PlayStation Community Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

i am mostly opinionless about both jim ryan and shawn layden.  ...at least as people.  i haven't seen them enough or if i have seen them their performances have been mostly unmemorable.

that said, that quote from shawn layden emboddies what i have to date loved about playstation and in more recent times come to criticize.  i have nothing bad to say about playstation studio's big projects like TLoU, Uncharted, GoW, GoT, and various others.   i love these titles and the improvement in sony's AAA games has been immense this last generations.  

...but i really miss the small pet projects.  echochrome.  fat princess.  puppeteer.  (the original) demon's souls.  flower and journey.  the witness.  resogun.  pixal junk shooter.  these kinds of low budget, experimental projects seem to have been pushed aside as of late to focus on high budget AAA.  

i feel like these smaller more niche but also more varied experience really help gaming feel fresh and worth coming back to.  if i only had 1 genre of games to play then i'd burn out and stop gaming (at least for a while) for focus on something else.   sony's AAA are great but they are also a bit samey at least as far as genre is concerned.  3rd person open world can describe pretty much all of sony's AAA first party on ps4.   i can't play them back-to-back-to-back-to-back without getting bored no matter how good they are.

i mean, hades is competing against TLoU2 for GoTY in most places...

From various comments from Shawn Layden and Jim Ryan, I get the impression that Shawn Layden would have pushed more for smaller fun titles and Jim Ryan wants AAAA titles.  

kitler53

From various comments from Shawn Layden and Jim Ryan, I get the impression that Shawn Layden would have pushed more for smaller fun titles and Jim Ryan wants AAAA titles.  
i mean, i can see that in the results of playstation studio's games these days.   

i am glad they kicked this gen off with a smidge of "AA" titles.   i've enjoyed sackboy's big adventure.   some marketing focus on bugsnax too.  and it's not like they've completely abandoned non-AAA games.   concrete genie wasn't that long ago.   ...but i think they need a bit more of a commitment here.  i really they'd get their money's worth with breaking apart 1 AAA studio's worth of investment into 10 AA studios and having an addition 5 games to ship every year.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

I played through 3-4 hours of Bugsnax today. Its great, I'm loving it.

kitler53

Yeah I honestly had no idea that armor set was new, I just could tell it was the best set for me when I found it. Keeping light to dodge better while still having good protection is one main tip I read from people before I started playing, and that armor set seemed perfect for that.
not to bring this thread back to demon's souls but i just read this article and it made me smile soo much.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4ad38w/a-demons-souls-boss-is-causing-people-to-unplug-their-internet-on-ps5

From the second i read the article title i knew exactly what i'd be reading about.  the old monk.  the scrapping spear.  the soul sucker.  it was all there and it gave me a gloriously huge smile.  xD

Xevross

Man, Bugsnax is real frickin crazy. What a wild ending to the story.

Great game

Legend

Man, Bugsnax is real frickin crazy. What a wild ending to the story.

Great game
Should I really bother with it?

Felt like just a joke ala octodad.

Xevross

Should I really bother with it?

Felt like just a joke ala octodad.
Why not? Its not that long, you'll know after just an hour or two if you don't like it and then you can just google the ending if you're curious. Its not a massively in-depth story, most of the game is an ongoing investigation with teases and snippets and the ending is basically where the entire story is revealed to you.

Its definitely jokey, but its not a joke game like Octodad kind of was.

darkknightkryta

i mean, i can see that in the results of playstation studio's games these days.  

i am glad they kicked this gen off with a smidge of "AA" titles.   i've enjoyed sackboy's big adventure.   some marketing focus on bugsnax too.  and it's not like they've completely abandoned non-AAA games.   concrete genie wasn't that long ago.   ...but i think they need a bit more of a commitment here.  i really they'd get their money's worth with breaking apart 1 AAA studio's worth of investment into 10 AA studios and having an addition 5 games to ship every year.
Capcom actually spent a near decade going from AAA to AA back to AAA development.  That era of AA games nearly bankrupted them.  I think the "Less is more" applies to games more than other media.  You can try making money by volume (Multiple AA games per year), but people only have so much time they can invest in a game.  So you're better off staggering games.  I mean, how often do games just die in November because they're competing against other massive IPs?  A publisher is better off moving games into off times when it releases nearly by itself.  I also think this is partly why Sony's titles tend to do extremely well.  They normally release games in the spring/late spring.  That's when most publishers tend to not release anything.

