How do you feel about character deaths?

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 01, 2019, 02:38 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Aug 15, 2019, 12:01 PM Last Edit: Aug 15, 2019, 12:03 PM by Xevross
What Legend said. Usually they're not done great but the first half of GoT is an excellent example of doing character deaths well. They're all meaningful and have a big impact on the world and story, and they also happen as a result of character flaws and mistakes meaning they're perfectly grounded in the world. They make for huge shocking moments which feel totally earned and leave big lasting consequences on the world and the characters going forward.

I guess the second half of GoT provides lots of examples of how not to do character deaths, with consequences being non-existent or quickly swept under the rug and meaningful buildup also being non-existent for most.

About the marvel ones

Spoiler for Hidden:
The snapped thing was great imo. Sure they didn&#39;t stay dead but it made for a shocking cliffhanger and it had plenty of consequences. If it wasn&#39;t for the snap we wouldn&#39;t have lost Iron Man, Black Widow and Cap from the world. We&#39;ve already seen in Spidey FFH that this has consequences for characters and the world. Losing Loki was big for Thor&#39;s character and I hope we see more of that in Thor 4. Gamora is a huge death with big consequences for Quill and the Guardians!<br><br>Just because we haven&#39;t seen all the consequences yet doesn&#39;t mean there aren&#39;t any. And I&#39;d argue Endgame and Spidey FFH have done a great job so far of showing the consequences of everything that happened. One I&#39;d agree on is Black Widow, her death was kind of meaningless in the end and people moved on quickly, that&#39;s my biggest gripe with Endgame.