disney plus

Started by kitler53, Apr 13, 2019, 03:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Apr 13, 2019, 03:44 PM Last Edit: Apr 13, 2019, 03:54 PM by kitler53
i feel like the whole internet is gushing over it.  am i the only one that think it looks like crud?

star wars - thats like 10 movies total in which all but 3 are crud.

marvel - i think they are overrated but more importantly we know they are being split between disney and

fox - in theory i'd like this content.  seems like most of the good stuff with go to hulu.  i do like simpsons but i also don't really care to rewatch it.  i don't need to relive the 1990s.

national geographic - i can't think of any content i'd care about.

disney and pixar - these are thing i'd care about the most but again the content is reaaly old and i have most of the best ones on dvd already.  also they said the entire pixar content would be availible for the first year so that means some of them are leaving afer that??

which speaking of old they arlready confirmed no day and date releases.  films will only be added after the theatrical and dvd release so it will come after i can already watch it from the library. and it isn't like disney makes that much content in a year.  new releases on disney plus will be what,.. one movie and show a week?.

and worst of all to me is all of the content it is "family" content.  sure, my kids would like it but unlike netflix which is very well rounded in their content disney plus is only going to feature family friendly content.  that mean i'd need to start subscribing to multiple services to make the whole family happy.  that means more expensive than netflix despite "disney plus's aggressive pricing strategy" which by they way they already confirmed is increasing after the first year. 

i got no beef with someone wanting this service but all of the "netflix is dead" narrative is such bull shirt.  disney plus looks to be a thing i may subsribe to for a couple years while my kids are still young but i'll cancel as soon as i can.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Netflix is "dead" imo not because Disney plus is better but because the streaming wars are now in full swing. Netflix is not the defacto option anymore. They have to spend more money to get users and they have to spend more money to get content. From my ignorant pov streaming will either have a crash or reinvent itself in the coming years.

On disney plus, I mostly agree with you. I don't have netflix either though. I use the library for everything.

kitler53

Netflix is "dead" imo not because Disney plus is better but because the streaming wars are now in full swing. Netflix is not the defacto option anymore. They have to spend more money to get users and they have to spend more money to get content. From my ignorant pov streaming will either have a crash or reinvent itself in the coming years.

On disney plus, I mostly agree with you. I don't have netflix either though. I use the library for everything.
netflix is still the defacto option for a cord cutter like me.  it has lots of content.  the content is high quality. the content is well rounded with something for everyone in the family.  if you can only afford one service netflix is still the only viable option. 

i think disney plus with quickly rose to the number 2 slot and the back of parents with kids. i think is amazon and hbo that will suffer the most.  and apple is now a non starter. hulu will rise in promidence so that netflix, disney, and hulu will be the big three.

i'll probably cancel amazon for disney.  amazon is rarely the cheapest place to buy online these days.  amazon's video has some good kids content but i haven't watched any of the adult content just because it is too few and too far between to care.  ..and they really iced their music sevice lately.  

the-pi-guy

I'm finding that they said "within the first year" for Pixar being available.  

Netflix definitely isn't dead.  It's doing well, and it's so far ahead of the pack.  It just isn't going to be as far ahead as it's been.

Disney+ is huge because it's bringing a ton of super popular content with the Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, etc.  Those are regular billion dollar movies.  I don't think it's enough to get people to cut Netflix though.  

Netflix:

Disney+:
It is expected that the service will have approximately 7,000 episodes of television and 500 movies.

The big advantage Disney has is that it's success is largely visible from Box Office reciepts.  Netflix's isn't.  So it's harder for anyone to tell how Netflix is doing.  I think that's a big reason why people think "Netflix is dead".

kitler53

Apr 14, 2019, 03:11 PM Last Edit: Apr 14, 2019, 03:45 PM by kitler53
I'm finding that they said "within the first year" for Pixar being available. 

Netflix definitely isn't dead.  It's doing well, and it's so far ahead of the pack.  It just isn't going to be as far ahead as it's been.

Disney+ is huge because it's bringing a ton of super popular content with the Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, etc.  Those are regular billion dollar movies.  I don't think it's enough to get people to cut Netflix though. 

Netflix:

Disney+:
It is expected that the service will have approximately 7,000 episodes of television and 500 movies.

The big advantage Disney has is that it's success is largely visible from Box Office reciepts.  Netflix's isn't.  So it's harder for anyone to tell how Netflix is doing.  I think that's a big reason why people think "Netflix is dead".
interesting graph.  what is the "unit" on tv shows?  it can't be episodes like disney is reporting.  seasons? series?

to bring disney's lack of content into focus,.. 7000 episodes means:
659/7000 = 9.4% of content is simpsons
151/7000 = 2.2% of content is malcom in the middle
100/7000 = 1.4% of content is thats so raven
99/7000 = 1.4% of content is hannah montana
= 14.4% of the tv content was announced in just 4 shows.