provide this sum will lead our game to becoming a playstation exclusive."
~ all major third parties.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

that 10k on xb is: xbox one and xbox series s and xbox series x.

wow.   if i were a third party like SE i'd start using these terrible statistics to my advantage:
Well, not Series S because that's digital only, but yes.

Its not like RE is a big playstation franchise either. The franchise's physical debuts in the UK peaked with 200k for RE5, and that was 55% on 360.

Xbox owners lean digital more (per Zhuge) and Series S has sold a fair bit more than PS5 digital so far, so it could be less one-sided than it looks. Lets say xbox is 2/3 digital and PS is a 50/50 split, that would be 84k vs 30k total sales or 74/26. That's probably closer, I'd say its 70/30 ish with digital included. Obviously still bad for xbox.

Go Up