Project Morpheus at E3

Started by Legend, Jun 11, 2014, 02:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Jun 11, 2014, 02:31 AM Last Edit: Jun 11, 2014, 03:06 AM by Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

Can't wait to see what else comes out for this thing. Super excited for it.

ethomaz

ethomaz

Jun 11, 2014, 07:55 PM Last Edit: Jun 11, 2014, 08:02 PM by ethomaz
This deserves to be shared... I'm glad the guy did that.

Quote from: Marion Cobretti
Got to try Morpheus once, and Oculus 3 times, here are some fairly detailed impressions.

I'm sure you guys have already read about these demos, so I wanted to talk about the things that really stood out to me.

Ok, so Morpheus…

I tried out the Castle demo. Of all the VR stuff I tried out, this was by far the best. Although that's really due to the nature of the demo, it wasn't necessarily better than anything else on a technical level, but it gave me by far the most immersive experience.

Just a quick note, you have a move controller in each hand, and the triggers make your hands in the demo clench up and make a fist.

Initially, when the put the headset on, you notice there's some tunnel vision going on, but after about 20 seconds, your eyes kinda just lock in, and it just CLICKS so hard. Suddenly, it feels natural. Factor in some quality headphones, and there really is a strong sense of… How do I put this… I guess presence. You really do feel as if you're inhabiting this courtyard environment you're in, even if the graphics are pretty meh.

Honestly, the moment it all clicks, it really feels whimsical and incredible. It's just quite a memorable first time experience to say the least. I say this as a 30 year old.

Ok, so, I start looking around, and low and behold, this shame totally checks out. I look to my right, I look above me, I look in front of me again, and kinda just take it all in. It's so nuts. Then I very quickly do a 180 to see if there's anything behind me, and boom, there is. Mind blown. The level of immersion if just bonkers.

I then turn back around, and look to my left, and there's a sword rack just chilling there. I reach over, and just to see if it works, I slowly twist my wrist so that my thumb is essentially pointing down, and I grab the sword, and slowly twist my wrist back to point the sword right side up.

At this point I'm thinking this is pretty insane. I'm slowly moving the sword around, not really swinging it, but kinda just swinging it around elegantly like a wand, or a maestro.

I then decide to see if it's possible to hand the sword over to my left hand. I try it, and it works. Suddenly, I feel something that I genuinely haven't felt since I was 12 and played Mario 64 for the first time. Everything about this moment felt absolutely revolutionary.

I then start to beat on this dummy in front of me, and all the motions I'm trying for the most part are working pretty well. Jabbing motions, hooks, you name it, it works. Within a few seconds, I lost interest in beating on this thing, and wanna just get back to the experience of controlling myself within this environment.

So I take a step forward, and viola, I'm taking a step forward. Side step, step back, walk in tiny circles while moving my head around, it all works, and feels pretty dang natural. At this point I could care less about fighting, and am too entranced but the ability to just exist in this virtual environment. I look around, I duck, I turn around and just start walking away, at which point I crashed into a real life wall, but it didn't matter, all of it was just so dang immersive. I crashed into the wall a couple more times just because the sensation of walking felt SO INCREDIBLE. I can't imagine how insane it's gonna feel to actually run. Holy shame. Such an exciting thought.

Any ways, suddenly, I'm holding a mace, and I'm just swinging it around, everything again, just feeling pretty natural when all is said and done. Then I'm magically holding a crossbow and just shooting around without any trouble. Having perfect aim like in RE4 Wii.

Then the massive dragon drops, which would've been awesome if it looked cool and the graphics didn't suck, but the scale was still great, and just gave a good idea of what it would feel like to stand next to some giant creature.

Demo then ends. A really special experience to say the least.

I then rush over to Oculus cause at that point, nothing stops this train.

The Oculus demos, while still very much awesome, are nowhere near as immersive due to fact that you're sitting, and using an xbox controller.

Valkyrie
So I get to check out the Valkyrie demo, and it's pretty holy shame. You're just flying around in a space ship, and I guess you're supposed to hunt someone down and shoot at them, but I was just having more fun flying around in space.

So I basically just put myself on a trajectory that would have me going in circles around earth, while upside down. So because the cockpit was all glass, while I was flying in circles, I could look straight up, and see the earth in all its glory directly above me, and when I'd look straight, I would just see a bunch of asteroids and just ultimate outer space. The 3D and sense of scale was really fantastic. I then realized that like skydiving, I was really only looking up the whole time, so then I realize I should look down, holy shame, my body is in all out spacesuit and there's full force instruments all around me, it was sooo cool. I then look to my left, my right, and again, the magical what's behind me, and again, it all checks out. VERY VERY immersive. I screamed out "shame!" so many times the Oculus people had to tell me to stop.

Super Hot
Afterwords, I got to check out Super Hot. This one was neat for all kinds of reasons that showed so much potential. This demo is essentially all about bullet time. You're walking down a hallway while 3 men shoot at you. When you stop walking, the bullet time essentially starts. While in bullet time, it's so rad, cause you're able to see in every direction, and see the trajectory of the bullets that are coming at your, or have already passed by you. Basically, it does a fantastic job at giving you that sense of being in the Matrix, or the Quicksilver scene in DOFP. Lots of fun to experience.

Also, while I was in this demo, there was a statue on display, that made the idea of Virtual Museums such a blatant no brainer.

Alien
Man, ok, basically, this one was a little too rad. Imagine you're basically inside a very well lit Ridley Scott movie, but with crappier art design. Still really moody and just has awesome atmosphere. I can't imagine how exhilarating a game like Doom could be in VR. Wandering around trying to avoid the Alien, all while being in this super creepy dog space ship. was just soooo much fun.

In conclusion, I really feel that VR is the most impressive tech we've gotten since the internet. Feels like it's gonna have even more impact on the world than smartphones. Just my hunch. But the sheer amount of potential is just mind shattering staggering.

On another note, and I hope I don't come off as a fanboy when saying this, but it kinda saddens me that it isn't Mario ushering in all this amazing VR goodness. We desperately need some Rez, OutRun 2, and some MGS VR Missions.

In any case, I'm very excited for the future. Thanks for reading.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835814

Dr. Pezus

Matrix in VR would be incredible...

ethomaz

Matrix in VR would be incredible...

We will be all Raidens in the VR missions.

I will love love to crash into the walls... I need that... just to think we can walk inside the demo is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

Mmm_fish_tacos

This makes me giddy.

http://gizmodo.com/project-morpheus-hands-on-the-virtual-future-is-very-1588934244

So what's the cumulative effect? Playing these games raises your pulse in a way that playing on a flat screen (even a very big one) just doesn't. By altering your sense of reality, Morpheus successfully manages to trigger some of your fight or flight reflexes. Street Luge definitely caused my adrenaline to spike, and Eve Valkyrie gave me that panicked, "I'm being chased!" feeling. Naturally, you know it's just a game, so you don't fully freak out or, but because it feels so much more real, you can't help but giggle at your body's involuntary responses. It's a hoot.

BananaKing

man all these positive VR impressions. i cant wait to try it myself. i am also hyped for that eve valkirne game. just perfect for VR IMO.

also, its interesting to see people having their minds blown with demo's that dont really have all that good graphics, i guess being blown away doesnt need a game that looks as good as driveclub or the order.

Dr. Pezus

Yeah, just imagine when they start showing games with real graphics for it.

Also, I think waking up in a PM game (with the headset on) would be incredibly confusing, yet awesome at the same time. It would probably take a few seconds for you to realize what's happening (if someone else put the headset on you while you slept)