Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

UK BF digital charts: Digital Black Friday sales jump almost 50% over 2019 l UK Download Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Digital downloads on BF week up 50% YoY, physical down 20% YoY. Overall down 1.5% YoY. So physical still dominates BF sales but digital is catching up quick. Here's the digital top 10 for the week:

Xevross

COD is more successful than ever.

the-pi-guy

Some people are arguing that Ring Fit is proof that there is an untapped home console market in Japanese.

I think it's problematic to try to get useful demographic trends from the Switch.  

To give some examples:

If I'm someone who spends most of my freetime on the bus in my commute to work. I might buy a portable console.  I don't spend enough time at home to ever justify buying something that is only a home console, but I could still justify buying a home game or two that is playable on my primarily portable console.  

And similarly I might buy the Switch to just play on the go.  

kitler53

i feel like switch was created specifically for japan's outlook on gaming.   mobile first, home sometimes.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

DerNebel

Some people are arguing that Ring Fit is proof that there is an untapped home console market in Japanese.

I think it's problematic to try to get useful demographic trends from the Switch.  

To give some examples:

If I'm someone who spends most of my freetime on the bus in my commute to work. I might buy a portable console.  I don't spend enough time at home to ever justify buying something that is only a home console, but I could still justify buying a home game or two that is playable on my primarily portable console.  

And similarly I might buy the Switch to just play on the go.  
Arguing with the delusional Nintendo fanboy/Media Create crowd about Japan is about as worthwile as arguing with a wall. It all just boils down to "Sony bad and Nintendo good and because the japanese are super smart uber geniuses, they are able to see that better than those dirty westerners".

Wii Fit sold over 3 million copies in Japan and the Wii still topped out below 13 million. Or is that supposed to be a totally different market than RingFit adventure?

Legend

I kinda want ringfit. Have never cared about it but a family member wants a switch just for it.

And cod is huge. I'm still salty that infinite warfare was its low point. The vr demo was amazing and I'd love if cod went back to space.

Xevross

PS5 had a few micro restocks on Amazon UK yesterday, kinda weird. Here's the updated rankings:

Yearly:

#13 PS5 (-)
#49 XSX (+1)
#67 DualSense (-)

December:

#7 XSX (+4)
#10 XSS (+5)
#15 XS controller white (-)
#16 PS5 (+1)
#18 PS5d (+9)
#47 XS controller black (+20)

Xevross

Not a big debut, lower than Hyrule Warriors' debut a couple weeks ago. However, PS5 version already the number one for the first big cross-gen mutliplat post release. Very interesting. PS4+xbox versions only 35% combined isn't what I would have expected.

Xevross

Update on physical sales of the 'big three' in the UK, not sure how long I'll keep this up but here's another week

Spidey MM

Week 1 84k
Week 2 45k (-46%) [129k LTD]
Week 3 29k (-36%) [158k LTD]
Week 4 ~33k (~+15%) [191k LTD]

AC Valhalla

Week 1 150k
Week 2 44k (-70%) [194k LTD]
Week 3 32k (-28%) [226k LTD]
Week 4 36k (+14%) [252k LTD]

COD BOCW

Week 1 125k
Week 2 91k (-27%) [216k LTD]
Week 3 47k (-48%) [263k LTD]
Week 4 46k (-3%)   [309k LTD]

Immortals debut was about 15k. Animal Crossing sales are also rapidly climbing for the holiday shopping season, it was up 20% this week to ~43k.

Xevross

PS5 got another smaller restock on amazon UK yesterday, here's the rankings now (change since last update)

Yearly:

#13 PS5 (-)
#49 XSX (-)
#57 DualSense (-10)

December:

#10 PS5 (-6)
#11 XSX (+4)
#12 XS controller white (-3)
#14 XSS (+4)
#24 DualSense (new)
#28 PS5d (+10)
#72 XS controller black (+25)

Xbox also just got the first restock since launch on amazon US, I'll update that tomorrow.

Xevross

Also here's some interesting video game sales shiz:

Diablo 3 finally toppled, Shadowlands is huge!

kitler53

Also here's some interesting video game sales shiz:

Diablo 3 finally toppled, Shadowlands is hugely front loaded!
fixed.

with a game like WoW it will basically stop selling 10 days after release.  you basically can't play the game if you aren't up-to-date on releases.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

Arguing with the delusional Nintendo fanboy/Media Create crowd about Japan is about as worthwile as arguing with a wall. It all just boils down to "Sony bad and Nintendo good and because the japanese are super smart uber geniuses, they are able to see that better than those dirty westerners".

Wii Fit sold over 3 million copies in Japan and the Wii still topped out below 13 million. Or is that supposed to be a totally different market than RingFit adventure?
Pretty much this.  The home console market in Japan is dead.  If the Switch was a dedicated console, it would have sold as bad as the Wii U.  

Xevross

fixed.

with a game like WoW it will basically stop selling 10 days after release.  you basically can't play the game if you aren't up-to-date on releases.
So beating the launch of every other PC game ever released and every other WoW expansion isn't impressive?

It being the biggest WoW expansion by a decent chunk is the big news, they'll all be similarly frontloaded.

Xevross

Control sold 2M total copies as of last month. Not gonna lie, I assumed it would be way higher.

Go Up