PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Some PS5s have a manufactured date on the bottom for the vertical position.

Mine was made in October.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

New stability update fixes the disappearing disc games issue.

kitler53

phil is such a bag.   

most industry have fans and every industry wants them.  he's just sour grapes that nintendo and sony have more fans.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

phil is such a bag.  

most industry have fans and every industry wants them.  he's just sour grapes that nintendo and sony have more fans.
Yes he only says this because it benefits him and their Xbox pass

the-pi-guy

Nov 30, 2020, 06:15 PM Last Edit: Nov 30, 2020, 07:02 PM by Legend
The presentation opens by saying "everyone knows single player is dying," with a list of the top-selling PlayStation 4 video games that seems to crib this sales list, showing games like Grand Theft Auto V and Black Ops 3 dominating sales because of their multiplayer modes.

In the next slide, however, Sony explained that, in reality, its internal tracking data shows that "single player is thriving," and PlayStation users are regularly spending more time playing offline than online.
"In a busy world, that time [to play]" might not come for a while," reads another slide next to a photo of someone hiking through the mountains, holding a map. "When they finally do find a spare hour, they've forgotten where they were, and what they were doing. Then what?"

All of this, according to Sony, creates "friction," while their proposed system, dubbed the Universal Data System, can help solve.

"We can change 'should I start playing' to 'which part should I start playing?'" reads a slide next to a screen shot from Uncharted. "The options are there. The choices are clear. The game is calling. Pick up that controller. It's time to play.
Sony internal documents explain Activities

Legend

kitler53

Nov 30, 2020, 07:46 PM Last Edit: Nov 30, 2020, 07:49 PM by kitler53
Sony internal documents explain Activities
i don't have a ps5 so i can't say whether or not "activities" resolves these issues in any way but I can really relate to these points:

• "No idea how long I might need, don't play unless I have 2+ free hours"

This point is also why i will watch 3 hours of a tv show in one sitting but frequently tell my wife i don't want to watch a movie because it will take too long.  It really sucks to start (but not finish) a movie and 2.5 hours is a pretty big commitment.   2.5 hours of a 23 minute sitcom is a series of small commitments and easier to say yes too.   so by a similar argument i can find myself playing hours upon hours of rocket league (~10 minutes per match) but feel very reluctant to play the next chapter of uncharted or TLoU. 

i will add this though.  last gen's "quick resume" feature made these games waaaay more playable then during the ps360 gen.  being to put down the game literally anywhere and pick it up tomorrow in the exact same spot really helps. 

• "Forgot what I was doing in this game last time, hard to get back in"

This point is especially bad for games that have a large amount of freedom and part of why i prefer a more linear game.   freedom can be fun but if you forgot what you were doing it can also feel aimless and frustrating.   i also find games with "non-standard" control schemes problematic.  when a game spends a lot of the early part of a game on a "tutorial" it can be pretty hard to jump into the middle of a game after a long break.  all those things it spent time teaching you (like so-and-so symbol requires so-and-so equipment to interact) is easy to forget and can make a game unplayable if you forget.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Game help is really amazing in Bugsnax, I've been completely sold on the idea here and already making great use of it. Hopefully all devs put this much effort into it, if so it'll be an brilliant innovation for this gen.

the-pi-guy

(I doubt the effect is ever large).  

But theoretically, if rasterization or some other process is faster on otherwise weaker hardware, the weaker hardware can spend more time on other parts of the rendering process.  

This affect is massively dependent on how much time it spends on each phase, as well as how much pipelining is actually being done.  

I have had a class that has dealt with this in the general CPU context, but I don't know if I've ever really thought about it in a graphics context.

Potentially another reason why the TF measurement is useless on its own.  

the-pi-guy

In 3 days we will be about 1% done with this gen.
Rough math: 7*12=84 months per gen.  And we are almost to a month.

Dr. Pezus

In 3 days we will be about 1% done with this gen.
Rough math: 7*12=84 months per gen.  And we are almost to a month.
Can't wait for ps6

Dr. Pezus

Some interesting stuff there. Project athia appears to be timed exclusive for at least 2 years

the-pi-guy

Insomniac put out a 1080p RT 60 fps mode for Miles.

Dr. Pezus

Go Up