The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

-GearVR is done.  Carmack gave a eulogy.  
-Google also dropped support.

Ouch that sucks but makes sense with dedicated mobile VR coming along.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for Rumored PSVR game:
<br><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Was recently made aware of a very exciting new PlayStation VR game coming out of London Studio. Not sure whether it&#39;ll be for PS4, PS5 or both, but it&#39;s really exciting, and an announcement could be on the Horizon...</p>&mdash; SpookyCallum (@MultiCallum) <a href="https://twitter.com/MultiCallum/status/1186782287897210885?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 22, 2019</a></blockquote><script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><br>

the-pi-guy

Was looking for things and came across this.

As silly as it is, it's stuff like this that I think VR will really change things.  

I think someday very soon, VR could be capable of replacing things like a piano, your cell phone, and your television.  

It won't be practical for an even longer time, but there's so much potential here, that it feels like it'll happen eventually.  

the-pi-guy

Starting this week, I'm moving to a "Consulting CTO" position with Oculus.

I will still have a voice in the development work, but it will only be consuming a modest slice of my time.

As for what I am going to be doing with the rest of my time: When I think back over everything I have done across games, aerospace, and VR, I have always felt that I had at least a vague "line of sight" to the solutions, even if they were unconventional or unproven. I have sometimes wondered how I would fare with a problem where the solution really isn't in sight. I decided that I should give it a try before I get too old.

I'm going to work on artificial general intelligence (AGI).

I think it is possible, enormously valuable, and that I have a non-negligible chance of making a difference there, so by a Pascal's Mugging sort of logic, I should be working on it

John Carmack Transitions To 'Consulting' Facebook/Oculus Technical Role

the-pi-guy

Legend

Legend

the-pi-guy

Hey stormland launched!!!
Yeah big few months for VR.  
Asgards Wrath
Stormland
Boneworks
Half Life details

Legend

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/e8w094/in_boneworks_if_you_get_close_enough_to_the_crt/
I remember being blown away the first time I saw this effect in a game. I love details like this.

Speaking of Boneworks, apparently it has broken VR physics Highly anticipated VR title Boneworks is a collection of VR sins | ResetEra

Whoo boy, this game has serious, serious problems. It commits all sorts of VR fouls that should not be committed, and is making people very sick in the process.

The heart of the problem? They physically simulate the player, including inverse kinematics, and the IK causes the game to constantly wrestle the camera away from the player in unnatural ways. The widely questioned "why does Half Life Alyx not have arms" in full demonstration here, the IK of even the arms in boneworks causes problems that actually results in people getting sick.

What an extreme disappointment.  

the-pi-guy

I remember being blown away the first time I saw this effect in a game. I love details like this.

Speaking of Boneworks, apparently it has broken VR physics Highly anticipated VR title Boneworks is a collection of VR sins | ResetEra

Well that's disappointing.  

the-pi-guy

I think a lot about the future of VR, obviously...

Right now there are 4 big companies that are leading the industry.  They're not the only ones making good VR headsets, but they're the ones selling them en masse.  (Sony, Facebook, HTC, Valve).  They're all very different.  

For HTC, VR is pretty much their big thing right now.  They don't have a lot to fall back on.  

For Facebook, they're probably investing the most in VR.  They obviously have a lot to fall back on, and tons of money to burn.  

Valve, is a small company, but they have Steam to fall back on.  They're in a weird place where they have enough that they can make good advances, but they're also probably smaller than any of the others.  

Sony is a big company like Facebook (they might not have as much money).  They're probably investing into VR at like a fifth of the rate FB is.  (Totally made up guestimate).  But they're interesting because they're working on all kinds of other technologies for other stuff that could actually be used on VR.  An example for this is there was a showing where Sucker Punch showed Infamous Second Son with eye tracking.  Sony has huge channels for hardware and software development.  

I'm sure none of them will really fall behind the others too substantially, but I usually think of Facebook having an edge.  But I think really the only company that I don't have much confidence in is HTC.  

Legend

Once Microsoft, Apple, or Google start doing consumer VR I think the future will be pretty safe. It feels like the industry needs just one more major player to push their own vision.

Compared to regular games Sony is Sony, Facebook is Microsoft, Valve is Valve, and all the others including htc at this point are like pc companies. We need a Nintendo equivalent still.

the-pi-guy

Go Up