COVID-19

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 10, 2020, 04:46 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Best buy: paid extra hourly for coming in, totally optional to work.  

Walmart: we are starting the day earlier for the seniors and closing earlier for cleaning.  :P

the-pi-guy

Looking at the break down that Italy has for the disease:

There's a stark contrast between younger and older people, not just in deaths but also cases.  This is a little outdated but I doubt it changed much.  

Above the age of 50, makes up 75% of all cases.  This suggests to me that symptoms are very mild for people under 50, and that they are not being diagnosed at all.  So the true numbers are probably higher than we think.  It could be from all kinds of causes, but this is what seems most likely.  

My speculation seems backed up by the death rates.  Which again, show that death rates grow by age.  

It is interesting, and a bit relieving for me that the disease seems to have a very strong age preference.  

I know a lot of diseases affect the old and the young due to immune systems not being developed, but this seems like it almost exclusively affects the elderly.  

the-pi-guy

probably not.  cities will always be harder hit than rual.  trump supporters are inheritaly at lower risk than democrates.   it's probably part of why there is a big partisan divide on this issue,.. yeah a bit of drinking the trump cool aid but also a guy on a farm where the nearest neighbor is 1/2 a mile, the nearest town is 5 miles, and the town only has 10,000 total.    ..their whole lives is more "socially distant" then mine is right now despite the shelter in place order.
I wonder if age or urban vs rural is a better predictor for political partisanship.

kitler53

I wonder if age or urban vs rural is a better predictor for political partisanship.
in today's political environment i think location is a far bigger indicator of political association than age.  cities are overwhelmingly democrat.  rural is overwhelmingly republican.  

neither is like 100% mind you but the split by location can easily skew above the 75/25 range.  this is why conservatives have been soo effective at gerrymandering.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

US added 17,000 cases today.

This whole thing is iced.

kitler53

US added 17,000 cases today.

This whole thing is iced.
What?!?!

...i read 18,058.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

What?!?!

...i read 18,058.
They were still counting.  
Final total is apparently over 20,000.  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

While it's hard to compare a day to day basis, we really need data on a weekly basis, here are some things that are hopefully good news:

Italy: recoveries have gone up this past week, new cases has remained relatively stable.  In raw numbers, not even percentage wise, so the news seems even better.

US: new cases also seems to have tapered down some.  We were seeing 30+% new cases, now down around 23
Trump is also seeing an approval decline

the-pi-guy

https://www.newsweek.com/mississippi-now-has-highest-rate-coronavirus-hospitalizations-united-states-1495753

Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves on Wednesday ordered all state residents to "shelter in place" after resisting such a move for several weeks. The order goes into effect on Friday at 5 p.m. CT and lasts through April 20 at 8 a.m.

"Every day, for the last several weeks, I have asked our health experts whether it is time for the ultimate action of a shelter-in-place order statewide," Reeves said in announcing the order, the Biloxi Sun Herald reported.

"Yesterday, for the first time, we got the answer we had been anticipating. They told me we are now at the point in Mississippi's cycle where such drastic restrictions are required. Today is the day," the Republican governor said. "We are announcing a shelter-in-place order."

the-pi-guy

Good: US case growth has slowed.

Bad: might partially be down to lack of testing.  

Bad: US deaths went past 1,000 yesterday.  A week from now we will likely be looking at 4,000+ every single day.  

This is about to turn into a disaster in the US. Feel sorry for Americans. It's never been more clear how incompetent and godawful their president is.
My uncle believes that the response is up to the states and that the federal is doing a great job.  

Dr. Pezus

Over 700 deaths in the UK in a day. Most western countries seem to be going the same way as Italy. I'm proud of the Icelandic response, but the size of the country no doubt helps.

Legend

Over 700 deaths in the UK in a day. Most western countries seem to be going the same way as Italy. I'm proud of the Icelandic response, but the size of the country no doubt helps.
How are you doing during all of this?

the-pi-guy

South Korea acted fast.  

They quarantine when sick and then they do contact investigations to see who else got sick.  
They are seeing recoveries faster than new sicknesses.

Go Up