General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

i found it interesting that public school means two completely different things between US and UK

You don't really say public school in the UK, its just school. The alternative is private school which you have to pay for

7H3

from what I read (i don't live there so no firsthand knowledge) was that public school meant schools that were open to all students yet could still be what in the US is considered private schools, and private schools were more elitist in who was accepted
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Xevross

from what I read (i don't live there so no firsthand knowledge) was that public school meant schools that were open to all students yet could still be what in the US is considered private schools, and private schools were more elitist in who was accepted

Right, public schools are free and anyone can get into them. Private schools are paid for (usually very expensive) and can be the type where you live at them as well.

Dr. Pezus

I actually found out about this when asking Cone about his school. 
He said he didn't go to school, he goes to University.  Which made no sense to me at all, until a minute later, I went investigating. 

The heck? It's both a school and a University...
Just like apples are both fruits and apples

the-pi-guy

Not in the UK.

Xevross

An Apple is a type of fruit, a University is not a type of school. School just refers to Primary and Secondary Education (Primary School and High School). To refer to them all at once you just have to say education system

Legend

An Apple is a type of fruit, a University is not a type of school. School just refers to Primary and Secondary Education (Primary School and High School). To refer to them all at once you just have to say education system

Definition of SCHOOL1   :  an organization that provides instruction: as  a   :  an institution for the teaching of children  b   :  college, university  c (1)   :  a group of scholars and teachers pursuing knowledge together that with similar groups constituted a medieval university (2)   :  one of the four faculties of a medieval university (3)   :  an institution for specialized higher education often associated with a university <the school of engineering>  d   :  an establishment offering specialized instruction <a secretarial school> <driving schools>

http://i.imgur.com/JXVLg.jpg

the-pi-guy

(In the UK and many commonwealth nations.)
In North America, School means any institution where you learn. 

the-pi-guy

Xevross

lol Legend I'm not talking about official terms, just how its referred to in the UK. In the US I guess if you say school you mean any type of education whereas here if you say school everyone will think you are talking about primary or secondary.

Plz no fight we good friends

the-pi-guy

lol Legend I'm not talking about official terms, just how its referred to in the UK. In the US I guess if you say school you mean any type of education whereas here if you say school everyone will think you are talking about primary or secondary.

Plz no fight we good friends

You brought this upon yourself.   :P

Xevross

You brought this upon yourself.   :P

I regret it now. I didn't expect it to escalate!

Legend

This war has already started.

It ends when we die.

Xevross

This war has already started.

It ends when we die.

*brings out the rocket launcher* ....fine then

Legend

*brings out the rocket launcher* ....fine then

*Brings out sig editing power* ...it's on

Go Up