PS5: Holiday 2020, Hatpic Controller, 4k Blu Ray and More

Started by kitler53, Oct 08, 2019, 01:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Lots of new information worth talking about.  I haven't even finished reading yet but I have to go to a meeting so I'll just quickly paste the link and the summary from vgchartz.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Console details:

- Ray tracing support is hardware based
- New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming

Dualshock 5:

- Controller has now adaptive triggers
- Haptic feedback
- New speakers
- USB Type-C
- Better battery
- Heavier than DualShock 4, but lighter than a XBO controller with batteries in it

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

It's weird having console info just kinda come out in articles like this. Makes sense since this way they can get ahead of most leaks, but I still hope they save enough surprises for the full reveal.

Dr. Pezus

Interesting. The adaptive controller sounds nice

kitler53

Oct 08, 2019, 04:38 PM Last Edit: Oct 08, 2019, 04:49 PM by kitler53
It's weird having console info just kinda come out in articles like this. Makes sense since this way they can get ahead of most leaks, but I still hope they save enough surprises for the full reveal.
i kind of like it actually.  as exciting as it was to anticipate the ps4 reveal event the event itself was kind of boring.   announcing "hardware level ray tracing" isn't really going to benefit by having a big stage event announcement.  the best parts of the ps4 reveal was to see some of the game demos.  

these mini-announcements kind of scratches that same itch that leaks were satisfying previously while also being more fun to digest because it's real not a "possibility depending on if you trust the source or not".  it keeps the excitement of the next generation buzzing.  it invokes a deep curiosity on thinks like "i wonder what this haptic controller does?".  and whenever sony actually does an announcement show they can skip all the boring bits and get right to the games (i'll assume is true until proven otherwise).  

Interesting. The adaptive controller sounds nice
yeah, interesting but also immediately concerning.  if xbox, stadia, pc, ect. all don't have access to these features (and i have no reason to believe xbox's controller will clone these abilities) then like so many other "innovations" developers probably just won't give it much support.  it will be great for sony's first party but I wonder if it will really be worth the added cost to the controller.

we'll see.  i did take note of this line:

"Cerny hands me a prototype of the next-generation controller, an unlabeled matte-black doohickey that looks an awful lot like the PS4's DualShock 4." 

while i'm certainly making a bit of a presumption here i'll read that line as a "confirmation" that ps4's pointless touch pad was not dropped.  while i suppose a good thing for backward compatibility I also think that feature is a waste of space.  i can't think of any game that used it for anything other than a simple button to launch a menu or similar.  i think they could really improve the accessibility of the "options" "share" and "game menu" functionality by simply acknowledging that these are dedicated buttons the controller should have.  as is each of those buttons is a bit awkward to press.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

i kind of like it actually.  as exciting as it was to anticipate the ps4 reveal event the event itself was kind of boring.   announcing "hardware level ray tracing" isn't really going to benefit by having a big stage event announcement.  the best parts of the ps4 reveal was to see some of the game demos.  

these mini-announcements kind of scratches that same itch that leaks were satisfying previously while also being more fun to digest because it's real not a "possibility depending on if you trust the source or not".  it keeps the excitement of the next generation buzzing.  it invokes a deep curiosity on thinks like "i wonder what this haptic controller does?".  and whenever sony actually does an announcement show they can skip all the boring bits and get right to the games (i'll assume is true until proven otherwise).  

yeah, interesting but also immediately concerning.  if xbox, stadia, pc, ect. all don't have access to these features (and i have no reason to believe xbox's controller will clone these abilities) then like so many other "innovations" developers probably just won't give it much support.  it will be great for sony's first party but I wonder if it will really be worth the added cost to the controller.

we'll see.  i did take note of this line:

"Cerny hands me a prototype of the next-generation controller, an unlabeled matte-black doohickey that looks an awful lot like the PS4's DualShock 4."

