What do you do for a living/career?

Started by Shinobi-san, Aug 19, 2014, 06:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Shinobi-san

Aug 19, 2014, 06:06 PM Last Edit: Aug 19, 2014, 06:10 PM by Shinobi-san
So i guess its all in the title...

What do you guys do for a living?

Are you studying? Working? Sitting at home doing nothing? :D

And yeah throw in some details if you are open to it...like what are you majoring in or what your job entails etc.

I am currently a BI developer for a small consulting company in South Africa. I initially started out doing support, admin and development for a business process modelling (BPM) tool called ARIS. I basically did everything that was needed in that environment...from maintaining the servers, to programming scripts to assisting and advising users on their solutions and how to use the tool. It was actually quite interesting.

Once that environment was under control and wasn't taking up all my time, my boss asked me to start working on web development. Funnily enough this is what i was initially hired for. However, i kinda sucked at programming and i had little knowledge of web development and in general how client server software works and interacts (i was lazy at uni :P ). With a lot of late nights and help from a genius colleague (he has over 1k points on Stackoverflow!) i managed to get better. I got to become pretty comfortable with PHP, javascript, jquery, html, css and in general how CMS's work.

Over the next few months, i was working on this and started to really enjoy it. My boss then got another offer from a client for a BI consultant position as an OLAP developer. This is basically data cubes...its another form of storing data as oppose to the traditional relational databases that we all know - using tables. He gave me a choice, either stay on as a web developer or move over to the client as a BI consultant working on cubes. I had very limited knowledge on cube technology but i felt a BI corporate environment was probably a better fit for my personality and something that i could really excel at, where i would most likely have a structured set of tasks to do, as oppose to web development when you are constantly struggling and trying to figure out problems  (lol that's me at least i know others find it much easier).

So i made the change. I've been involved in various BI projects over the last two years now. I've also carried out multiple roles within BI as well...report developer, cube developer, solution architect etc. Basically i know the SQL Server stack of technology very well!

I've become known to be a jack of all trades because I've been involved in all these different facets of IT, i kinda like that because im the only one of my kind amongst my peers and it gives me a distinct advantage in the market as a professional.

Similar to this forum, our company is also quite small and fairly young. I've been with them for almost 3 years now, i joined straight out of uni, so far ive managed to take up a leadership position in the company where i play a role in steering the direction of the company and growing young talent. Its pretty funny though, since im only 24 and i often need to mentor people who are significantly older than me (and who get paid more than me bastards!) :D

Well that's me with regards to my career! Whats your story?
Vizioneck STILL not banned at my workplace \O/

Legend

Throughout my childhood and teenage years I always wanted to be a mechanical engineer. When I was younger I would just make designs for the fun of it but in high school I started making and selling custom rubik's cubes.
http://images2.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_631393_491289_1342132601.jpg

These were modeled with solidworks and then 3D printed. I also did a fair amount of mold design when starting out, but believe it or not making the pieces from molds actually costs more than high quality 3D printing them in the Netherlands.

During this time I mostly self taught myself programing and game development, but I always thought of it as a hobby.

I went to college for mechanical engineering. 99% of the stuff I had already been doing on my own for years, so to spice up my second semester I took a couple programing classes. These really ignited my passion for video games and all things with code. Also around this time the PS4 was announced, and they had an indie game center stage. It made me realize indie game development was a valid career path.

So for that second semester all of my free time was spent designing games and mastering the tools of the trade. During this time I "invented" a completely new game genre and created the core concepts for four games utilizing it. Once I got to this point I was super super invested and stopped posting on vgchartz cold turkey. Every single second I could I was working. When summer came I really started making progress.

But then around the middle of July, I realized it'd still be years before my first game would release. So at that time I decided to make a "one month" game. This would be made available for free on my site, and just used to get a game under my studio's belt.

Well that "one month" game was VizionEck  :o

After just a few weeks of working on it I realized (well believed. Here's hoping) I caught lightning in a bottle with the game's concept. So the game went back into pre-production and I registered with Sony as a developer.

So now 363 days later I'm still working every minute I can on that "one month" game, either with direct development or other tasks like marketing and this forum.

Shinobi-san

--snip--

I went to college for mechanical engineering. 99% of the stuff I had already been doing on my own for years, so to spice up my second semester I took a couple programing classes. These really ignited my passion for video games and all things with code. Also around this time the PS4 was announced, and they had an indie game center stage. It made me realize indie game development was a valid career path.

So for that second semester all of my free time was spent designing games and mastering the tools of the trade. During this time I "invented" a completely new game genre and created the core concepts for four games utilizing it. Once I got to this point I was super super invested and stopped posting on vgchartz cold turkey. Every single second I could I was working. When summer came I really started making progress.

--snip--

Legend, seems like you have reached a point a lot of people try and get to but either never do or take forever to, and that is finding your passion.

Even though I've achieved such a lot in my short career (awards, recognition etc.) and naturally im relatively driven to be better/successful..i dont feel like ive reached that point of finding my passion. And sometimes i am scared that i never will. The only thing i can do i guess is to keep on keeping on.

It also becomes tricky because a lot of people tell me that because im good at what i do that that's how i know im "meant" to do it. I dont agree with that. But yeah I've never really had the sought of passion and drive you have described here...working every second on something without being told to do so and enjoying every second of it :D
Vizioneck STILL not banned at my workplace \O/

BananaKing

Xevross

im an animator.

that was....deep man. I might need a moment

u4gReservoirDogs

I work in a shop specialized in (mostly tropical) fresh-water fishes.
I'm always willing to endure humiliation on behalf of my characters. - Ben Stiller

BananaKing

grow a pair you sensitive basket.

darkknightkryta

I'm a teacher who stocks fruit.

the-pi-guy

I'm currently working at Walmart. 

In a few weeks, I will be starting my first semester at a University and will eventually (hopefully) get a degree in Computer Science.  I am mucking around with the idea of a few others in addition, but we'll see. 

Legend

This one is going to need an explanation. What?

the-pi-guy

Certified teacher who works at a grocery store?

Dr. Pezus

That's what she said

7H3

grow a pair you sensitive basket.

where is that favorite user thread... i think i've changed my mind
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

7H3

Currently I'm employed part time doing "assisted sales" I help market products at various locations like best buy / game stop / walmart... I train employees at that location on the product as well as trying to push sales through to customers. I received my BS in CS (game development) last year. I'm currently looking for more full time employment and being lazy about working on my portfolio. I've held many jobs over the years and am able to quickly excel at any job I've had so far. I taught myself calculus in HS as well as some korean, but have forgotten most of both. I used to hop trains and hitch hike. I was what is a called a "gutter punk" for a few years after High School. At some point I became an intern for a church where I managed 2 different (at different times) stores as well as lead small church group meetings. I also play guitar a little bit.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

nnodley

Well right now I'm not doing jack shame and am watching House M.D. on netflix.  5 days from now I start my 3rd year in the Media Arts and Science program at IUPUI in indianapolis, indiana.  I'm focusing on 3D environment art for games.  I should have done more to boost my skills this summer, but I didn't and I'm hating myself for that.  Good thing is I've realized that if I really want to get a job at a big time studio I have to work my freaking dog off to do it. Before I was just like, eh I have 3-4 years till I graduate so I'm good.  Now I have 2 years left and going by quick and it's getting real.  I'm willing to wait and work on my portfolio/skill as long as it takes to get a job.  And start getting connections.  Got one that works at Blizzard and my cousin has worked at Blur on Halo 2 anniversary for The Master Chief collection.

Other than that I don't do anything.  Just focusing on school!!

Go Up