General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I feel like Swordfish is getting revenge on me!

Xevross

Jan 22, 2019, 10:17 AM Last Edit: Jan 22, 2019, 10:20 AM by Xevross
Why does Canada lag so far behind Europe in terms of required paid vacation days for employees? (3rd worst, behind USA which is 0 days) | ResetEra

I mean, look at this. Canada ranks 3rd last in nations (10 day mandate), the only ones being worse are Japan and the USA.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-ranks-3rd-last-in-paid-vacations-1.1306523

Canada ranks third last among economically advanced countries in the amount of paid vacation time it guarantees its workers, a new U.S. study indicates.

The country, which for the most part mandates 10 vacation days annually, ranks ahead of only Japan and the United States, which is in last place.

Japan also requires 10 days paid vacation for workers, but unlike Canada has no paid statutory holidays. The U.S. -- the "no-vacation nation" -- doesn't guarantee any paid vacation, the study says.  Click to expand...      "In the absence of government standards, almost one in four Americans has no paid vacation (23 per cent) and no paid holidays (23 per cent)," says the report, which was published in Washington by the Center for Economic and Policy Research.  Click to expand...      The authors call the U.S. "the only advanced economy in the world that does not guarantee its workers paid vacation."

They don't delve into the economic or health effects of vacation laws.

In Canada, provincial law governs annual paid leave unless the employee falls under federal jurisdiction, the study notes. All provinces guarantee two weeks paid vacation, except for Saskatchewan, which mandates three weeks.  Click to expand...      The best countries for paid vacation are:

• France: 30 days.
  • The United Kingdom: 28 days.
  • The Scandinavian countries of Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden: 25 days.
Click to expand...  I'll repeat, employers in countries such as France and the United Kingdom are required on part of their governments to grant A WHOLE MONTH of paid vacation time to ALL employees.

Why is Canada so far behind in this requirement?

And are most Americans even aware their worker rights are total crud compared to a bulk of European nations?   
[/size]

TIL you don't have legal rights to paid leave in the US... wtf is wrong with you America?

Kinda surprised the UK is the second most with 28 paid days leave a year, I always thought that was just kind of standard.

You still get paid leave on bank/ public holidays in the US right?

the-pi-guy

Why does Canada lag so far behind Europe in terms of required paid vacation days for employees? (3rd worst, behind USA which is 0 days) | ResetEra

TIL you don't have legal rights to paid leave in the US... wtf is wrong with you America?

Kinda surprised the UK is the second most with 28 paid days leave a year, I always thought that was just kind of standard.

You still get paid leave on bank/ public holidays in the US right?
Paid leave is to the discretion of the employer.  

"Similarly, 77% of private employers give their employees paid time off during public holidays, on average 8 holidays per year"

Oh it's even in the Era page!  
"In the absence of government standards, almost one in four Americans has no paid vacation (23 per cent) and no paid holidays (23 per cent)"

There are still some people who likely think paid vacation hurts small business.  

But the biggest reason, we don't have some of these things is because politicians don't realize how popular they are.  

Xevross

Paid leave is to the discretion of the employer.  

"Similarly, 77% of private employers give their employees paid time off during public holidays, on average 8 holidays per year"

Oh it's even in the Era page!  
"In the absence of government standards, almost one in four Americans has no paid vacation (23 per cent) and no paid holidays (23 per cent)"

There are still some people who likely think paid vacation hurts small business.  

But the biggest reason, we don't have some of these things is because politicians don't realize how popular they are.  
Seems like a no brainer. 20+ days paid leave is probably a bonus for small business, due to the productivity increase. I couldn't imagine going without any paid leave, those poor people in the USA (of all places) who have to suffer that. Mind blowing.

the-pi-guy

Seems like a no brainer. 20+ days paid leave is probably a bonus for small business, due to the productivity increase.
There are some people who don't believe it exists.  That the more you work, the more productive you are (see Elon Musk...)

I couldn't imagine going without any paid leave, those poor people in the USA (of all places) who have to suffer that. Mind blowing.
:(

nnodley

Where I currently work we get 10 days paid vacation days. Some of them roll over if you don't use them all.  

Plus as long as we get all our projects done we get like 12-14 paid days off from the week of christmas through new years.  We got it this year which was dope.

the-pi-guy

Had a dream that Legend had a thread about how he liked border walls, but only because they are smooth unlike mountains.

He included some comparisons that looked like Age of Empires walls.  

Legend

Had a dream that Legend had a thread about how he liked border walls, but only because they are smooth unlike mountains.

He included some comparisons that looked like Age of Empires walls.  
Oh man did I love building walls in Age of Empires.

Also have you ever had a computer dream before? They're supposedly really rare.

the-pi-guy

I've had a couple that I can remember vaguely right now.  They do seem pretty rare, I don't get many despite how much time I spend on computers.

Xevross

Computer dream as in you're on a computer or you are in a computer?

Legend

Computer dream as in you're on a computer or you are in a computer?
Using a computer.

Xevross

Using a computer.
Right. I don't think that has happened many times to me.

the-pi-guy

Using a computer.
Have you had such a dream?  

I've been having fewer dreams the past few months.  

Legend

Have you had such a dream?  

I've been having fewer dreams the past few months.  
I've had a fair amount. They're almost always about the forum breaking and me not being able to fix it because nothing makes any sense. I think I've only had one dream where the computer actually functioned.

the-pi-guy

The weather forecast for wednesday is a high of -9F/-22C.

Not including wind chill.  :P

Go Up