Donald Trump to declare January 20th as National Day of Patriotic Devotion - NeoGAF

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 23, 2017, 10:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Donald Trump to declare January 20th as National Day of Patriotic Devotion - NeoGAF

A new national pride stirs the American soul and inspires
 the American heart. We are one people, united by a common
 destiny and a shared purpose.
 Freedom is the birthright of all Americans, and to preserve
 that freedom we must maintain faith in our sacred values and
 heritage.
 Our Constitution is written on parchment, but it lives in
 the hearts of the American people. There is no freedom where the
 people do not believe in it; no law where the people do not
 follow it; and no peace where the people do not pray for it.
 There are no greater people than the American citizenry,
 and as long as we believe in ourselves, and our country, there
 is nothing we cannot accomplish.
 NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United
 States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by
 the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby
 proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic
 Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to
 our country -- and to renew the duties of Government to the
 people.
 IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
 twentieth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand
 seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of
 America the two hundred and forty-first.

To be published tomorrow. Read the unpublished PDF here.
 And in case you forgot, January 20th is the day he became president.

kitler53

what the literal fudge.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

DD_Bwest

the man wants to be a dictator

ethomaz

He blocked the free commerce pacific aliance.

Can the PS4 become pricey in US like in Brasil???

Legend

Jan 23, 2017, 11:04 PM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 11:21 PM by Legend
I thought July 4th already had that covered.

Edt: this seems to be something standard. It's not a new holiday or anything like I assumed. Previous presidents have done the same thing.

Max King of the Wild

I'm confused how this is an issue... January 20th is the same day Obama was inaugurated... Same dame Bush was inaugurated... Same day as Clinton was inaugurated... Same day Bush was inaugurated... Same day Regan was inaugurated...

He blocked the free commerce pacific aliance.

Can the PS4 become pricey in US like in Brasil???
No.

the-pi-guy

I thought July 4th already had that covered.

Edt: this seems to be something standard. It's not a new holiday or anything like I assumed. Previous presidents have done the same thing.
Previous presidents did the same for 9/11.
Not for their presidency.  

Legend

Previous presidents did the same for 9/11.
Not for their presidency.  
Nope.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Donald Trump to declare January 20th as National Day of Patriotic Devotion

disturbing language aside, the idea itself is pretty normal Bush: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...nksgiving-2001
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 21, 2001, a National Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving and call upon the citizens of our Nation to gather together in homes and places of worship to pray alone and together and offer thanksgiving to God for all the blessings of this great and good land.

Obama: http://web.archive.org/web/201701171...ciliation-2009
NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2009, a National Day of Renewal and Reconciliation, and call upon all of our citizens to serve one another and the common purpose of remaking this Nation for our new century.

Clinton: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_6525
Now, Therefore, I, William J. Clinton, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 22, 1993, a National Day of Fellowship and Hope and call upon the citizens of this great Nation to reflect on their obligations to their fellow Americans and look forward to the challenges of the new year with a spirit of hope.

I can't find any before HW and yes, I realize Trump's has an Orwellian name and a nationalist message. My only point was that it is apparently normal for Presidents to celebrate their own inauguration this way

The past three presidents have done the exact same thing for their inaugurations.

the-pi-guy

Nope.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Donald Trump to declare January 20th as National Day of Patriotic Devotion
Obama: http://web.archive.org/web/201701171...ciliation-2009Clinton: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_6525I can't find any before HW and yes, I realize Trump's has an Orwellian name and a nationalist message. My only point was that it is apparently normal for Presidents to celebrate their own inauguration this way

The past three presidents have done the exact same thing for their inaugurations.
Ahhh some people missed mentioning that.  

Dr. Pezus

Reads like extreme nationalism/elitism.

Dr. Pezus

"There is no freedom where the
follow it; and no peace where the people do not pray for it."

No peace where the people don't pray for it? Wtf does that even mean.

"There are no greater people than the American citizenry"

Americuuh

Raven

"There is no freedom where the
follow it; and no peace where the people do not pray for it."

No peace where the people don't pray for it? Wtf does that even mean.

"There are no greater people than the American citizenry"

Americuuh
To be fair, I've dealt with more than my fair share of people from elsewhere who seem to think their shame doesn't stink and where they live is awesome compared to everywhere else. Gets a little tiresome when Mexicans or Irish show intense national pride and no one cares but an American shows some patriotism and gets called an ignorant Murican. I'm not down with Trump and his cronies but this spitting on America for believing in itself gets old.

DerNebel

To be fair, I've dealt with more than my fair share of people from elsewhere who seem to think their shame doesn't stink and where they live is awesome compared to everywhere else. Gets a little tiresome when Mexicans or Irish show intense national pride and no one cares but an American shows some patriotism and gets called an ignorant Murican. I'm not down with Trump and his cronies but this spitting on America for believing in itself gets old.
Oh cry me a river. Try showing some patriotism as a German.

the-pi-guy

rofl.
"I'm proud of my country"
"YOU MONSTER!!"

Raven

I actually don't think there should be a problem with it at this point. You're not run by the same kind of government as you were about 70 years ago. Germany's transition and current place in the world should give you a lot to be proud of and you should be allowed to show it. I'd punch someone for you if they got on your case for it. So, maybe try to not be a sucker to someone who would sympathize with you?