while i'm certainly making a bit of a presumption here i'll read that line as a "confirmation" that ps4's pointless touch pad was not dropped.  while i suppose a good thing for backward compatibility I also think that feature is a waste of space.  i can't think of any game that used it for anything other than a simple button to launch a menu or similar.  i think they could really improve the accessibility of the "options" "share" and "game menu" functionality by simply acknowledging that these are dedicated buttons the controller should have.  as is each of those buttons is a bit awkward to press.
Astro Bot used it well

SWORDF1SH

What are adaptive triggers?

the-pi-guy

What are adaptive triggers?
The triggers can vary how hard it resists a press.  
Imagine picking up a shotgun or a handgun in a game and one of them requiring more of a press to use.  

Dr. Pezus

Aren't the analog sticks adaptive as well?

Xevross

All this shame sounds amazing. I'm hyped.

BananaKing

Oct 08, 2019, 10:54 PM Last Edit: Oct 08, 2019, 10:57 PM by BananaKing
All this shame sounds amazing. I'm hyped.
I hope price isnt that high though. But it seems I'm not gonna buy early this gen.

i kind of like it actually.  as exciting as it was to anticipate the ps4 reveal event the event itself was kind of boring.   announcing "hardware level ray tracing" isn't really going to benefit by having a big stage event announcement.  the best parts of the ps4 reveal was to see some of the game demos.  

these mini-announcements kind of scratches that same itch that leaks were satisfying previously while also being more fun to digest because it's real not a "possibility depending on if you trust the source or not".  it keeps the excitement of the next generation buzzing.  it invokes a deep curiosity on thinks like "i wonder what this haptic controller does?".  and whenever sony actually does an announcement show they can skip all the boring bits and get right to the games (i'll assume is true until proven otherwise).  

yeah, interesting but also immediately concerning.  if xbox, stadia, pc, ect. all don't have access to these features (and i have no reason to believe xbox's controller will clone these abilities) then like so many other "innovations" developers probably just won't give it much support.  it will be great for sony's first party but I wonder if it will really be worth the added cost to the controller.

we'll see.  i did take note of this line:

while i'm certainly making a bit of a presumption here i'll read that line as a "confirmation" that ps4's pointless touch pad was not dropped.  while i suppose a good thing for backward compatibility I also think that feature is a waste of space.  i can't think of any game that used it for anything other than a simple button to launch a menu or similar.  i think they could really improve the accessibility of the "options" "share" and "game menu" functionality by simply acknowledging that these are dedicated buttons the controller should have.  as is each of those buttons is a bit awkward to press.
I love the touchpad, but only because it offers more buttons basically. And is usually a shortcut to the map in most games.

What I really want added in controllers is the rear paddles. Those can add so much to gameplay.

Legend

I hope price isnt that high though. But it seems I'm not gonna buy early this gen.
I love the touchpad, but only because it offers more buttons basically. And is usually a shortcut to the map in most games.

What I really want added in controllers is the rear paddles. Those can add so much to gameplay.
I'd really love to have Vita's back touchpad in place of rear paddles. Can tap it or slide up and down!

BananaKing

I'd really love to have Vita's back touchpad in place of rear paddles. Can tap it or slide up and down!
But touch pads dont offer any feedback. It wont be accurate  like buttons.

Legend

But touch pads dont offer any feedback. It wont be accurate  like buttons.
How many buttons do you need? Make it like the DS4 touchpad so it can be clicked and act like a single button.

(obviously they will never do this lol)

BananaKing

How many buttons do you need? Make it like the DS4 touchpad so it can be clicked and act like a single button.

(obviously they will never do this lol)
At least one each side. But it would have to be adopted by MS as well so it can  become a standard. Which I dont think will happen

Legend

At least one each side. But it would have to be adopted by MS as well so it can  become a standard. Which I dont think will happen
Being real, I don't think it should become a standard. Video game controllers are already incredibly confusing to new players and buttons on the back that can't be seen would make it way worse. It's better imo to leave it as a configurable option like on the Xbox Elite controller.