I am scared of getting a real job

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 30, 2019, 06:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I'm nervous about being a programmer.

I really want to be a game developer, but I'm worried about the responsibilities.

Is my work going to be high enough quality, am I going to be able to work fast enough are the two big worries I have.

Xevross

Same here bro.

BananaKing

Lol dude. Don't worry, seriously. You will quickly realized how a lot of people you work with don't do jack shame or are idiots, yet still work.

And you're a junior, not much will be expected from you, even if it is, you'll learn to cope.

Trust me on this, once you get into a working environment you will see how different it is from what you expected.

Dr. Pezus

What's a real job, really? As long as you do your thing there's nothing to worry about. Just remember there's always a learning curve, just like with new games.

kitler53

Lol dude. Don't worry, seriously. You will quickly realized how a lot of people you work with don't do jack shame or are idiots, yet still work.

And you're a junior, not much will be expected from you, even if it is, you'll learn to cope.

Trust me on this, once you get into a working environment you will see how different it is from what you expected.
exactly.  firing people almost never happens.  i had a colleague go to our boss's boss and go on a rant that used a ton of profane language about how "battleship" our dev team and company were.   ....still not fired.  eventually he quit but he was not fired.

even if you suck at your job the most likely consequence is a lack of career growth.   honestly, just don't be a jerk to the people you work with and you'll be fine.  communication and collaboration skills will do far more to advance your career than technical skills.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

exactly.  firing people almost never happens.  i had a colleague go to our boss's boss and go on a rant that used a ton of profane language about how "battleship" our dev team and company were.   ....still not fired.  eventually he quit but he was not fired.

even if you suck at your job the most likely consequence is a lack of career growth.   honestly, just don't be a jerk to the people you work with and you'll be fine.  communication and collaboration skills will do far more to advance your career than technical skills.
Thanks guys.  :D

Riderz1337

Don't worry, you'll soon find out majority of people don't even know what the hell they are doing which will make you feel better about yourself.

Just go, put your head down and do your work.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.