General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BasilZero

i havent even seen a kmart since i was a kid.. i thought they all bit the dust in the 90's lol   I had a zellers nearby but it was replaced with a target.

kmart actually got bought by Sears believe it or not - which in itself barely exists...at least in my area lol.

Kmart was actually more common in the 1990s in my area but now barely any - same with Sears - now there is just one in my area lol.

Another store I miss greatly is Toys R Us - not the same it was before and there was this big one in my area which had a huge gaming section - nowadays its just small :(.

DD_Bwest

we still got lots of sears where im at. but no kmarts at all.      I can think of a couple toy r us,  but only 1 real big one and its not wat it was in its glory days lol

Legend

A few kmarts right around me and a ton of sears.

the-pi-guy

A few times, I've seen my coworkers push people towards a faster router, despite the fact that they probably wouldn't see any difference compared to a slower one.  :P

Legend

A few times, I've seen my coworkers push people towards a faster router, despite the fact that they probably wouldn't see any difference compared to a slower one.  :P

But does the faster router have better wifi?

the-pi-guy

But does the faster router have better wifi?

More than likely.  Haven't looked, but they just talk about numbers. 
"Streaming?  You'll probably only need this 300 one."  "Playing games a lot?  I think the 600 or better would be better for you."

Legend

More than likely.  Haven't looked, but they just talk about numbers. 
"Streaming?  You'll probably only need this 300 one."  "Playing games a lot?  I think the 600 or better would be better for you."

600 dollars!?

Legend

All these people online, and yet no posts :(

the-pi-guy

All these people online, and yet no posts :(

It's because I wasn't here. 

the-pi-guy

600 dollars!?

600 mbps.  :P
Overall I doubt many people would have internet fast enough to take advantage of it. 

Most of my coworkers know enough to be able to answer stuff accurately-ish, but then there's the other guy, who always seems clueless. 

7H3

600 mbps.  :P
Overall I doubt many people would have internet fast enough to take advantage of it. 

Most of my coworkers know enough to be able to answer stuff accurately-ish, but then there's the other guy, who always seems clueless. 

where that speed really comes into play is how many devices are connected to the wifi I think...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

where that speed really comes into play is how many devices are connected to the wifi I think...

Yeah but only if they are talking locally right? The internet speed would still be the bottleneck.

the-pi-guy

Yeah but only if they are talking locally right? The internet speed would still be the bottleneck.

This is something that I'm not sure they understand.  Or maybe they think that the router speed helps the internet speed.  It's not like they are trying to sell anything either.  If they honestly believe another store has something better, they tell them to go there. 

7H3

The internet speed is the bottle neck for everything coming through the router, but the modem speed is what boosts your capability to use multiple devices. 300 should be enough for like 3 devices with light usage, but more devices the more speed you want. It also means that what is coming into the router is being sent out faster to those devices. Like getting on the freeway, before getting on you can only go 30-40 mph, but once your on you can open it up and truly speed as long as the cops don't catch you. Even still you don't get to the freeway any faster, but once there you can get a decent boost.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

But internet speed is not bandwidth. That'd be like your example driving on to the freeway as far as lanes go.. More lanes, but no effect?

Go Up