kitler53

Capcom actually spent a near decade going from AAA to AA back to AAA development.  That era of AA games nearly bankrupted them.  I think the "Less is more" applies to games more than other media.  You can try making money by volume (Multiple AA games per year), but people only have so much time they can invest in a game.  So you're better off staggering games.  I mean, how often do games just die in November because they're competing against other massive IPs?  A publisher is better off moving games into off times when it releases nearly by itself.  I also think this is partly why Sony's titles tend to do extremely well.  They normally release games in the spring/late spring.  That's when most publishers tend to not release anything.
When I say AA i really mean an indie level of commitment,.. studios that are only ~30 people.   hades came from supergiantgames which according to my internet search has 20,.. but also made a GotY contender.  

and sure,.. it's not likely to be the generator of massive profits but it is also not likely to be the generator of massive losses.   but for sony (a platform holder) it is important to try and get a variety of games on their platform to attract a variety of consumers.   personally the #1 reason i'll probably get a switch next year is sony has basically 0 kid appropriate titles outside of lego which i'm 1 game away from finishing the entire library of games in the last year.  i tried playing sackboy's big adventure with him but midway though the second world things were just too hard for him.

puzzle games.  2D platformers.  shumps. rouge-likes.  rhythm.  medriodvania.   while not wildly popular they have an audience and if sony has more of them than ms or nintendo you'll draw in that audience to your platform instead of the competitor.   and occasionally you'll get a break out hit like hades or journey.   but the point isn't entirely profit,.. it's bring diversity and consistency of releases to the platform in an industry that is collapsing into just a few high profile releases a year.

Xevross

Dec 11, 2020, 10:53 PM Last Edit: Dec 11, 2020, 11:00 PM by Xevross

PS uploaded a separate longer trailer to that shown in TGAs. This one doesn't have the PT bait at the start, they knew what they were doing with that.

Game looks good. Not £70 good. Game is gonna bomb hard if it launches at that price.

kitler53

PS uploaded a separate longer trailer to that shown in TGAs. This one doesn't have the PT bait at the start, they knew what they were doing with that.

Game looks good. Not £70 good. Game is gonna bomb hard if it launches at that price.
looks pretty good to me.  there is such a thirst for games that I think it will do fine.  ..but do you have a particular treason you think it will flop?

Xevross

looks pretty good to me.  there is such a thirst for games that I think it will do fine.  ..but do you have a particular treason you think it will flop?

It's price is ridiculous. Only the biggest of big games will take no hit from being £70/€80. In the US the price hike isn't so much but I still think this is a tough sell as a full priced game. It's a new IP from a not well known studio and it's not the kind of game to gather mainstream appeal anyway. I can't see many people taking the jump at full price. Perhaps if it reviews amazingly it will do more okay.

kitler53

It's price is ridiculous. Only the biggest of big games will take no hit from being £70/€80. In the US the price hike isn't so much but I still think this is a tough sell as a full priced game. It's a new IP from a not well known studio and it's not the kind of game to gather mainstream appeal anyway. I can't see many people taking the jump at full price. Perhaps if it reviews amazingly it will do more okay.
we'll I almost never pay full price for anything.  but I like the looks of the gameplay.  it's like they grafted resogun onto a third person shooter.  the arcadey feel makes it unique in and otherwise monotone field of games.  

$20 max from me but i expect I'll be buying. 

JoyFreak

I still have to get a PS5 console. What does everyone else make of the PS5?

the-pi-guy

I still have to get a PS5 console. What does everyone else make of the PS5?
It's great. There are some notable bugs with the software. I haven't had too many issues. Overall the hardware is great, software will get fixed and games look like they'll be insane.

Go Up