No game attempted the TES formula this gen

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 30, 2020, 12:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Jul 30, 2020, 09:00 PM Last Edit: Jul 30, 2020, 09:02 PM by Xevross
Oh you mean stuff like botw!

Adventure games are usually more restrictive with traditional puzzles. I don't think there is a specific genre for botw besides the super broad term action-adventure.

Eh game genres are so weird nowadays. I thought we were still just talking about big open world games. I was saying for a big open world game you get more freedom if its going for more of an adventure style game than RPG. And yes I was thinking of games like BOTW as more of an example where there's no skill trees or levels or anything to gate progress really, you just do what you want. Ghost of Tsushima recently is part way there although you unlock the map progressively. When you have a part of the map unlocked you have total freedom to do whatever you want there in whatever order.

It feels related. 

But there's been a general tendency, especially this last gen I would say for genres to get more mixed up. 

Action adventure games with more RPG features.  Stuff like that. 

There's been a lot more blending of genres, it feels like.
Yeah definitely as games get more complex they're involving a mix of elements from lots of different classic genres. Most of the time its a good thing but so often games do get dragged down by adding RPG stuff when its not needed (imo obviously).